i got took

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill44

Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
99
i was lead to beleave that i could become a prem member and get downloads from the database for free why would i pay the prem charge and still pay for winn500,this is a great radio help page if you know what your doing,i give up sending the prs600 to the tras
bend
 

k8mcn

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
240
Location
Old Monroe,MO
bill44 said:
i was lead to beleave that i could become a prem member and get downloads from the database for free why would i pay the prem charge and still pay for winn500,this is a great radio help page if you know what your doing,i give up sending the prs600 to the tras
bend
A lot of us pay the "premium" and never download anything from the database-------We subscribe cause we just appreciate the site and want to keep it going..........
 

Highpockets

Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2003
Messages
3,796
Location
New Jersey
bill44 said:
i was lead to beleave that i could become a prem member and get downloads from the database for free why would i pay the prem charge and still pay for winn500,this is a great radio help page if you know what your doing,i give up sending the prs600 to the tras
bend
Did you install win500 (30 day free trial) if so, try the import from rr database, take your time , once you get the idea, you'll be fine. If you have to much trouble, lost, leave a post in your home state forum, maybe someone who lives near you and has a file already set for your area will send it to you, then just upload it to your scanner using win 500. Then once you see that file in win500 you'll see how the info is entered into the program, and once you see it, it will all come to you. before you know it, you'll have it down, and setting it up the way you want it. :) :) :)
 

AZScanner

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
3,352
Location
Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
bill44 said:
i was lead to beleave that i could become a prem member and get downloads from the database for free why would i pay the prem charge and still pay for winn500,this is a great radio help page if you know what your doing,i give up sending the prs600 to the tras
bend
Sigh. I'll never figure out how someone can spend $500 on a scanner and then gripe and moan about paying less than $50 for software and db access to go with it.

Look at it this way. You get paid by the hour for your time, do you not? Well, how many hours does it take to program one of these monster scanners by hand? Multiply that by how much you get paid per hour and then see how much that is compared to how much you spent on the software and db access. I think you'll soon see you're getting quite a bargain, even if you only pull down minimum wage.

I have written scanner software in the past. I know all too well what goes into it. It's a damn near worthless endeavour when you factor in the hate mails, nasty messageboard posts, idiot users (I mean seriously, one guy emailed me wanting a refund because he didn't know you needed a SCANNER to use my software. JEEZUS!), haggling dealers who whittle you down to the bare minimum price and then only order a handful of copies and then send EVERY SINGLE problem customer YOUR WAY, long hours (it's not uncommon to spend about 500+ hours designing, writing, testing and debugging ONE program), late nights, lost sleep, did I mention hate mail? How about hate WEBSITES - I had one, the guy practically accused me of being everything but Hitler. Then he somehow got my phone number and started leaving harrassing phone calls even AFTER I refunded his money. I finally had to change my number and go unlisted for a while.

Seriously. Stop and think about what you wrote here. No one took your money, you just need to spend a little more to get full use of the feature you subscribed to. It's not rocket science.

-AZ
 

cpuerror

Member
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
1,200
Location
Ontario, Canada
AZScanner said:
I have written scanner software in the past. I know all too well what goes into it. It's a damn near worthless endeavour when you factor in the hate mails, nasty messageboard posts, <snip> haggling dealers who whittle you down to the bare minimum price and then <snip> did I mention hate mail? How about hate WEBSITES -

<snip>


-AZ

Thankfully never had anyone e-mail me any nasty grams. Sometimes people would run into a bit of trouble and get frustrated, but ofcourse refunds are a bit of a non-issue for me. Thats why I give my stuff away, no money, no hassles. I live in the middle of nowhere in the frozen white north, and there is not much else to do other then write scanner software (and induldge in vices). Just out of curiousity what program have you authored?



EDIT: Removed attempt at guessing program's name
 
Last edited:

bill44

Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
99
please forgive me

i was just blowing off steam this is a great site , i get alot of i nfo on it ,i dont understand computer or downloads its just frustation sorry for blowing up
bill
 

AZScanner

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
3,352
Location
Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
cpuerror said:
Just out of curiousity what program have you authored?
I was the brains behind the WinScan series. My partner was the one that handled the sales and support - and he did a pretty thorough job of pissing off alot of people, dealers and customers both. :roll: To be honest, I'm a much better programmer now than I was then. I look at some of my old code and go "ugh... I can't believe I did that". But overall, the programs worked pretty well and I tried to squash all the bugs I could. After a while though it just got to be too much for too little, and then Police Call dried up, so that was the nail in the coffin. To be honest, it was just as much of a relief as it was a dissappointment.

I might get back into it if I ever get the time, but it will be nowhere near the "let's take over the world" level it was in the past. It would be nice though to have some extra money for a PSR500... so maybe.

-AZ
 

Highpockets

Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2003
Messages
3,796
Location
New Jersey
AZScanner said:
I was the brains behind the WinScan series. My partner was the one that handled the sales and support - and he did a pretty thorough job of pissing off alot of people, dealers and customers both. :roll: To be honest, I'm a much better programmer now than I was then. I look at some of my old code and go "ugh... I can't believe I did that". But overall, the programs worked pretty well and I tried to squash all the bugs I could. After a while though it just got to be too much for too little, and then Police Call dried up, so that was the nail in the coffin. To be honest, it was just as much of a relief as it was a dissappointment.

I might get back into it if I ever get the time, but it will be nowhere near the "let's take over the world" level it was in the past. It would be nice though to have some extra money for a PSR500... so maybe.

-AZ
Is your first name John?
 

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
7,486
Location
Carroll Co OH / EN90LN
bill44 said:
i was lead to beleave that i could become a prem member and get downloads from the database for free why would i pay the prem charge and still pay for winn500,this is a great radio help page if you know what your doing,i give up sending the prs600 to the tras
bend
I have a trash bin with plenty of room - so if you're still sending it to the trash bin, send it to mine.

The reason why you would pay the premium charge _and_ still pay for Win500 is because they are two different beasts - two different services. You pay Don Starr for the Win500 software that you use to program your scanner and you pay RadioReference for the ability to use Win500 to download system data and import it directly into your scanner.

The two work hand in hand, but are in no way affiliated with each other. So if you pay Radio Reference for the premium subscription, this in no way benefits Don Starr (who wrote the program you'd be using to program your scanner), and if you pay Don Starr for the Win500 program and you don't pay RadioReference for the Premium Subscription, then Lindsay Blanton would not get paid for the fine work he puts into creating/maintaining the APIs that are used to allow Win500 and other programs to access the data via webservice and import it into your scanner :)

I know, you were frustrated... it does seem that purchasing the $500 dollar scanner is never enough - there is always something more one has to get to have the 'complete package.' But, both the RR subscription and Don Starr's software are well worth the money you would pay for them in the long run. I'd encourage you to take another stab at it, and ask questions on here if you need to.

Mike
 

Dewey

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
977
mtindor said:
I have a trash bin with plenty of room - so if you're still sending it to the trash bin, send it to mine.

The reason why you would pay the premium charge _and_ still pay for Win500 is because they are two different beasts - two different services. You pay Don Starr for the Win500 software that you use to program your scanner and you pay RadioReference for the ability to use Win500 to download system data and import it directly into your scanner.

The two work hand in hand, but are in no way affiliated with each other. So if you pay Radio Reference for the premium subscription, this in no way benefits Don Starr (who wrote the program you'd be using to program your scanner), and if you pay Don Starr for the Win500 program and you don't pay RadioReference for the Premium Subscription, then Lindsay Blanton would not get paid for the fine work he puts into creating/maintaining the APIs that are used to allow Win500 and other programs to access the data via webservice and import it into your scanner :)

I know, you were frustrated... it does seem that purchasing the $500 dollar scanner is never enough - there is always something more one has to get to have the 'complete package.' But, both the RR subscription and Don Starr's software are well worth the money you would pay for them in the long run. I'd encourage you to take another stab at it, and ask questions on here if you need to.

Mike
Very well said, and let's not overlook the fact the buying the actual PSr600 did not help Lindsay Blanton OR Don Starr.

Dewey
 

kevins669

Member
Database Admin
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
418
Location
New Orleans, LA
Premium Subscription Features

In addition to the below special reporting features and search functions for the database, Premium Subscribers also have access to the RadioReference.com Web Service, which allows numerous programming applications to access the database directly, providing an easy to use process for programming scanners and communications equipment with data directly from the RadioReference Database. See the Web Service Application Support section for a list of applications that directly support this valuable Web Service.

Why did you not read what you were paying for?

What you pay to RR gets you the above, helps keep this great site here, and a whole lot more.

What you pay for the programming application to access the database directly gets you just that - and a whole lot more.


-- Kevin
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top