• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

I have a C.B. coax question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
OK on the 2K linear. Well that is a bit much, you're just going to cause a lot of splatter and over modulate as the cb freqs are space pretty close together but to each his own.

Rich - N3VMY - KAG0096

prcguy

I have a box of them that failed and several brands. They have a thin plastic insulator inside the connector and when you tighten them it squeezes the thin plastic and it cold flows over time loosening the mount. Tighten again and the plastic flows, etc, until the plastic gives way and it shorts internally.

I've had that type of mount for twenty years. Never fail yet.

Metalhead396

I have a box of them that failed and several brands. They have a thin plastic insulator inside the connector and when you tighten them it squeezes the thin plastic and it cold flows over time loosening the mount. Tighten again and the plastic flows, etc, until the plastic gives way and it shorts internally.
You are correct in that. I am constantly checking on everything. Just in case.

JayMojave

Hello M396: PRCGuy has been around for a long time and his suggestions are from his experiences over many years. But If your mount has worked for 20 years good deal.

The 102 inch 1/4 wavelength antenna works quit well as compared to the smaller antennas period. As said be before mounting the antenna on top center of the cab is the way to go. Yeah its hit low lying wires and such but its a better installation than the one in your photo, because the metal slightly effects the antennas performance and SWR. I run my 102 whip antenna on top of the cab and it works great. I like the "Carl Made Amp" looks like a good system there.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert..... "Next Gas 150 Miles"

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I run 10 to 15 watts on 10 meters and can easily get hundreds of miles when conditions are good. No matter how many watts you put out, atmospheric conditions will dictate range, especially from a low antenna height that a vechicle has.

prcguy

The window openings on the truck at 27MHz are very small in wavelengths so the inside of the cab should be fairly well shielded. Personally I would not be concerned but I also have E field meters to test for safety.

You run 2000 watts on 27 MHz with an antenna that is within three feet of your body? Maybe you should take a look at the effects of RF. There are plenty of RF Safety Calculators on the web.

bill4long

You run 2000 watts on 27 MHz with an antenna that is within three feet of your body? Maybe you should take a look at the effects of RF. There are plenty of RF Safety Calculators on the web.

^^^ That. The current situation is beyond loony IMO.

jhooten

BTW, 27.205 (Channel 20) is not the middle of the band. 27.185 (channel 19) is. 27.965 (chan 1) + 27.405 (chan 40) / 2 = 27.185. And the superbowl is 27.025 (channel 6)

KD8HMJ

as a ham for years after growing up with the cb band first the last thing i would do is advertise a kw plus where it doesnt belong and secondly if the conditions arent right no matter what you run isnt going to get you across the street anyways. been there done that. get your ham ticket and call it a day.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Folks, let's stay on topic and answer the OP's question.

Status
Not open for further replies.