I have a odd ? Or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProLaw1

So here’s my ? Is it possible that a Uniden BCD325p2 could lose sensitivity over time, as in 4 years of moderate use, has never left house or been abused,just curious TIA

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Any nearby transmitters? Nearby meaning antennas in close proximity, same tower/mast.?

ProLaw1

How is the weather channel reception?
Have not tried that one yet to see what’s happening,just FYI I have 2 of these siting next to each other,and both are programmed the same and the newer seems to be working a lot better than the older one, I get full bars On the display from the p25 site I’m monitoring from the newer scanner and 3 to no bars on the older scanner

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Try swapping the antennas between the two scanners. While you might not see any physical damage, like the pin on the connector, it's at least possible that there could be damage inside the antenna, which is not visible due to the rubber covering.

Have you also verified that the squelch settings on the two are the same, and that on the one that seems to be somewhat deaf, that the attenuator has not been turned on by accident"

ProLaw1

is attenuation on, on one of them ?
That’s off on both scanners
Try swapping the antennas between the two scanners. While you might not see any physical damage, like the pin on the connector, it's at least possible that there could be damage inside the antenna, which is not visible due to the rubber covering.

Have you also verified that the squelch settings on the two are the same, and that on the one that seems to be somewhat deaf, that the attenuator has not been turned on by accident"
squelch is set to 3,attenuator is off, and just to be on the safe side I went ahead and ordered a Remtronix REM 800B replacement antenna off eBay

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
That’s off on both scanners

squelch is set to 3,attenuator is off, and just to be on the safe side I went ahead and ordered a Remtronix REM 800B replacement antenna off eBay
I still would try swapping antennas between the two. If the "problem" switches scanners along with the antennas, then you know it's an antenna, not a scanner, problem, and you've already got a replacement on order.

Reactions: wtp

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
If, after you’ve followed all good previous advice, the scanner still performs poorly, send it in to Uniden for repair. Hopefully it’s still under warrenty. Call first for an RMA.

ProLaw1

I still would try swapping antennas between the two. If the "problem" switches scanners along with the antennas, then you know it's an antenna, not a scanner, problem, and you've already got a replacement on order.
Yep I tried it and a little improvement, but instead of showing 0 bars it was showing intermittently 1 to 3 bars now

ProLaw1

If, after you’ve followed all good previous advice, the scanner still performs poorly, send it in to Uniden for repair. Hopefully it’s still under warrenty. Call first for an RMA.
Not under warranty anymore,it’s about 4 years old, it’s strange because the scanner seems to work great otherwise

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Without having a SERVICE MONITOR the only way to test is to share the same antenna at the same time with both scanners programmed the same. You also could have 1 scanner interfering with the other scanner.

wtp

also have you switched the radio around on their spots ?
my wife's 396XT was sounding horrible, so i moved it 4 inches, and it went from horrible, to, i can listen to that.
INCHES MATTER.

Status
Not open for further replies.