I have all of the updates DMR, ProVoice and Still issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevOps2016

Hi everyone, again I am new to this world and this forum has been awesome, but I still am experiencing some issues and I would like to know what causes this. I am in Grand Prairie Texas, I set up GP Police and FD using sentinel, I see both there however when ever the scanner lands on GP Police the sound is always garbled you can't understand anything and the signal strength is at 5 bars. Has anyone else seen this and if so how did you resolve this issue? My main reason for buying the BCD436HP was to listen to my cities PD and FD and all other cities are secondary. Thanks in advance everyone.

ChrisABQ

Question is, is it completely unreadable or just garbled and you can understand some of the radio traffic?
Since your PD is on a P25 Phase 2 system, there are two reasons for this issue. Either it's encrypted (scanner should be going quite for these as it's programmed to do so) or its simulcast distortion. The best bet is to go to the nearest tower that you're trying to listen to and see if it's still distorted. If it's not, then simulcast distortion is the reason. You will need a "directional" antenna that receives on that specific tower location. Simulcast distortion happens when the radio is receiving signals from 2 or more tower locations and it tries to make sense of everything at one time. I currently deal with the same issue, but with 3 neighboring departments using analog simulcast.

kevOps2016

Question is, is it completely unreadable or just garbled and you can understand some of the radio traffic?
Since your PD is on a P25 Phase 2 system, there are two reasons for this issue. Either it's encrypted (scanner should be going quite for these as it's programmed to do so) or its simulcast distortion. The best bet is to go to the nearest tower that you're trying to listen to and see if it's still distorted. If it's not, then simulcast distortion is the reason. You will need a "directional" antenna that receives on that specific tower location. Simulcast distortion happens when the radio is receiving signals from 2 or more tower locations and it tries to make sense of everything at one time. I currently deal with the same issue, but with 3 neighboring departments using analog simulcast.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Chris

kevOps2016

Good reason to do your "due diligence" and research since so many are encrypting. Looks like Fire may still be OK.

I agree, I should have done more research. I simply thought this was due to moving to p25 vs being encrypted as I use to listen online and all of a sudden the support disappeared with no reason why outside of GP was moving from Analog to p25.

I did however search and for Grand Prairie police the below shows GP PD Talk 1, and 2 are Digital only Dispatch shows with an E, So I figured it was still good, so I bought the scanner and the upgrades and boom still a no
Grand Prairie (Site 1-07) Talkgroups

DEC HEX Mode Alpha Tag Description Tag
7153 1bf1 E GP PD 1 Police 1 North Law Dispatch
7154 1bf2 E GP PD 2 Police 2 South Law Dispatch
7159 1bf7 D GP PD Talk 1 Police Talk 1 Law Tac
7160 1bf8 D GP PD Talk 2 Police Talk 2 Law Tac
7161 1bf9 E GP PD Traf Police Traffic Law Tac
7142 1be6 E GP PD NCIC Police NCIC/Info Law Tac
7146 1bea E GP PD Jail Police Jail Law Tac
7166 1bfe T GP FD Disp Fire Dispatch Fire Dispatch
7167 1bff T GP FD FG 1 Fireground 1 Fire-Tac

Status