I have DMR up and running, should I get Dstar too in 2020?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb0ap

Premium Subscriber
Hi guys, I being looking for this but every post I found online is OLD so I dont how things are going now in year 2020. I have my DMR radio and hotspot up and running and now I am like, "should I get a Dstar radio?" The main reason of my question is because I see a lot of cross bands conversations in forums (I have never tried) and I wonder why spend that money on a Dstar radio if I can cross band and get to the Dstar folks too (if that is how it works, I'm unsure). for what I being reading online about the DSTAR vs DMR fight everything boils down to "what repeaters you have close by" and in my case I have both, Dstar and DMR that I can hit and with the hotspot I can even go to fusion and others so I dont know if it worth the expense. I know some folks may say "too many radios are never too many radios" but I prefer to spend that money in other ham gear that I need.

I appreciate any advice

kb0ap

Premium Subscriber
Well, thanks all for the replies, you guys definetly convinced me that there is NO REASON to spend money on a Dstar having a DMR and a hotspot.

As I specifically said, "to have another radio" is NOT a reason. I can better spend that money on antennas, antenna tuner, amplifier, scanner, QRP radio and a ton more stuff we have in ham radio instead of another handy talkie to talk over internet when I can do it with crossover.

I did call myself a ham, just a smart ham that think where to spend the money wisely and not just throw it away.

Thanks for convince me, there is NO REASON.

Have a good one! By the way, no idea what is a "gerator" net

prcguy

You have convinced yourself there is no reason for YOU to get it, but that does not apply to anyone else. For me I can't wait until the next hand held arrives this week and I'm shopping for more more more!

Well, thanks all for the replies, you guys definetly convinced me that there is NO REASON to spend money on a Dstar having a DMR and a hotspot.

As I specifically said, "to have another radio" is NOT a reason. I can better spend that money on antennas, antenna tuner, amplifier, scanner, QRP radio and a ton more stuff we have in ham radio instead of another handy talkie to talk over internet when I can do it with crossover.

I did call myself a ham, just a smart ham that think where to spend the money wisely and not just throw it away.

Thanks for convince me, there is NO REASON.

Have a good one! By the way, no idea what is a "gerator" net

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
By the way, no idea what is a "gerator" net

Geritol Net. In relation to the senior citizen marketed Geritol multivitamin.

I'm a ham, but not very active. Analog has served me fine so far.
I'm not sure how I'd proceed with going digital, although I'm sure I will at some point. DMR seems to be well accepted and popular on the commercial side. There are a lot of DMR radios out there. Not sure I could convince my cheap*azz self to buy into an amateur only digital mode for VHF and UHF. D*Star has been around for a while, and while I know it's used by many, it just didn't seem to take off. I've never quite understood what Yaesu was thinking with Fusion. I get it, new digital mode, but with other more accepted digital modes, I'm not sure the meager market for digital amateur radio gear needed another digital mode that is really only supported by one major radio manufacturer.
I work with P25 and NXDN at work, so I've got no issues with going digital, But I don't see myself making the change anytime soon. Someday I'm sure I will, but I tend to be a bit more thrifty with my radio spending. That'll probably change when I retire.

kb0ap

Premium Subscriber
You have convinced yourself there is no reason for YOU to get it, but that does not apply to anyone else. For me I can't wait until the next hand held arrives this week and I'm shopping for more more more!

You are completely right, FOR ME after ask for reasons and dont get any I am completely convinced that there is no reason.

kb0ap

Premium Subscriber
Geritol Net. In relation to the senior citizen marketed Geritol multivitamin.

I'm a ham, but not very active. Analog has served me fine so far.
I'm not sure how I'd proceed with going digital, although I'm sure I will at some point. DMR seems to be well accepted and popular on the commercial side. There are a lot of DMR radios out there. Not sure I could convince my cheap*azz self to buy into an amateur only digital mode for VHF and UHF. D*Star has been around for a while, and while I know it's used by many, it just didn't seem to take off. I've never quite understood what Yaesu was thinking with Fusion. I get it, new digital mode, but with other more accepted digital modes, I'm not sure the meager market for digital amateur radio gear needed another digital mode that is really only supported by one major radio manufacturer.
I work with P25 and NXDN at work, so I've got no issues with going digital, But I don't see myself making the change anytime soon. Someday I'm sure I will, but I tend to be a bit more thrifty with my radio spending. That'll probably change when I retire.

Thanks for the explanation about Geritol.net, never heard about it haha.

Same thing here, I am not retired and dont see that coming so because I have other hobbies too when it goes to ham radio I have to pick wisely. I was about to get a Dstar too but then I said "wait a minute, I can just cross talk and use that money for a good scanner I want, or maybe a QRP radio I want too.

I definetly got in to DMR because how cheap the radios are, I mean the chinese ones because the Kenwood one buff, thats pretty much buy an HF.

Same thing applies to HF and other bands, make absolutely no sense for me why have multiple HF rigs in the shack, but that's for me, I respect other people ideas and dont care how they throw the money out.

I'm not in the hobby and cant afford collecting radios just because "yes" when usually later try to sell it I always loose a chunk
money.

Status
Not open for further replies.