i have no clue need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

walkerst3

Premium Subscriber
I had a old uniden scanner from back in the day and decided to buy a new one for the system in my area. I bought a uniden 996xt new. I have found out that the software is recent and everything is ok with the scanner. Looking around on the instructions only hurt my brain. I live in the northwest part of GA, near Chattanooga TN. I have tried programming the scanner but i just need some help with the trunking aspect of it. I know nothing about the different systems out there and i know absolutely nothing about trunking. Any tips, advice or better yet instructions would be greatly appreciated. I would like to program all the frequencies i can from the chattanooga area including some counties in georgia." catoosa, walker, dade, whitfield.

noaim

Premium Subscriber
get a software called free scan.. then sign up for a account on this website.. its cheap and worth it.. when you do that you can put that account info into free scan search for all the channels you want and program them directly into the scanner.. you may need to also purchase a serial to usb cable.. (make sure you purchase the official one there is knockoffs that don't work)

Programming by hand is a thing of the past there is just way to many channels and its more complicated then it has ever been..

if you do not like free scan there is also a software called arcxt which works great also but its not free..

Tom

noaim

Premium Subscriber
thanks noam for the advice

I see that you already have a membership thats great.. if you have any questions about the software and how to use it I may not be the best person.. (I use arcxt) but there is plenty of people on here that do know quite a bit about it

walkerst3

Premium Subscriber
what would be a good cable to get. someone let me try the scancat light plus but its from 2007. i didn't seem to like that to much. I only have a laptop so i haven't got to try any software yet.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Not to scare you off, but a lot of things have changed in radio systems over the past several years. Topping it off, there's a whole new paradigm in scanner programming.

The good news is that all of us started off knowing little or nothing. We tinkered, fussed, cussed and learned as time went along as I'm sure you will too.

The better news is that, as mentioned above, computers and downloading of data from the RR database have made scanner programming quite easy, once you get the hang of it. I'm sure you'll be quite impressed how well this works.

But the best news is this: You've found the right place for seeking information and assistance from those who were in your shoes. If you have questions as you go about programming continue to post them and assistance is there.

DJ88

Even though you will use software ro program your scanner, it's a good idea to familiarize yourself with some of the functions of the unit, and how they work so you're not totally dependent on the software.

There may be times when you will want to do things like temporarily lock out a channel, temporarily turn a system or group on or off (using quick keys), or use direct entry, to name a few. Direct entry and temporary lock out have to be done manually. Can't use the software to do them. Turning quick keys on and off can be done with software, but you won't want to set everything up to use it every time you want to temporarily turn them on and off, so you will need to learn how to do it manually.

You may want to enter and check a new frequency you've found for validity, search for a CTCSS (PL) or DCS (DPL) tone for a new frequency or if you suspect or know the tone has been changed for a current frequency but don't know the new one. This can all be done through software, but you may not always want to set it up, program it, and upload it for a single function like this. You can do it manually, and once you get the correct info, you can enter it into the software and do an upload to get everything up to date.

Here's a link for the Easier To Read Manual for 996XT
http://marksscanners.com/996xt/996xt.shtml

Last edited:

w2xq

Mentor
what would be a good cable to get. someone let me try the scancat light plus but its from 2007. i didn't seem to like that to much. I only have a laptop so i haven't got to try any software yet.

As Mike KA3JJZ says, friends don't let friends use Scancat. I suggest you use the ARC software by BuTel or the Starrsoft software. There are RR forum threads for both products. HTH..

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The Starrsoft software doesn't support the Uniden scanners. One of the other posters said it, and I'll say it here - get FreeScan. It's freeware, so it costs you nada. Once you're comfortable, you can then migrate to ARC-XT or ProScan, which are the other 2 biggies for the 996XT. Both authors are members of this site, and Bob (the ProScan author) has a dedicated thread in our scanner programming support forum.

The link (links are always in blue) for FreeScan, along with many other links to resources you will find helpful can be had from here

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

As an aside, don't even think of using the Uniden user's guide. Get the Easier to Read manual - the links for that are at the bottom of the above article

HTH...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.