I have someone that is asking me to help with finding him a scanner or radio to listen to Peoria IL Police Fire and EMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

kepster9312

I have someone that goes to my church who is asking me to help with finding him a scanner or radio to listen to Peoria IL Police Fire and EMS for under a $100 as he is on a fixed income and he doesn't have any ham radio licenses. He is wanting something that is a handheld. Do you have any ideas? I have told him about the one that I will be selling in a couple of months or so but he said it was to two high for him. I didn't get a chance to offer him a payment plan at the time as he is wanting to see what the other options are.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
It appears as Peoria operates off this trunked system here. Since the system is Project 25 Phase II it is highly unlikely they're going to find a scanner for under $100 that will be able to track it. With that said, list of P25 Phase II scanners is here:

Last edited:

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
In addition, looks like many of the sites are listed as simulcast. Without getting into too much detail about simulcast distortion (as is discussed in great detail on this forum), the only radios that would most optimally track these sites would be the Uniden SDS100 & 200. Yes they are the most expensive on the list (expect to shell out $600-700) but they get the job done

greggk

Premium Subscriber
If he just wanted to listen he could use one of the internet sites that broadcast. (I don't remember the exact name) He would need a computer of course. Otherwise, unfortunately, he's looking at a rather expensive selection. And if there is heavy simulcasting there, a minimum $700.00 price tag. Greg.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
I have someone that goes to my church who is asking me to help with finding him a scanner or radio to listen to Peoria IL Police Fire and EMS for under a $100 as he is on a fixed income and he doesn't have any ham radio licenses. He is wanting something that is a handheld. Do you have any ideas? I have told him about the one that I will be selling in a couple of months or so but he said it was to two high for him. I didn't get a chance to offer him a payment plan at the time as he is wanting to see what the other options are.
That person can still hear Peoria Co IL with an older Phase 1 P25 Scanner like a Pro96/2096 if they can find one or something similar. The New County SITE *249* is still (D) not (T) exclusively on talk-groups. Starcom21 is Phase II CAPABLE ... not exclusively phase II unless noted that way. Even then you can still hear phase 1 talkgroups. Aside from outright charity ... the person might be out of luck and have to rely on broadcastify links in that area off a cheapo/donated netbook. I used the OLD Pro96 to listen to Peoria Co 3 of the last 4 years on trips. Get's Starcom21 perfectly. Other newer scanners do not. I sat in the Chillicothe IL McDonalds on 3 of the trips and got NOTHING on the other (NEW) scanner that shall be unnamed. That's what drove me to buy a G5 pager. Good luck to your friend. Everything co$ts a lot in ILL-annoyed today and it's not going to get cheaper.

Jordo2114

Are the old Analog VHF and UHF simulcast feeds down(used to be listed in the database)??? Used to be able to listen to Peoria PD and Peoria County with those.......I think AMT runs a DMR system as well but I'm not %100 certain on any this information anymore.

kraziebill

Are the old Analog VHF and UHF simulcast feeds down(used to be listed in the database)??? Used to be able to listen to Peoria PD and Peoria County with those.......I think AMT runs a DMR system as well but I'm not %100 certain on any this information anymore.

The old analog freqs for Peoria PD Prep 1 and Sheriff F1 are still active.
AMT is on the state StarCom system and encrypted so you won't hear them. You can, however, still hear the C-MED dispatch to AMT on analog 155.220 MHz.

If you want to hear the good stuff in Peoria county, you need to save your pennies and get a Unication G5 or Uniden SDS100/SDS200

Status
Not open for further replies.