I have to buy a new scanner for a Birthday President, need suggestions

Akuriko

Friday Harbor,Washington , in the San Juan Islands
Hello All, let me Be Very Clear, My Neighbor who lives in the same complex as Me, is a interested in a police scanner due to the fact so much happens at our building the Sheriff and EMS are always here, I usually carry a scanner with me on my walks, to the lake to fly fish and when I ride in peoples cars, she this morning asked me if I heard anything on the "Scanner" on a certain neighbor, her birthday was yesterday so after I grilled and cooked allot of steak I was put in charge of getting a scanner for her via a pool we did for her present, now let me be very clear she's in her late 40s to 50s, she needs simple and something that has easy programming or at least easy simple 1 touch to access police or a service search feature.

now let me be clear as I want to utilize the 2nd question for myself, I am interested in getting a new scanner for myself as well, I can't have enough Scanners, so I was thinking of a uniden 436 or 325P2 for myself, I think the 436 would pair nicely with my 536. I wanted to get your opinions on both questions.

Akuriko

yes it is but I am asking for suggestions I already have all the codes for san juan county and more, I am looking for suggestions for the late 40s or early 50s woman whos interested in the sheriff part of the scanner, lol I am currently listening to my 536 and getting a hoot out of it.

Dog

yes it is but I am asking for suggestions I already have all the codes for san juan county and more, I am looking for suggestions for the late 40s or early 50s woman whos interested in the sheriff part of the scanner, lol I am currently listening to my 536 and getting a hoot out of it.
People need to know the system types and what is in your area to make recommendations. No need to recommended a $600 scanner when a $400 or less one will work for you.

This is the reason everyone jumped in asking your location.

morrisr3nd

Just kind of taking it all in
Premium Subscriber
What are you currently using for a portable? If you can hear what you are wanting to listen to an a 536 then a 325P2 or 436HP will surly be able to pick it up too. If you aren't listening to P25 phase 2 then even a 396XT or a 996xt will also work. Those will work for anything except Phase 2.

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
They are asking these questions to ensure they are recommending the best option for your specific area and also what, specifically, that your neighbor wants to listen to. You may have the 'codes' but nobody here knows what they are without knowing the exact system or frequencies you want to hear. By the looks of it you can get away with a pretty basic scanner BUT that depends on what she wants to hear.

Akuriko

my current portable is a radio shack pro 97 trunking scanner, triple trunking scanner, as for it I use it for everything while I go for a walk, for home i use a 536 and a 15x for home use, I wanted a digital trunking scanner phase 2 for when and if they upgrade as well as other reason, as for the area, my current 536 picks up 8 counties and part of Canada, lol and my 15x picks up 4 counties, lol so I am loving it all.

Akuriko

They are asking these questions to ensure they are recommending the best option for your specific area and also what, specifically, that your neighbor wants to listen to. You may have the 'codes' but nobody here knows what they are without knowing the exact system or frequencies you want to hear. By the looks of it you can get away with a pretty basic scanner BUT that depends on what she wants to hear.

because the Sheriff is always here at the apartment complex shes mostly interested in the Sheriff channel 453.250 lol

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
because the Sheriff is always here at the apartment complex shes mostly interested in the Sheriff channel 453.250 lol
Then almost any scanner will work. A Uniden Bearcat BC125AT would be more than enough. They are available at scannermaster.com

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
As suggested, for the specific channel mentioned (Sheriff's department on a conventionall channel), the 125AT would handle that, but if they upgrade, whether to a trunked system, or simply to a P25 conventional channel, the 125 would no longer function.

Your state's Dept. of Transportation does have a P25 digital trunked system, with a site in your county. While, currently, that may not be of interest, there is at least some possibility that usage on that system could increase to encompass more agencies. A 325P2, or 996P2, would give you at least some protection from a later system upgrade or expansion. Of course, the advantage of, instead, a 436HP is that your current programming can be loaded onto it. Of course, if you are using ProScan, then you can import your current file for the 536HP, and let ProScan convert it for the 325P2 or 996P2.

Akuriko

As suggested, for the specific channel mentioned (Sheriff's department on a conventionall channel), the 125AT would handle that, but if they upgrade, whether to a trunked system, or simply to a P25 conventional channel, the 125 would no longer function.

Your state's Dept. of Transportation does have a P25 digital trunked system, with a site in your county. While, currently, that may not be of interest, there is at least some possibility that usage on that system could increase to encompass more agencies. A 325P2, or 996P2, would give you at least some protection from a later system upgrade or expansion. Of course, the advantage of, instead, a 436HP is that your current programming can be loaded onto it. Of course, if you are using ProScan, then you can import your current file for the 536HP, and let ProScan convert it for the 325P2 or 996P2.

is proscan free?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
is proscan free?
No, it isn't.

There is a 30 day free trial, so that you can 'test drive' before you have to purchase it. The software cost is $50, but that includes free updates as newer versions are released, and it supports a large number of Uniden Uniden scanners from current models back to the 780XLT from literally a couple of decades ago.

See the website for more specifics: ProScan

morrisr3nd

Premium Subscriber
It is not free, Here is the webpage.

ProScan

You will need the top left version.

ProScan​

All-In-One Computer Aided Scanning Program
Free Updates

Also it is for life and no limit on scanner so any scanners that are listed there can be used with the software.

ProScan Purchase Information

Well worth the money in my opinion.

Dog

Well worth the money in my opinion.
Same here, it is a very "powerful" piece of software and I have just touched the tip of the iceberg. I use it to control 3 scanner from the other side of the room with a tablet when needed. I love the large displays on my computer monitor also. I use it with a SDS100 SDS200 and soon a BC 780 XLT.
Well worth the money in my case.

morrisr3nd

Premium Subscriber
I can't control from across the room but I do use it running 7 instances for 7 different scanners. All except my Radio Shack Pro-197. If I could find a way to do that too, I would.

Reactions: Dog