• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

I have your money! $ Program my radio ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emcomm

Seriously, I can't find anyone to program a MT2000 in New York City.*

Do you know of anyone?

best regards

*Except Astro and they are charginf way too much, $400 to program the radio.

NCFire11

You may want to do some research before getting "joe blow" to program your radio. You may want to just find a cheaper company to do it.

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
So very true on that note NCFire11. That is why I sent him a message. This board is about helping people out. I am also on batlabs as well. Everyone should do there home work before sending "Joe Blow" or I prefer Joe the Plumber myself, there stuff. We do the same with companies we deal with also. Never the less he said he could not find anyone local to help him and I just offered to help him out. Its the friendly thing to do.

emcomm

Ok, I found a place to program radios in New York City: Metrocom

From their website: "METROCOM has been providing two way radio and wireless communications in the New York area since 1979. We are proud to be the largest Motorola two way radio dealer in New York."

I spoke to Phil there for 15 minutes, this guy is on the ball, very reasonable pricing and I can see I will get great customer service. He the right answer for all my technical questions, he seems to know his stuff.

Motorola Two Way Radio Dealer New York Manhattan Bedford Hills Lagrangeville METROCOM

sdancy

Emcomm - What was your experience in dealing with METROCOM? What is the turn around in getting it completed? I purchased a MT2000 over the weekend via EBAY and am looking to get it programmed ASAP. Of the 160 available channels, could possibly be ~ 100. I have been away from the hobby for some time and am excited to get involved w/ the NYC ham community.

KJ6HCB

Just as an FYI - I started programming Motorola stuff about 12 years ago, and when I quit my last job at a radio place, I foolishly got rid of my RIB and all of my cables.

Still have my software though, and with getting back into the HAM community more Im realizing how much I miss my /\/\ gear - I will be purchasing a new genuine rib and cables again and begin programming radios.

I would love to extend the service to other hams and scanner enthusiasts on this board if needed. Ill make a new post when I get all set up most likely, but if anyone needs any help feel free to PM.

sdancy

A quick update. Today, I called Metrocom whom informed me I had to wait and speak with the individual who programs the radios next Monday. When I mentioned I was looking to have more than 16 channels programmed, the reaction seemed a bit alarming. Why is this? It seems for the MT2000, 16 is the magical #. Does have something to do w/ the software and ease of use w/ the first 16? And for those of you out there that are curious, I also called Barry Electronics today as well regarding programming to be informed they're unable to accommodate on this radio. To their credit, not sure of the name, they were extremely nice to speak with; I will be making a visit soon to meet the guys at the shop. KJ6HCB, any word when you will be up and running? Can anyone tell I'm eager to get this fully programmed? Ha.

CommJunkie

I can program them too, but judging by your reaction to other people on an "anonymous internet forum", I'm probably just padding my post count.

RKG

To the OP:

You probably won't like this response, but it may be helpful to give you some perspective:

1) Most competent radio techs have to get $75-100 per hour to make ends meet.

2) Depending on firmware, your MT2000 is capable of holding 100 or 255 conventional "personalities."

3) Each "personality" requires specification of umpteen more parameters than simply freq and tone. This is particularly true if you tend to get fancy with scan lists or signalling. A big problem for programmers is users who don't specify up front all of the parameters needed to do the job, which means doing the job in fits and starts, with multiple phone calls to clarify things.

4) The MT2000 requires the comparatively kludgy DOS-based MTSX RSS. Not only is programming more arduous than with the later CPS packages -- a lot of jumping back and forth between screens and you have to make paper lists of channels, personalities, scan lists, MDC system and other things -- but it is also more error prone, which means more time spent proofreading your work.

5) I've been doing this for more than 20 years. Time permitting, I often undertake to do a quick one zone, 16-channel job for deserving folks, provided it doesn't involve anything fancy. Beyond that, I work on an hourly rate.

6) Understand that if you want any Part 90 channels programmed for transmit capable, most ethical programmers will require either a license or a letter.

sdancy

RKG: Thank you for the very thorough response. Appreciate all the insight. I enjoy the radio, so once I get my ham freq in and rx only on others, I will be all set.

Status
Not open for further replies.