I heard this on the news

Status
Not open for further replies.

al95

I heard this on the news last night. What do you think of this? I know for a fact that KRGV news station uses scanner to monitor traffic also. I have seen their scanner on their news cast.

SAN JUAN - Criminals across the Valley are keeping their ears to the air waves. They're checking police scanners listening for information.

A gang unit officer in San Juan keeps one hand on the steering wheel and one hand on his cell phone. This is how cops in the Valley are talking to each other. Police radios aren't safe anymore.

Sgt. Rudy Luna in San Juan says radio traffic compromises big operations like drug raids, because too many bad guys are listening.

Authorities Say Criminals Keeping Ears Close to Scanners - KRGV CHANNEL 5 NEWS - The Rio Grande Valley's News Channel - Breaking News, Breaking Stories - RGV News

Last edited by a moderator:

emd001

That is the reason why I understand police using encryption for their traffic and, to be honest, I personally only scan fire frequencies and some EMS frequencies. So I may be biased toward police using encryption.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Routine dispatch stuff should be in the clear, but I think running people through LEIN and/or NCIC should be encrypted, along with other sensitive info.

I used to be annoyed, when I lived on Oahu, that everything needed for identity theft was provided by the Honolulu Police Department. (Hawaii used Social Security Numbers as driver's license numbers, so running a person by license gave away the person's name, address, birthdate, and SSN, all on VHF.)

al95

I must agree with everyone that responded. I think Krokus have apoint in Encrypting some radio traffic when doing special ops.

T

trunkerman63

This all reminds me of why I think Abilene and other towns using full time ProVoice is crazy. If a citizen can be aware of a stake out or major traffic accident or congestion, they hear it, they can avoid the area. Just keeping sensitive stuff on Provoice would make a lot of sense while allowing non sensitive traffic to be heard. An 800 signal can penetrate from a brick basement as well as in ProVoice mode, I know because I've heard our fire dept. come in loud and clear on analog. Keeping ALL traffic top secret from the public makes me tend to not fully trust whoever is doing it. Just my thinking.

KB0VWG

Border Violence

The news station reporting this have some scanners mounted in their trucks. I believe it was a BCD996t on the dash board of the truck.

I notced on mondays newscast one of there vehicles had a Gre on the dashboard or it could be a Rad Shack.
73's
Michael
kb0vwg
wqoi992

al95

I notced on mondays newscast one of there vehicles had a Gre on the dashboard or it could be a Rad Shack.
73's
Michael
kb0vwg
wqoi992

They where using the PRO-2096, BCD996T, and the RH96 Remote head. As per the video. Do you have frequencies for your area? Can you PM them to me. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.