I just don't get it

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammerman15

Hi, I recently purchased a BCD996XT Uniden Bearcat Scanner and am totally brand new to any of this. I live in Stillwater MN and cannot get anything to come on this scanner but static. I called Uniden and had them send me a step by step guide to install a frequency but still I get nothing. I do pick up military air but it is all static. I used this site to listen to police/fire etc on my computer and thought it would be neat to own my own scanner. How can I get this thing to work? Anyone live in Stillwater or close and want to come program it for me? I will pay you to do it.

Does anyone know a channel I can program that should work from my location? I'm feeling like an utter failure. I thought I would be able to just plug it and it would go. I had no clue trying to listen to people talk would be so challenging.

Thank you for your time and responses.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Good advice.
Try:

One of those will likely have NOAA weather radio on it. Depending on exactly where you are in relation to the transmitter will determine the signal strength and clarity.

If you are having issues you may need to look at a better antenna. Getting an antenna outside and up high can make a big difference in what you can hear.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Basically you have a "double learning curve". One is to learn how to program/operate a new scanner. The other is contending with a radio system that is as complex as I have seen.

The system in your area is the Minnesota ARMER system. It is a very robust system consisting of several sub-systems working together to provide state wide radio coverage. See: Allied Radio Matrix for Emergency Response (ARMER) Trunking System, Various, Minnesota - Scanner Frequencies

You can do a Google search for the Minnesota ARMER system and find a lot of good reads. I believe there are also some YouTube videos on this system.

You'll want to program as a minimum, the Washington Dakota East Simulcast system as a site for the system. For talkgroups, you'll want Washington and Dakota and probably all of the Interoperability talkgroups (lots of interesting stuff there on occasion).

I'd recommend downloading FreeScan. With your premimum membership, you can download the correct data from the RR database.

This is a complicated system. Prepare yourself for mistakes in the beginning (we all made them). You may also wish to visit the Minnesota page for additional information.

With Washinton Dakota being a simulcast system, it uses several sites all operating on the same frequencies. This may lead to another frustration called Simulcast Distortion. Whether this happens to you, is highly dependent on where you are with respect to the transmitter locations. If this happens, there are some things to try to make it better.

The good news is that once everything falls into place, you'll have a lot of good scanning opportunities and will enjoy what you receive. The Twin Cities area is a very "target rich" environment for the scanner listener.

teufler

hERE IS a Freescan file. If you have not downloaded the program, it is a very popular program that many 396xt, 996xt users use. FreeSCAN - Sixspot Software this link goesw to the Freescan location. Aftyer downloaded and installed, get you scanners p[rogram cable, plug into your computer and have the cable recognized by the computer. Then run Freescan, and get the program to recognize the cable. This is all one time stuff, as once its done, you should not have to do it again. Download the file, unzip the file, RR requires that files are compressed for posting. Then install the file. I assume you are using the stock antenna so your receive range will be less than an outside antenna. Also the simulcast issues should be less too, as you will not receive as many sites as you would on an outside antenna.

Attachments

• WASHDAKOTA MN.zip
    11.7 KB · Views: 49
Status
Not open for further replies.