I JUST FOUND OUT I BOUGHT A $700 PAPER WEIGHT

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro96clown

Quick history: I also own a PRO96. Back in November of 2019, the 96 stopped receiving traffic in my County of San Diego. After further research, it turned out these county systems went to P25 so the 96 was now worthless. Fast forward to last week. I purchased an SDS 100. Beautiful machine, love the display. For a few days, I studied the instruction manual, looked at youtube videos, and posted on the Uniden forum

Finally, got an idea on how to program manually. Created a a faves list and put in Control Channels and TGIDs for my city, El Cajon. It worked beautifully for the county. But no El Cajon. Went back in and removed the DECs. Still no EC. So I created a 2nd list with a small change: added TDMA.. Still no EC

I went back to YouTube, dude with a scanner and watched it closely. And I got one clue: He said, be wary of Radio Ref, they sometimes have bad listings, And darn it, he was right! The city of El Cajon went full encryption a looooong time ago and Rad Ref still hasnt updated their listing reflecting that. If I known that i wouldn't have bought this puppy. Oh well, I live I learn

Maybe a Rad Ref admin can update the list

Regards

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
In the same system Chula Vista shows encrypted and I'm surprised El Cajon shows no encryption. Best to use the database in Sentinel to create the Favorites List. As I read the OP's post my impression is Favorites List was not 'program' created. Tricky to get all the data setup manually. Yes, the RR database can be behind/out of date. Data comes from users in the field, db only as good as the input. Maybe someone in your area can confirm encryption.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I went back to YouTube, dude with a scanner and watched it closely. And I got one clue: He said, be wary of Radio Ref, they sometimes have bad listings, And darn it, he was right! The city of El Cajon went full encryption a looooong time ago and Rad Ref still hasnt updated their listing reflecting that. If I known that i wouldn't have bought this puppy. Oh well, I live I learn.

RadioReference depends on user submissions to keep things like that up-to-date; if it wasn't updated in the database, no one ever submitted it.

wowologist

Certifiable
And this has what to do with the topic???
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I JUST FOUND OUT I BOUGHT A $700 PAPER WEIGHT

Man, these things have more problems then a Pinto..could you imagine if a reputable company started producing such a poor product ~ they'd go out of business just from the shame alone.....

"

wowologist said:

Man, these things have more problems then a Pinto..could you imagine a reputable company producing such a poor product ~ they'd go out of business just from the shame.....
Right, because a talkgroup being encrypted has anything whatsoever to do with the performance of the scanner. Go find somewhere else to troll.

Ya, maybe the almost 1000 hits/messages/threads on the ....eh hem..."quality" of this product does...not to mention the 124,674,876 hits on Google of the "quality complaints" on this product.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Man, these things have more problems then a Pinto..could you imagine a reputable company producing such a poor product ~ they'd go out of business just from the shame.....
Right, because a talkgroup being encrypted has anything whatsoever to do with the performance of the scanner. Go find somewhere else to troll.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
So again I ask, you bought it last week, who did you buy from. You should be able to just pack it up carefully and return it. There could be a restocking fee as there was nothing wrong with the radio. Perfectly understandable however you didn't know your hometown was encrypted and you're not satisfied with your purchase since it doesn't work in your area.

techynyc

No matter what you buy or where you move too the future of public safety communications is rather clear.
1: Analog Radio systems we all love and remember are being replaced by Digital Systems with digital modes (DMR, P25 etc)
2: Law Enforcement agencies will most certainly opt encrypt their communications.
Your SDS 100/200 is working as designed and is a great radio for the current state of radio communications monitoring. What other options would you have selected? ...Icom or an SDR are two good alternatives for sure - big learning curve though.
Yeah the RR database is not always up to date, it actually requires its members to contribute their findings. the Alternative...'member when' we used to write down all the FQs on paper and give photocopies to our buddies or read the Monitoring Times section with the frequencies for certain places they covered? Good times eh?

I'll take the online RR database as-is, its a breeze to download and program multiple Uniden scanners in minutes via ProScan

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
This is kind of funny but for the third time, you just bought it last week why don't you just return it for a refund? I was thinking I wasn't transmitting here as nobody can hear me but thank you robertmac for your reaction, at least I know I'm getting a signal out. :LOL: :LOL:

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I hate to break it to you, but every law agency in San Diego County is slated to go full encryption on all talkgroups as soon as technically possible, except for SDPD and SD Sheriff's, which for some reason share an odd understanding of the law in which they only have to encrypt certain talkgroups...go figure...and my TV station just bought $36,000 in phase 2 scanners and Motorola APX radios, if you want to talk about paperweights...

ECPD went encrypted jan 1st BTW.

Paul

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
This is kind of funny but for the third time, you just bought it last week why don't you just return it for a refund? I was thinking I wasn't transmitting here as nobody can hear me but thank you robertmac for your reaction, at least I know I'm getting a signal out. :LOL: :LOL:
We heard you the first time...and the second time...and now a third time. Except of course the OP hasn't actually been back online since he made his original post, so I'm not sure why you feel the need to be so repetitive. Strange.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
No matter what you buy or where you move too the future of public safety communications is rather clear.
1: Analog Radio systems we all love and remember are being replaced by Digital Systems with digital modes (DMR, P25 etc)
2: Law Enforcement agencies will most certainly opt encrypt their communications.
Your SDS 100/200 is working as designed and is a great radio for the current state of radio communications monitoring. What other options would you have selected? ...Icom or an SDR are two good alternatives for sure - big learning curve though.
Yeah the RR database is not always up to date, it actually requires its members to contribute their findings. the Alternative...'member when' we used to write down all the FQs on paper and give photocopies to our buddies or read the Monitoring Times section with the frequencies for certain places they covered? Good times eh?

I'll take the online RR database as-is, its a breeze to download and program multiple Uniden scanners in minutes via ProScan

Or Radio Shack's Police Call guides. Good times indeed! :D

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
We heard you the first time...and the second time...and now a third time. Except of course the OP hasn't actually been back online since he made his original post, so I'm not sure why you feel the need to be so repetitive. Strange.
Thanks for clearing that up I was wondering why he didn't answer:confused:, you know what's really strange, why nobody said it before I did. Like at the beginning of the thread. Hope you noticed that the third time I did it I used LOL emojis and made a joke. I was kidding on that one, thanks for the reactions guys, at least somebody got it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.