• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

I just got a box of old Motorola radios and...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Batt91

I have no idea of the worth of any of this stuff. Here's the inventory:

2 Radius P50 Portables (2 ch each, w/ chargers)
1 HT600 (6 ch)
1 MT50 (4 ch... Looks Ancient)
2 Minitor I (w/ chargers)

These are old VHF Fire Dept. radios. They came from a box labeled "broken", but here is what I know:

Both P50 chargers appear to work fine.

P 50 #1 charges and appears to work. I can recieve ID info from a local repeater on it, but I can not confirm if it transmits.

P50 #2 seems to have a shot battery... will not turn on.

HT600 and MT50 are dead, unknown if operable at all, and I have no way to charge them.

I haven't examined the Minotor I's yet, maybe tomorrow...

I am interested in getting SkyWarn Certifed and possibly using one of the these radios for that purpose (With the proper credentials, of course). What would a local radio repairman charge to check these units over, and are these even the proper radios for doing what I have planned. Are these radios just too old and obsolete? Or... is this box of equipment more valuble to a collector? Some guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

RodStrong

1 HT600 (6 ch)

These are old VHF Fire Dept. radios. They came from a box labeled "broken", but here is what I know:
P 50 #1 charges and appears to work. I can recieve ID info from a local repeater on it, but I can not confirm if it transmits.
HT600 and MT50 are dead, unknown if operable at all, and I have no way to charge them.

I am interested in getting SkyWarn Certifed and possibly using one of the these radios for that purpose (With the proper credentials, of course). What would a local radio repairman charge to check these units over, and are these even the proper radios for doing what I have planned. Are these radios just too old and obsolete? Or... is this box of equipment more valuble to a collector? Some guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Well, one man's trash is another's treasure of course. I don't think any of those radios are worth much, but that's just my opinion. One thing you could do is take a look at auctions on Ebay for those specific items, and it might help you get an idea of their general market worth.

Since the box was labeled "broken", there's probably a good chance they are broken. How broken is the question. I don't think any of those radios are worth one hour of shop labor to work on them. But, that is an opinion, and there's likely others here who will tell you I am wrong. I doubt you could get a hundred dollars for the whole lot even if they were working though. Even if they all worked, you would likely invest a fair amount of money in new batteries and chargers to get them running, and instead of doing that, you might want to invest that money in a new radio.

Regarding using them for Skywarn, for starters, you will have to see what system your local group uses, and then determine if any of these radios (assuming they work) are compatible. Not that this would be the case where you are, but most of the Skywarn guys where I'm at use mobiles most (but not all) of the time. Most have portables, but the mobiles are most utilized when they are running around chasing weather. If this is the case in your area, you may be more interested in a mobile for Skywarn first. Good luck. Hope my answers helped a bit.

Last edited:

firefive76

I have no idea of the worth of any of this stuff. Here's the inventory:

1 HT600 (6 ch)

Also, I don't think any of those radios can go narrowband. If you put a lot of money in them to get them going, they probably won't be worth anything in a few years when the narrowband mandate come around (guessing that Skywarn Freq's are in the range to go narrowband.)

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
If you can get over $50.00 for them, you will be doing good. The ones that don't work (they may just have dead batteries), I would put on eBay advertised as Tech Special. Selling them separate will be your best bet.

SCPD

QRT
Ht600

If you can get over $50.00 for them, you will be doing good. The ones that don't work (they may just have dead batteries), I would put on eBay advertised as Tech Special. Selling them separate will be your best bet.

I don't know about the others, but I'll wager the only thing wrong with the HT600 is a dead battery. Those were bricks that could be beat to death and still work. But, not worth much since it won't scan.

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
I don't know about the others, but I'll wager the only thing wrong with the HT600 is a dead battery. Those were bricks that could be beat to death and still work. But, not worth much since it won't scan.

I was just at the radioshop yesterday and I saw an HT600 on the rack and dang they are a brick!

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I once left a MT1000 (same chassis as the HT600) on the roof of a van and drove away. A guy found it and I recovered it and used it for another 3 or 4 years. The same radio accidentally got slammed in the liftgate of the same van (by another person - I'm not that incompetent ;) ). They are virtually impossible to break.

Having said that, they (along with everything else in the stuff you mentioned) are classified as No Longer Available by Motorola, meaning parts and such aren't available anymore. If the radio itself is intact, though, you can get batteries for those chassis - even brand new. I order batteries regularly for my FD thru Garden State Battery, and they even have HT600 batteries in stock according to their website. :)

Good luck with that stuff!

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
That bunch there sounds like a $20 box of parts.
All of that equipment is around or over 15 years old, not narrowband at all. You stated that some don't seem to be operating. Unless you really have some interest in the "vintage" radios you might as well get something a lot newer. In my personal opinion, i'd put them on ebay for $20 or chuck em.
Buying one new battery for one radio probably costs more than the value of all the radios together. A repair charge is probably the same way plus more. Actually, I don't know if they still have repairmen around for some of those radios. They'll have to visit the local cemetery to ask them. :lol:

Last edited:

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I was just given 5 SP-50's and a bank charger. What am I, a fall guy? My inner self says these are cool and I should squirrel them away, my practical self says these are junk and will be useless in a couple of years. What the hell. Can I chuck them in your garbo can?

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
How can anyone not say a radio that transmits/receives needs to be trashed? My Sabers are old and heavy, but they take a licking and keep on ticking!

obijohn

I don't know if they still have repairmen around for some of those radios. They'll have to visit the local cemetery to ask them. :lol:

I still maintain/repair radios older than those! I must be a real geriatric radio technician.

I still have MT-500's and HT90/HT-440's in use. I even maintain several HT-220's.

It's a good thing that I still have parts for these, because you can't buy them any longer.

Have fun with your modern, computer programmable radios.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
now theres a difference between old radios and classics!
I wish I had a nice HT200:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::D:D

Last edited:

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Heck, I'll keep the SP-50's and use them until some agency sends me a pink slip.

I still have MT-500's and HT90/HT-440's in use. I even maintain several HT-220's.

Don't need no stinkin' computer to maintain those. Right on!

W2NJS

Also, I don't think any of those radios can go narrowband. If you put a lot of money in them to get them going, they probably won't be worth anything in a few years when the narrowband mandate come around (guessing that Skywarn Freq's are in the range to go narrowband.)
All the Skywarn frequencies, as far as I know, are amateur, and there is no requirement or plan to require any ham channels to go narrowband.

Tom, W2NJS
Washington DC

rescuecomm

The HT600 can be programmed (hacked) to the 2 meter band by someone who knows how. (Assuming that it works.) The P50, on the other hand, is a crystaled radio and it is not worth the money to change it over. Your best bet is to get your technician class ham license and a Icom, Kenwood, or Yaesu mobile 2 meter 50 watt mobile radio. That is the best way into Skywarn and the best use of scarce resources.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.