I just heard a telephone conversation over my scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonziBuddy

My mind is blown right now and I'm so pissed that my video camera battery was dead. I just heard an entire TELEPHONE conversation over 462.6625. I can't even believe the words that are coming out of my mouth, but I'm saying it's totally true.

It was a 2 way conversation. They kept stepping on each-other but it was still legible. I couldn't find a PL tone. The signal was perfect and the tone of her voice was making the S meter jump along with it. Again I CANT BELIEVE MY VIDEO CAMER WAS DEAD.

Please somebody tell me I'm not the first to experience this?

N

N_Jay

A leaky 900 MHz cordless phone.
A phone patch on GMRS.
An image from a ham station.
or,
. . . .

No video camera needed.

ManFish

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
462.6625 mhz is family radio service channel 5. Dont divulge the content of the conversation as it is a violation of fcc rules & regulations. If you ever intercept a real cellular phone conversation, please disconnect as it also is a very serious fcc violation & infringes on the callers privacy.

Manny

kc7mwp

Only if the cordless phone was in the same room

A phone patch on GMRS.

Possible, but not legal. What that got to do with it?

Highly doubtful

Last edited:
N

N_Jay

Only if the cordless phone was in the same room

A phone patch on GMRS.

Possible, but not legal. What that got to do with it?

Highly doubtful

Then your best guess?

Last edited:

brandon

Database Admin
Some hotels, malls, etc. have phone patch systems that customers can use to contact security or housekeeping. Another source may be one of those high powered cordless phones that use oddball frequencies.

N

N_Jay

Some hotels, malls, etc. have phone patch systems that customers can use to contact security or housekeeping. Another source may be one of those high powered cordless phones that use oddball frequencies.

I sort of lumped the high power "export" cordless phones under the phone patch on GMRS in my mind, but it is definitely one of the possibilities.

trixwagen

The last time I heard telephone conversations on my scanner far from where cell/cordless phone frequencies were supposed to be, it was a taxi company that broadcast all its telephone conversations with customers.

bm_north60

It's been alot of years, but I remember hearing phone conversations from aircraft between 400 and 500 MHz.

Rover

Some of the real cheap cordless phones I have seen transmit in the GRMS/FRS frequency range. I have even had one transmitting on a UHF med channel. Terrible Junk. 73...Rover

Astrak

My mind is blown right now and I'm so pissed that my video camera battery was dead. I just heard an entire TELEPHONE conversation over 462.6625. I can't even believe the words that are coming out of my mouth, but I'm saying it's totally true.

It was a 2 way conversation. They kept stepping on each-other but it was still legible. I couldn't find a PL tone. The signal was perfect and the tone of her voice was making the S meter jump along with it. Again I CANT BELIEVE MY VIDEO CAMER WAS DEAD.

Please somebody tell me I'm not the first to experience this?

What makes you think it was a TELEPHONE conversation and not someone talking on an FRS radio?

BonziBuddy

What makes you think it was a TELEPHONE conversation and not someone talking on an FRS radio?
They were constantly stepping on each other. It wasn't like "walkie talkie" talking where you stop and let the other person talk, I was hearing the lady speaking and the other lady was speaking right over her, so a lot of the time it was hard to follow. There was no PL code I could detect and the broadcast lasted the entire conversation. Then when they ended the call, I could hear a phone click off.

Astrak

They were constantly stepping on each other. It wasn't like "walkie talkie" talking where you stop and let the other person talk, I was hearing the lady speaking and the other lady was speaking right over her, so a lot of the time it was hard to follow. There was no PL code I could detect and the broadcast lasted the entire conversation. Then when they ended the call, I could hear a phone click off.
Yeah......................

N

N_Jay

I still don't get why it is so interesting you wanted to video it?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

I'm sure you were simply hearing the image byproduct of a cheap cordless phone on 900mhz. I have heard the same thing from a nearby neighbor on a lower frs channel much like what you described. Whoever you heard was probably very close!
n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.