I Just LOVE Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLEASE2SNEEZE

Any way I can get a;'security' clearance so I could HEAR what the inteesting half is saying? < very PRO ENCRYPTION.. Yes Yes?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Any way I can get a;'security' clearance so I could HEAR what the inteesting half is saying? < very PRO ENCRYPTION.. Yes Yes?

Join the agency you wish to monitor, and ask them to issue you a department radio.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Very unlikely.
The purpose of encryption is to control who can hear the traffic. Giving access away to random people, scanner listeners, hobbyists, amateurs, etc. breaks that. The cost of doing suitable level background checks is pretty high. Departments can lose their accreditations for ignoring obvious security leaks like that. I do radio programming for our PD, and the background check I had to go through cost the agency a lot of money and took a lot of time. 24 page questionnaire, finger printing, background checks, credit checks, a sergeant visiting friends, family, co-workers and all my neighbors. Each one of them had to fill out a questionnaire about me and what their opinion was. It all adds up to a lot of cost.

Encryption keys have to be loaded into the radios to work. Consumer scanners won't support that, amateur radios will not support that. Only commercial gear will. That would mean the agency would need to -give- you a multi-thousand dollar radio, you'd need to buy a suitable radio, or you'd have to join the agency.

Periodic changing of encryption keys would require your radio to be touched by a tech, or to be OTAR'd, and that takes labor. Not free for the agency.

Short answer: No, not going to happen.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
That would mean the agency would need to -give- you a multi-thousand dollar radio, you'd need to buy a suitable radio, or you'd have to join the agency.
and most government agencies won't allow privately owned radios on their systems. That is the policy of our agency. Device must be owned by the agency. No personal, third party or otherwise non-entity radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.