I just spent about $20 for this car stereo that has AM, FM, and SW as well

scan_nepal

My friends could not believe I bought one, and that too a used one! But I am glad I did because it can receive SW! It is about 10 years old, so I was told.
Reception on SW was not too shabby with a normal car antenna. By the way, newer car stereos cost about $100 in my neck of woods.
And those don't cover SW.
car_stereo_01.jpgcar_stereo_02.jpg

PACNWDude

Very interesting, and thank you for sharing. I will need to scour some of my local thrift stores for this model and look up others that may have this feature. I have done a few modern restore/mods and this type of thing is often sought after. This and amateur radios made to look retro/modern. Single DIN radios that receive shortwave is something that a certain niche does want.

a417

U+0000
Probably won't find too many of those in the CONUS pawn shops, still pretty cool...half a world away.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
I remember when we were growing up, that my Dad had a Blaupunkt AM/FM/shortwave radio in our car. I was an aftermarket radio in a Plymouth Fury.

I guess Pioneer still makes them:

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
I remember when we were growing up, that my Dad had a Blaupunkt AM/FM/shortwave radio in our car. I was an aftermarket radio in a Plymouth Fury.

I guess Pioneer still makes them:

They do, and they work great, I have a 2014 model of theirs. I was watching some shortwave youtube videos and some Malta guy was listening in his car with the built in touch screen thingy you see typically on today's modern junk plasticmobiles. He said it covers the 5-7 MHz range or something like that, no idea what it used for antenna but it was picking up fairly well.

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
Wonder why the coverage gap? Sony doesn't want you listening to 30 meters?

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
I just tossed that same radio in the trash a month ago. Had it in my work trucks for the past 18 years, tossed it because the AUX input finally died. My dad still has one in his boat though ..... Shall we start the bidding?