I know people's opinions can be subjective, but I still like to hear YOUR answer.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
In the two classes of scanning radios, portable and base, there are two classes of scanners, digital/analog and analog only. That last class of scanner is what interests me... if you were "looking back as a historian" (from this point in time), which analog scanner, whether currently sold or not, would you say, "is/was the best analog scanner of all time?"

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
There's a reason why the BCT15/15X has endured for nearly two decades. Honorable mention goes to the BC346XT.

PS - Pure base scanners are mostly a relic of the past, aside from one or two niche models. They are more appropriately classified as mobile/base. Not sure they would be considered a different "class" of scanner from their handheld counterparts, as many of the models that share the same capabilities/features also have some common internal components and similar performance. Two different formats, yes, but classified the same when it comes to capabilities.

PACNWDude

+1 on the Radio Shack/Realistic Pro-20xx series (with my favorite being the PRO-2006). Then the Uniden BCT-15/x. Great analog base station scanners in their time, and even better if Optronics made a computer interface board for the model (Pro-2004/5/6), and later Radio Shack Pro-2035/2042 models. Really allowed the scanners to monitor and log what they "heard".

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Maybe not the best performing scanner, even though it was a pretty good performer but my favorite is the Elektra Bearcat 101, to be able to program 16 channels using codes from a book, replacing the need to buy crystals was just fantastic.

It opened up the floodgates for putting whatever you wanted on a scanner, tunable models were good for searching but you only had one thing you could listen to at a time.

That was a true base unit as it was AC only but it didn't keep it out of my car LOL. Ended up having three of them, the first in 1975 from Lafayette electronics for $399.99, worth every penny.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Maybe not the best performing scanner, even though it was a pretty good performer but my favorite is the Elektra Bearcat 101, to be able to program 16 channels using codes from a book, replacing the need to buy crystals was just fantastic.
I agree. It was a groundbreaking design.

This scanner was exceptionally useful to me as a news photographer. With the flip of a few switches, I could monitor just the channels I needed for a breaking news scene. No other mobile scanner I have owned since, and I've owned a lot, has allowed direct channel access with the flip of a switch.

Granted, the newer scanners are easier to program (especially via a computer) and have more features and channels, but all lacked directly accessible channels like the BC 101.

Ubbe

"is/was the best analog scanner of all time?"
"Of all times" then most old scanners are more or less useless today as those scanners didn't have Narrow FM capability that most analog systems use today. But if instead "best analog scanner of its time" then for sure Pro-2006 are one of them but it isn't as sensitive as most other scanners but are instead extremely resistant to overload and desense that in a high RF signal environment can receive more than a scanner that are more sensitive.

From the next generation that had higher scan speed and NFM, the BC780 are probably among the best analog scanners of its time. I use mine daily but are lacking some channel steps used in todays systems.

/Ubbe

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I agree. It was a groundbreaking design.

This scanner was exceptionally useful to me as a news photographer. With the flip of a few switches, I could monitor just the channels I needed for a breaking news scene. No other mobile scanner I have owned since, and I've owned a lot, has allowed direct channel access with the flip of a switch.

Granted, the newer scanners are easier to program (especially via a computer) and have more features and channels, but all lacked directly accessible channels like the BC 101.
Sorry for not getting back to you Roger, I never got a notification on your post, I just found it now while I was looking for new posts..

It was groundbreaking for the news business.. we were able to really increase our coverage. Just enough channels to listen to, flipping the tabs on and off. We had a saying in the news room as capacity increased on scanners.. the more you scan, the less you hear😉

BinaryMode

I'm partial to my Radio Shack Pro-2042. Was my first ever base station scanner and one that covered AM/FM/WFM and up to 1300 MHz. It sits here in all its glory. I had owned two at one point. The other had the Optoelectronics OS535 board. I used to own a DX-394, too!

merlin

I had a vintage Radio Shack that was just wonderful, now I have the Uniden BCT-15X. Analog only but runs 24/7.
What I would like is an AOR 3000, but Jeez the price is not practical.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Pro 92/2067

CTCSS/DCS, Alphanumeric display, excellent reception, display color was good and readable, cloning between the two

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
Uniden BC-760XLT was a beast back in the day. I loved the RS Pro-2006 as well. Never had a 780/785 but had the 250 portable without the p25 card and that was amazing for back then. The BCT15 I currently use still. I always wanted a BC898T base station too.

W4ELL

Feed Provider
From the ones I actually own/have owned, I would say...

Base/Mobile:
780XLT
Pro 2035/2042
Pro 2006
BCT15X

Handheld:
Pro 43
AOR AR8000/8200
Pro 26
BC246T

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
The first one to impress me was the AOR3000. 100Khz to 2Ghz? No gaps other than cellular?
A scanner and shortwave receiver all in one.
It didn't have all that intermod like Uniden's had.
I could get WWV with just the telescoping antenna on the back of the radio.

But with a $1100 price tag in the 90's, I just couldn't afford it back then.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
No one model is perfect enough to be the best of all time. Each has its strong points and weaknesses. You're wanting an answer based on analog only, but don't mention trunking. The PRO-97 is a nice candidate as it has CT/DC decoding. a backlit LCD with alpha tagging. It can be programmed from software and doesn't require a crystal for each frequency it monitors. It could be the answer but doesn't handle rebanding and the f/w can't be updated.

That leads me to the PSR-310. It has a nicer LCD that's backlit in white. It does everything the '97 does but also employs object-oriented programming which means you're not locked into the 100 frequencies in 10 banks arrangement. While it does handle the rebanded systems, I don't use it for that, as those systems have dwindled away now. I was hoping GRE would come out with that display in their P25 version (PSR-510?), but they went away before that happened.

PSR-310 :)