I live in Asheville North Carolina and I was wondering if I could hear Greenville PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakeportland

Premium Subscriber
I live in Asheville North Carolina and I was wondering if I could hear Greenville PD
I am using the new Uniden bearcat scanner bcd436hp I have an outside antenna

SkiBob

Premium Subscriber
That's quite a stretch there Jake. I am not familiar with Greenville's system, but I AM familiar with the terrain and with all those mountains around you I'm thinking no. It's always worth a try, but keep in mind most modern systems are designed to stay within the county/jurisdiction they are in. Occasionally they reach out further, but not usually in a different state.

Plug it in your new scanner and let us know what you find out.

Enjoy your day :)

trumpetman

Database Admin
I'm gonna have to agree with Bob. I couldn't hear anything from SC with an outside antenna when I tried in Fletcher which is on the south end of Asheville. Terrain makes it near impossible.

wtp

too far

at 63 miles i would say no you can't.
there is a thing called skip and another called ducting that could come into play.
but on a regular basis no.
if you load their frequencies and hear someone it would probably be something local.
hope this helps.

LarrySC

The secret to the SC Palmetto system is knowing what is on each tower. I've monitored Laurens Co from South Cove area of Oconee Co. I now monitor Hwy Patrol dispatch in Greenwood from Furman Univ North of Greenville. This allows me to hear cars sign out at McCormick Co and thats a VERY long haul. First program the Hogback tower [# 17] and run it as a Wildcard to see what you get. Then try the Ceasers Head twr [31] the same way. Then try the Paris Mtn twr [#35]. If you just want Fire calls then use the simulcast 453.900. It would help if you posted the type of antenna and coax you use. 800 MHz is delicate and the connectors, coax, and antenna must all be correct. Good Luck, Larry

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Going the other way, Larry helped me out and I can get Buncombe county sheriff fairly reliable from Travelers Rest on a scantenna 2 30 feet up hooked to a Pro197. Can't say I have heard any Asheville city though.

Status
Not open for further replies.