I Lost Fort Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

dm1313

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I live in Spiro, OK about 12 miles from Fort Smith and I suddenly realized I'm not hearing anything out of Sebastian County anymore except Fort Chaffee and conventional frequencies. I no longer hear Ft. Smith PD or anything on AWIN, but I was until just recently. Did something change or is it my scanner? I have a Uniden HomePatrol II connected to a discone and yagi antenna.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Not meaning this to sound like a dumb question but just verifying...you've verified you have the correct talkgroups still programmed? Some show to be encrypted but the database shows PD dispatch is not E.

dm1313

Not a dumb question, but yeah, I checked that last night. I went ahead and deleted everything and reprogrammed it. No difference though. Its just weird that I'm not hearing anything from AWIN suddenly.. Scanner stops on PD frequencies and shows it's receiving, but there is no audio. Audio works fine on all conventional frequencies around me and I receive Fort Chaffee National Guard's Motorola system.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you export a HPE file of your favorites list and attach it, I will check it for problems. You will have to right click on the file and send to a compressed (zipped) folder to be able to attach it.

dm1313

If you export a HPE file of your favorites list and attach it, I will check it for problems. You will have to right click on the file and send to a compressed (zipped) folder to be able to attach it.

Hope I did this right.

Attachments

• SEBASTIAN.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 11

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
Only thing I see in Sebastian County for PD is one channel unencrypted.
If you are saying you no longer hear anything, since when?
Is it possible you haven't updated the database and there's been a frequency change, like a new control channel?

And if you did updated the database and started anew, well, then, Ft. Smith is a Simulcasted system and maybe the old HP 2 isn't up to par or your yagi somehow is no longer pointed at the right site?

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
Looking at your file, for the FL containing Sebastian County, all that stuff is a back up of the new AWIN two county system, perhaps that's why you no longer hear anything there.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
See below.
I could be wrong but, seems to me you are trying to listen to the conventional P25 system and not the newer trunked P25.

Try avoiding the first FL, Sebastian County and instead, try the last one where AWIN is with the new P25. If you still can't get anything then, my best guess would be you radio/antenna setup is unable to receive THAT system properly.

Attachments

• Capture.png
    Capture.png
    353.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
You live just on the inside of the coverage area for the AWIN system, not an ideal situation for an HP2 with a Yagi, given the finicky nature of a Phase 2 Simulcast system.Capture.JPG

tvengr

Well Known Member
I am not sure about the P25 X2-TDMA system type, if it works with both P25 and X2-TDMA. X2-TDMA was the predecessor to the P25 Phase 2 Standard. I checked and for some reason that is the system type listed for the AWIN system in the RR database. I started a thread in the database forum to get an answer.

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
I found that the system type is P25 X2-TDMA using the HomePatrol Sentinel and P25 Trunk using the BCDx36HP Sentinel. I am waiting to get a definitive answer to see if that is your problem. P25 Trunk and P25 X2-TDMA are separate options in the BCDx36HP Sentinel.

Last edited:

boy7777777777

As far as I know there is no x2-TDMA AWIN towers in Arkansas. I drove through there a couple months ago and picked them up fine on my 436hp. The tower is programmed in as p25 standard.

dm1313

Thanks for all of the replies. I updated everything again last night, but still nothing other than conventional channels. Everything I was receiving on AWIN just disappeared earlier this week. I assumed there had been a change in the system, but now I'm thinking it may be the HP. I'm going to reprogram it again as suggested and see what happens. May end up getting a new scanner if this doesn't help.
Thanks again.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I have a Sebastian Co trunking file in another program using the Ft Smith site.. I am going to cut and paste into HomePatrol Sentinel and attach the file for you to try. Let me know if you know how to import a HPE file.

dm1313

I have a Sebastian Co trunking file in another program using the Ft Smith site.. I am going to cut and paste into HomePatrol Sentinel and attach the file for you to try. Let me know if you know how to import a HPE file.
Thanks. Yes I know how.

tvengr

Well Known Member
AWIN is currently transitioning to Phase II.
Thanks for the info. What I don't understand is why in the RR database the AWIN system is P25 X2-TDMA using HomePatrol Sentinel and P25 Trunk using BCDx36HP Sentinel. HomePatrol Sentinel also has an option of P25 Standard.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
See my post in this thread. It is a Uniden bug specific to the HomePatrol version of Sentinel.

PS - To be clear, X2-TDMA was not the direct predecessor to the APCO Phase II standard; it was Motorola's proprietary implementation of P25 TDMA trunking. There haven't been any X2-TDMA systems manufactured or on the air for years, they have all been converted to Phase II by this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.