I Lost Fort Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvengr

Well Known Member
PS - To be clear, X2-TDMA was not the direct predecessor to the APCO Phase II standard; it was Motorola's proprietary implementation of P25 TDMA trunking. There haven't been any X2-TDMA systems manufactured or on the air for years, they have all been converted to Phase II by this point.

Thank you!

tvengr

Well Known Member
imported the file and it is scanning and stops on talkgroups, but no audio at all.
That may be due to Fort Smith being a simulcast site. Try moving the scanner to different locations and changing the orientation of the antenna. HP2 scanners are known to have problems with simulcast systems.

dm1313

Going to Fort Smith later and taking the scanner to see if it does any better over there. I have a yagi and a discone and they're up about 30'. It just seems strange that I was receiving everything until a few days ago and now nothing on AWIN.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you are seeing the Sebastian Co talkgroups on the Ft Smith site, you must be receiving the control channel but not decoding it very well. It is possible that the site may have power problems or possibly another simulcast site has been added. I suspect that the audio may cut in an out as you travel. If you find that is the case, you are most likely suffering from simulcast distortion. The Uniden SDS100 and SDS200 are the only scanners designed to receive simulcast systems. They are the only scanners that will receive the Baltimore Co MD simulcast system at my home. Try your scanner with both the files you downloaded and the one I sent you to compare which works better.

dm1313

I drove to Fort Smith and down towards Hartford. AR and nothing except conventional traffic. I suppose it's time to upgrade. Seriously considering the SDS200 as a replacement.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I drove to Fort Smith and down towards Hartford. AR and nothing except conventional traffic. I suppose it's time to upgrade. Seriously considering the SDS200 as a replacement.
Both the SDS100 and SDS200 work equally well with simulcast. The question is do you want a scanner your can carry with you and use as a portable, such as the HP2, or one that is strictly base or mobile. My SDS100 works very well sitting in a cup holder in my vehicle. I just wanted to mention that to consider so you don't regret your choice later. Whichever scanner you select, you can export the Sebastian Co file from your HomePatrol Sentinel and import it into the BCDx36HP (includes SDS100/200) Sentinel. Using BCDx36HP Sentinel, your can add quick keys to favorites lists, systems, departments, and sites so that you can easily select what you want to scan from the keypad. Please let me know if you need any assistance with quick keys or have any other questions.

wbswetnam

At this moment, I'm picking up Sebastian County Sheriff off of the Katie's Knob tower on my BCD996P2. I live in Russellville. I'm not getting them at the moment, but I often hear Fort Smith PD and Fort Smith Fire dispatch off of the Katie's Knob tower, too.

dm1313

Okay...don't know what happened, but got up this morning and turned on my scanner and I'm receiving everything that I did before...all of the Sebastian County systems and AHP. Even heard Washington County which is about 75 miles north, but I don't know which tower it could have been, Anyway, it seems as if I don't need another scanner right now.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Okay...don't know what happened, but got up this morning and turned on my scanner and I'm receiving everything that I did before...all of the Sebastian County systems and AHP. Even heard Washington County which is about 75 miles north, but I don't know which tower it could have been, Anyway, it seems as if I don't need another scanner right now.

Was it a brief period that you hadn’t been hearing them? It’s possible there was a site issue on the system.

dm1313

Was it a brief period that you hadn’t been hearing them? It’s possible there was a site issue on the system.

I lost reception on all of AWIN for close to a week. Still receiving fine as of today. Very possible an issue with the system or a tower.

KG7PBS

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I live in Spiro, OK about 12 miles from Fort Smith and I suddenly realized I'm not hearing anything out of Sebastian County anymore except Fort Chaffee and conventional frequencies. I no longer hear Ft. Smith PD or anything on AWIN, but I was until just recently. Did something change or is it my scanner? I have a Uniden HomePatrol II connected to a discone and yagi antenna.

How the Hell do you just lose a Fort

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I lost reception on all of AWIN for close to a week. Still receiving fine as of today. Very possible an issue with the system or a tower.

Yeah, it's possible that site was down for maintenance or had an issue. What site is it that you're usually picking up? I'll look back in my received email notifications and see if there was one about it having an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.