I missed the first part

Status
Not open for further replies.

millerfour

Just last week I got my own scanner, until now I had a barrowed one. Now this hobby seems more real to me. Most all the time I am home I have it on, but.... tonight I turned it off to watch a clip on youtube that had low volume..... about two minutes later I heard sirens in the neighborhood. Turn on the scanner and get a good car chase, prusuit of suspect on foot and with K-9 and now investigation. But, I have no idea what caused said commotion. This is the first "exciting" thing I've heard in five months and I missed the first part. I feel cheated in some way. Just needed to share my frustration.

CDS-INC

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
i got a minitor pager and programmed my local police dispatch...i keep it on my belt all the time, i never miss a thing

gcgrotz

I feel your pain. Last year the house across the street went up in flames. Scanner was not on, I was in the back room ham shack. Heard all the sirens and went to the front door... it looked like a bonfire! As I ran out to my truck to get the scanner I could feel the heat, the first trucks were arriving. I guess it is part of Murphy's Law. Hang in there, you will get to hear some good stuff.

P.S. you must have a very good friend to lend you a scanner. Welcome aboard RR!

steveh552

yep, iv had my share of exciting things, but iv missed a ton of them myself. My dad just gave me a Uniden 350a scanner he bought at a yard sale for $1.00 plus I have my two 2 meter radios programed with all the local stuff and have used them as scanners. I am in the market (well, saving for) a digital scanner now.

hoser147

I take it you must be in a rural area. You can always expand your monitoring range. Enjoy your new hobby as it sounds like the bug has bitten ya. ya gotta take the good with the bad. Better luck next time.................Hoser

n2mdk

That happens to all of us I'm sure. It even happens to me when the scanner is on and because of doing things like typing a postings I miss things. It's funny because of the cablebox DVR I'm so used to being able to replay something on TV I'll actually turn to the scanner, sort of look at it a second and realize that I don't have that ability with the scanner. I'm sure there is a way to do it if I use the computer to record the scanner, but as of yet I haven't done anything like that.

millerfour

I take it you must be in a rural area.

Ya, we live in a "big" town in Nebraska of about 30,000 and about 6000 college kids. It has a real small town feel, so our excitment level is low.

This weekend there is an auto show of sorts in town: drag races, show and shine, car show, cruise nite, auto auction, parade, live bands and drinking. We will have not only local law enforcement (city and county) but the state patrol and officers from two local towns helping patrol, they will be in cars, on bikes, on motorcycles, on foot and have the K-9's out. It's a big deal for us, so when I get home tonight I am turning it on and not turning it off until I can not stay awake any longer.

I remember growing up in Greenfield Indiana, a similar sized town. As a small child family and friends had the old four crystal scanners with blinking led lights. It was a Friday night event to sit near the adults as they had their drinks and smoked, listening to the the "exciting" radio traffic. If we were lucky a drunk got picked up and locked up so he could sober up, and maybe heard about a fight or two. Andy Griffith stuff to be sure. All things being relative, it was very interesting, for us, living there, at that time.

In my current home town Friday night usually involves on average, one or two barricade situations involving the swat team and negotiators, a half dozen shootings, a few stabbings, a half dozen armed robberies, and so many other smaller crimes I have to narrow my scanning down to just the "chase" channels of one police department (PPD), and even then it is too much to take in, and I end up picking the most interesting thing (I love barricades and searches for shooting suspects who are running through yards hiding from the helicopters - things that involve command posts and large perimeters). With our illegal alien and crystal meth problems here, our local law enforcement is pushed to the brink every weekend. Can't wait to get home and listen from the safety of my shack every Friday (tonight!). Much better than TV.

Are you within 100 miles or so of a large city? Maybe a tall tower and a yagi could pull it in. Just a thought.

If I was in that situation I am sure I would have one of those crank up towers (the big one), just to hear more, though I might have to eat rice and beans for a year to afford it.

Last edited:

millerfour

Are you within 100 miles or so of a large city?

It's over 100 miles to Lincoln (but it might be nice to hear Husker game day stuff) and close to 200 miles to Omaha. We have cable for our t.v. service, but the people who lived here before us, left there t.v. antana on the house, could I hook that up somehow and be able to use it? We thought about tearing it down, but my husband doesn't want to get up on the house if he doesn't have to.

The scanner I was barrowing was my moms, she was in the process of moving, so I took it out of a box and brought it home. The town I grew up in was/is 800 people, again a Mayberry town. Most of the reason my mom had it was to listen to weather, but also to see where the ambulance was going. It's a town where they blow the whistle at noon and for fire/ems calls, to let the volunteer guys know there is a call. If the whistle goes off and it's not noon, everyone steps out to see what goes out and where it goes.

Funny small town scanner story: One August night a pivot caught on fire, they blew the whistle, but not enough guys came. The fire hall is across the street from the bar, so they ran over and yelled for guys to come. A guy driving one of the fire trucks, went straight into the corn field and got lost. He was drunk and didn't think about using the road to the pivot. So not only did the farmer loose a pivot engine, but a good section of corn.

randyf

still trying to figure this all out
i missed the first part

i have a portable in kitchen, base unit in the livingroom bcd396t on my side at all times and i still miss somethings !!

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I'm going to get a Minitor V with STORED VOICE!
As long as I keep the pager on, I will never miss it, as it will record into stored voice mode

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
My Minitor V only stores the voice after the page opens it up.

well program to your local FD or EMS
put to your local police and you have a small radio to monitor the frequency, but no stored voice without tones

KC0QNB

It's over 100 miles to Lincoln (but it might be nice to hear Husker game day stuff) and close to 200 miles to Omaha. We have cable for our t.v. service, but the people who lived here before us, left there t.v. antana on the house, could I hook that up somehow and be able to use it? We thought about tearing it down, but my husband doesn't want to get up on the house if he doesn't have to.

The scanner I was barrowing was my moms, she was in the process of moving, so I took it out of a box and brought it home. The town I grew up in was/is 800 people, again a Mayberry town. Most of the reason my mom had it was to listen to weather, but also to see where the ambulance was going. It's a town where they blow the whistle at noon and for fire/ems calls, to let the volunteer guys know there is a call. If the whistle goes off and it's not noon, everyone steps out to see what goes out and where it goes.

Funny small town scanner story: One August night a pivot caught on fire, they blew the whistle, but not enough guys came. The fire hall is across the street from the bar, so they ran over and yelled for guys to come. A guy driving one of the fire trucks, went straight into the corn field and got lost. He was drunk and didn't think about using the road to the pivot. So not only did the farmer loose a pivot engine, but a good section of corn.

Hey you forgot the chasing the Indians out of your yard part, we really need to chat sometime, I am only 60 miles away...west. So cruise night is happening this weekend?

I will call your pivot story and raise you one more, this goes along with your noon whistle story, where I grew up in the NE part of the state, they actually had two whistles, one by the water tower (stand pipe) and one on the firehall, the one at the water tower was the 6:00 whistle (they quit the noon siren). anyway there was a chalk board at the firehall just inside the window, the first guy responding would take the info for the location of the fire and write it on the chalk board, so the other guys would know where to go. Usually what was written was something like this, Joe Smiths farm the north one, or past the cemetery about 2 miles then then north past the old Miller place.
Isn't technology great!
Oh I just thought there are guys on here that don't know what a pivot is, here is a picture
pivot1-1.jpg

Enjoy!

Last edited:

thenoob

wow same thing with me there was a chopper over my house with the search light and all. i need to know what channel heis on
if anyone can help me its the york region chopper in toronto canada?
plzzzzzz help

Status
Not open for further replies.