I missed the memo

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccrider

I used to laugh at my grandparents because I had to post step by step directions for email next to their computer, and they still had questions.......Now I am the not so smart and cool next generation.
I just bought a 396T and have absolutely no idea where to even begin to understand what needs to be done. I have read the manual, looked on forums, read everything I can find on the web, to no avail. I feel like a well-read idiot now. Nothing makes sense to me.

Immediate goals.....Listen to my scanner picking up local PD, FD, and EMS services.

2 week goals.....Be able to understand how to program this scanner so I can customize what I want to hear in my area and when traveling.

Future goals.....Write a step by step scanner programming guide for idiots like me.

I really am not an idiot and can pick up things quick, but I am just overwhelmed.

Any advice?

Austin, TX is my local, FYI

ccrider

Soon I will use software to program......Serial ports are not included with todays computer so I have to get the USB connector tomorrow.

gabyjan2291

oh im so glad that someone else is having problems programing their scanner. mine is only a pro-94b and i have read the manual (even putting it on my desktop-sort of a heads up display) and i understand the manual about as much as i understand one of weather thingies on the hurricane forums.
i even took it to radio shack. now the question is how do i put the dec s into the scanner
since all the rs person did was put in main freqs. so how do i do it? in very simple simple language please! ive the conventionals on there but i would like the trunked working

im in tifton ga albany and valdosta are "big cities" both within 50 miles

gcgrotz

Software is the way to go. I got mine last spring, had the pc running before the radio came, lloaded the local trs info that I got here on RR and was scanning 10 minutes later. Of course, I didn't have any idea of how to operate the darn thing but I was scanning! Now, 6 or 7 months later, I'm still learning how to do things with it like I just figured out how to scan and not scan groups within a system.

Good luck and keep the manual handy. Just try a few things at a time and then try new stuff. But get the software for programming it, I prefer Butel's version because it works well with the RR databases.

davidd2957

It would be better to post these questions in the proper forums. Either in the Area of concern (a specific location), or in the correct forum as to radio specific (radio shack, uniden etc.), or in the software forum. This is a General Forum for non type specific concerns.
David D.

gabyjan2291 said:
oh im so glad that someone else is having problems programing their scanner. mine is only a pro-94b and i have read the manual (even putting it on my desktop-sort of a heads up display) and i understand the manual about as much as i understand one of weather thingies on the hurricane forums.
i even took it to radio shack. now the question is how do i put the dec s into the scanner
since all the rs person did was put in main freqs. so how do i do it? in very simple simple language please! ive the conventionals on there but i would like the trunked working

im in tifton ga albany and valdosta are "big cities" both within 50 miles

It would be a good idea to create your own thread, and not "jack" the original posters. I'm sure you will get plenty of help.

Status
Not open for further replies.