I modded my HP1 and antenna review

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommypierson

I took the front face off my HP1 and Plasti dip the the silver face to black (I hate Silver). When I removed the face place there is a black felt cloth that is over the speaker. I left the felt cloth out when I put it back together and it sounds a lot better IMHO.

Homepatrol-1 with Comet miricle baby antenna P25 - YouTube

Here is a video I shot today with this new Comet Miracle baby antenna and better audio. I went to HRO and tested out every antenna on the wall they had and I can not believe how well this antenna work on my HP1 on a simulcast system.

br0adband

Now, find a way to mod it so you can re-orient the display itself 90 degrees counterclockwise and add a battery pack and voila... a portable HP-1 handheld (more or less). :D

I'd never seen an HP-1 in person till yesterday, stopped by Fry's here in Las Vegas to get a few antenna components and they had one on the shelf, very heavy device but I was surprised at the overall size.

"I thought you'd be bigger..." was the movie line that came to mind.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Remove the 4 Phillips screws from the back of the HP1 and the face will pop off. Then you will see 4 more Screws on the back of the face when it is off. Really easy and self explanatory as you do it.

As the old GEICO commercial said, "so easy a caveman can do it." :D

Thanks for the info.

:)

KI6AOK

Premium Subscriber
Remove the 4 Phillips screws from the back of the HP1 and the face will pop off. Then you will see 4 more Screws on the back of the face when it is off. Really easy and self explanatory as you do it.

To clarify, there are two screws visible when you turn the unit over. The other two screws referred to above are under the batteries. Additionally, there are five screws that must be removed from the back of the face, not four. Just FYI for anyone who might try this. I just did : ) I can't say removing the very thin piece of cloth from over the speaker made any difference in sound quality, but it was fun to try!

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I took the front face off my HP1 and Plasti dip the the silver face to black (I hate Silver). When I removed the face place there is a black felt cloth that is over the speaker. I left the felt cloth out when I put it back together and it sounds a lot better IMHO.

Homepatrol-1 with Comet miricle baby antenna P25 - YouTube

Here is a video I shot today with this new Comet Miracle baby antenna and better audio. I went to HRO and tested out every antenna on the wall they had and I can not believe how well this antenna work on my HP1 on a simulcast system.

I'm not normally a copycat, but the black textured look really appealed to me...so I copied it.

Thanks for the suggestion!

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I'm not normally a copycat, but the black textured look really appealed to me...so I copied it.

Thanks for the suggestion!

So did I. Just waiting for the face to dry. After that, I'll reassemble the radio and post a pic.

:)

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
I'm sure I'm stating the obvious here, but I think it bears mentioning anyway, for anyone who attempts this mod - you most likely are violating any warranty you might still have on the scanner by doing this. If you have a brand new Home Patrol, you might want to at least wait until it's out of warranty before taking it apart for any reason. Better safe than sorry!

-AZ

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I hate that the silver paint look seems to be making a comeback. It usually looks like crap when the paint wears, especially when it's beige underneath like a lot of silver painted stuff is. I like the black look. Uniden should make a change on future HP-1s and make the front out of black plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.