I need a new mobile antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

dic

I have been using the Austin Spectra for many years with NO complaints whatsoever.

Unfortunately, I recently tried screwing it back on after a car wash with wet hands and apparently (due to experiments with other antennas on the same mobile mount and conversations with the people at Austin) somehow managed to break something inside which rendered the antenna worthless.

Although I live in Florida, I subject my scanner and antenna to nearly every band in the spectrum from 39 all the way up to 800.

My question: Is there any antenna BETTER than the Spectra at wide band coverage, and if there is something better, is it as unnoticeable as the Spectra?

Thank you

Dic
N1XBA

af5rn

dic said:
My question: Is there any antenna BETTER than the Spectra at wide band coverage, and if there is something better, is it as unnoticeable as the Spectra?
As unnoticeable as the Spectra? Are you sure you're not asking for something more unnoticeable than the Spectra? The Spectra is about the ugliest, most conspicuously noticeable antenna ever made, lol. I painted mine all black, but it still sticks out like a sore thumb. Anything would be less noticeable than a Spectra.

But no, I am not aware of any full-coverage antenna that rivals it. The Maxrad is pretty sweet, both in performance and aesthetics, but drops off pretty seriously on low band. If you're not too far from the low-band systems you monitor, then that may be an option for you. Otherwise, us guys that monitor that wide of a spectrum are pretty limited in our choices.

I just wish the Spectra was a little sturdier. They really need to find a different way to mount that base where the antenna doesn't flex so much at the base. At highway speeds, that thing lays back at nearly a 45 degree angle, and that can't be good for it.

N1BHH

I don't know anything about the Spectra laying back at an angle at highway speeds. I had one that was pretty stiff at 80, so maybe you have it mounted on an aircraft and doing better than highway speeds.

I currently use the Larsen NMO-150/450/800 on the van and sometimes just a VHF quarter wave, and they work fine for me. Low band is lacking, but low band is lacking in this area anyway, there just ain't much. I do hear the few that are on there, though. I also have the NMO-2/70 hooked up (at home as the prime scanner antenna) which does a pretty darn good job as well. There are plenty of antennas out there to replace the Spectra. I never really had a problem with mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.