I need a new scanner in Polk Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ankgrays

My old scanner was analog and trunking. Not much in Polk Co. with that now.

What would be the most inexpensive scanner that will pick up Polk Co Sheriff, DMPD, and maybe some other close agencies?

Not picky about brand, but would be nice to be fairly easy to program.

Thanks!

thatoneiowan

Feed Provider
Both major trunking systems in Polk County have simulcast sites. I'd second the recommendation of a SDS100/200. You can try using something like a BCD325P2/996P2 or BCD436/536, but know that it might not work due to the modulation of the radio signals. If you want to try anyway, I'd say buy from somewhere with a generous return policy.

There's a lot of info on simulcast distortion here on the site if you want to read up a bit on it.

One last thing, the 325p2/996p2 has a cap on the number of departments/groups (20) and talk groups (500). This won't be an issue for just Polk County programming but if you expand into nearby counties or plan to travel with the scanner you might begin to hit that threshold.

ankgrays

Kinda what I thought. I’m a tightwad.

I’ve been looking at the sds100, but didn’t like the price.

thatoneiowan

Feed Provider
You could try seeing how others in the area like their scanners. I have read a decent amount of people have luck with their 325p2 or 436hp in Des Moines. I have also seen people that did not have luck. It just kinda depends. I can't really help on that since I'm in Huxley and use sds200s for most of my scanning

My thought is you might try to find somewhere that has a generous return policy, buy a cheaper scanner, if it works great if not return it. Or you could just dump cash on the SDS100. Your preference, obviously the first choice requires more patience.

I forgot to mention as far as programming goes, there is free computer software available and YouTube tutorials on how to use them for all of those scanners. The 436 and sds100 also have programming by zip code, which the 325p2 does not have, but you might get some extraneous stuff in the mix.

ankgrays

Well, I’m not too far from you. I’m in Ankeny. I’ll probably just save up a little, as I just retired and am “on a fixed income”😉. I like the idea of programming by zip too.

DSMTJ

I'm in West Des Moines currently using a 436HP. It works decently well on the simulcast system, but that is a little dependent on where I'm at in my house. Not wanting to mess with different antennas and trying to dial it in, I'm about to upgrade to an SDS100.

If you have interest in a 436HP I'm planning to put mine up for sale when the new one arrives.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
There are software solutions that work well with newer computers, specifically SDRTrunk for Windows, MacOS or Linux - or OP25 on a $50 Raspberry Pi. Requires some intermediate computer skills to set up, but the 2 required SDRs cost about $60, and the software is free.

Status
Not open for further replies.