I need a new scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Depmodeche

Premium Subscriber
Hello! I dropped my beloved PRO106 and broke it. I listen to Philly, Bucks and Montco, and in anticipation of the changes coming to the Philly PD radio system, should I get either a PSR-800 or a BCD436HP? I believe those are the two scanners that will work continue to work in the future. Is this correct?

Thanks very much!

Dep

SCPD

QRT
Buy the 436hp or the new Whistler WS1040 coming out very soon. GRE out of business making PSR-800 a door stopper and will not be supported by the new company Whistler.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
I'll second the advice on the Uniden. I've been a GRE/radio shack user for years but also have had several Uniden products. For right now the uniden would be the radio of choice. If you can wait it might be worth letting Whistler get their product to market and let some folks do a head to head comparison before making a decision.

SCPD

QRT
I would check out the Uniden forums, PA state forum, and see how performance is on these two new scanners relative to your area. If you can hold out a bit, Whistler is waiting for approval by the FCC on new products, might be worth the wait, then make your decision as to which would be the best for you.

Depmodeche

Premium Subscriber
Thanks very much for the good advice. I took my Pro106 apart and soldered a 6 inch piece of wire onto the circuit board where the wire for the antennae goes (or used to go before I dropped it and the antennae went flying) and then filled the antennae hole with silicone to hold the wire in place and to my amazement the thing works as good if not better than before!

(NOTE: The black plastic thing at the end of the wire is a fuse holder. I'd planned to snip that off after I was done attaching the wire, but it's working so good I might just leave it.)

Attachments

• IMG_20140413_245826197.jpg
    IMG_20140413_245826197.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 235

Depmodeche

Premium Subscriber
ForWhen I Go To Philly During The Week I'll See You're It Works For Philly Pd. e higher frequencies that wire will do a fine job. You can receive 500 through 800 on a paper clip.

Good work

Thank You! I'm Up In Bucks But during the week when I go to Philadelphia I'll see how it works for the Philly PD.

Twister_2

Feed Provider
I had (still have) a Pro-106. At the time, it was a great radio but the build quality is crap. It is so cheap. My buttons fell off and the screen goes crazy and I have to make sure my power supply is really tight on the unit or it doesn't get power. I can go on about how bad this scanner is. Oh did I mention how bad poorly it performs with simulcast p25?? UNIDEN is a much better choice. I always liked Uniden- I had their phones, CBs, and now their scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.