• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

I need a price on a Mototrbo system

Status
Not open for further replies.

RKG

When I first spotted this thread, I determined not to get involved. As it has progressed, I find I cannot resist. So here goes:

By way of background, I am an independent radio communications consultant. I don’t sell any radios or anything else other than my time. Most of my clients are police chiefs or fire chiefs who have concluded that they are not equipped and would therefore not be wise to deal with vendor shops on their own. Interestingly, some of my clients are radios shops, either who have encountered esoteric issues they don’t want to take the time to learn on their own or who want their best customers to be well advised.

Though no two systems are exactly the same (nor should they be), my public safety concentration means that I deal mostly with voted, repeated, wireline-controlled FM (primarily UHF) systems, which typically will have two transmitters, between five and ten receivers, one or two console-based dispatch points, and between 25 and 2,500 subscriber units. If cost is no object, I’ll start out recommending to anyone Quantar stations, XTL and XTS subscribers, a JPS voter and a Zetron console.

My experience with MotoTRBO is limited, but not nil. A couple of years ago, a Motorola shop for whom I do some work asked me to take a hard look at MotoTRBO; the owner wanted to know what it was so that he could decide in which situations it would make a competent recommendation to a customer. (Yes, there are reputable radio shops.) So he acquired a repeater, a couple of mobiles, and a couple of portables. We set the repeater up, first in the staging area and then at one of his sites, and put it through its paces.

MotoTRBO is a cross between a dedicated channel (“conventional”) radio and a trunked radio. It utilizes two digital data channels that share one 12.5 KHz F1D RF channel. If used for digital voice, both channels can be employed simultaneously.

User “channels” are entirely “logical channels.” That is to say, as with a trunked system, selecting a “channel” (sometimes a/k/a “talkgroup”) means selecting a group of users who’s equipment has been programmed such that when Subscriber A keys, all of the radios of the other members of the logical group will hear what he says and can, if they like, push the button and respond. Unlike a true trunked system, however, each “logical channel” is locked to one of the two TDM slots on the MotoTRBO RF channel, so that if you have two logical channels on Slot A, when one of them is using the channel, the other will get a busy signal. Also unlike a true trunked system, all of the talkgroup programming is done in the subscriber units; there is no “system controller.” This means that in order to added talkgroup members, one has to touch all of the subscriber units to update their programming.

When I looked at it, the MotoTRBO “repeater” was just a box containing a mobile radio, a power supply, and some backplane connections. By no means was this the equal of a Quantar or MTR2000, the minimum that I would specify for a police or fire radio system. At that time (I believe this has now changed), there was no provision for wireline control; all dispatch input was done via a control station. At that time (and I don’t know if this has changed), MotoTRBO had no capacity for multiple, voted receivers. Likewise, when I looked at them, MotoTRBO subscriber units were comparatively low end: certainly lower than Spectras/MCS2000s/XTLs or MTS2000s, XTSs. In fact, they appeared to be lower in build quality than the CDM/HT1250 line (which has proved to be far more rugged and reliable than anyone expected when they first came out).

MotoTRBO “repeaters” and subscribers have the capacity to employ analog F3E emission. This appears to have been provided to ease cutover, and when employed the analog function occupies the entirety of the 12.5 KHz FM RF channel. When used in data mode, MotoTRBO can be used to convey both digital voice and data, and the aspiration of the MotoTRBO “System Planner” is clearly that a MotoTRBO system would be used and useable for data functions such as AVL, POS, inventory control and who knows what else. I seem to recall that the data functions were limited to Slot B, and, as above, when they were using Slot B, no one else could use it (either for data or voice).

When used in digital mode, MotoTRBO makes no provision for “direct” (i.e., short range simplex communications, such as on the fireground), and for that reason its application in the fire service seems to conflict with NFPA 1221. The 1221 admonition against using digital voice on the fireground grew out of the experience of FDNY (and others, I believe), and may prove to be limited to Astro 25-based systems. However, the lack of access to “direct” ability, either for technical reasons or as the result of system planning, has cost the lives of firefighters and is something I would never recommend.

So, how does MotoTRBO work in the field? As with all radio systems, this depends hugely on the competence of system design, which is why I guffawed a tad at the OP’s solicitation of “in the box” quotes for equipment, sort of like buying a stereo system. In the tests we ran, a MotoTRBO “repeater” was hooked to a competent (albeit single site) antenna system located at a premier radio high site in the greater Boston area. We found area coverage was pretty good, particularly with the mobile radios (out to more than 20 miles with 99% DAQ voice). The sound of the digital voice (given an adequate signal) was excellent, much better than that of IMBE voice. Subscriber units were, however, a bit complicated for people (including some radio savvy people) to use, more like cellular telephones than two-way radios. And there was a distinct delay between key press and talk permit tone.

My opinion at the time (and I have no basis for changing it now, though I do acknowledge that some particulars may have changed) is that MotoTRBO was intended for a commercial or industrial application, covering a relatively compact and well-defined campus, trading a multiplicity of logical channels for some cumbersomeness in system programming and user interface. In such an application, and given competent system design, I thought (and think) MotoTRBO can perform quite well. I did not (and do not) believe that MotoTRBO was intended to be used in a public safety application – where you must be able to get through right now, where training has to conform to all of the other demands on the users, and where we radio guys have to remember that the radio is not a piece of artwork to be ogled and drooled over, but just a tool that, unless it makes the user’s job easier and safer, is useless.

End of diatribe; sorry for taking so much of your time.

jim202

The only "case study" I have found in support of MotoTRBO for public safety, MOTOTRBO for Public Safety? YES! :Rayfield Communications , is yours. Motorola hasn't published a case study supporting it that I can find. Numerous studies involving business and college campuses but in all honestly I haven't spent a lot of time looking.

Adamfd202 my advice.. Read the forums. The only people supporting MotoTRBO for public safety are the ones that are going to make a dollar off of it. The end users that have the experience with the system have very little to say favorably of it. I am sure some agencies are happy with them but I do not know of one. I say do what we are doing. Get yourself narrow band complaint and wait for the bugs to work out. Also, if you are anticipating the Feds helping you financially, well don't hold your breath. You figure it out.

Let's not get carried away pointing fingers here.

The only thing I have been able to see in the MOTOTRBO is the low cost. If that's all your concerned
with, then by all means spend your money. If your looking for long term investment, I would pull in
the horses and look around carefully before spending the hard earned tax money on something you
may regret down the road. Stay away from the slick sales pitch and do your homework. The free
meals are not worth the rath that can come down on you 6 months or a year down the road.

Just about all the radio companies have good portable radios and mobiles that can fit your needs.
Take your time and get a radio in your hands to play with if that's what it takes. Most sales people
will loan you a radio to try. If they won't, slam the door on them and go to the next company.

JRayfield

Very nicely put-together overview of MOTOTRBO. I'm very glad that you jumped in.

There have been some changes:

The durability of the portables has proven to be very good over the last several years. I would easily put them as comparable to the HT-series (and actually better, if you consider water, since the XPR radios are submersible). I would agree that, at first glance/feel, they wouldn't appear to be as durable as the HT-series. But time has proven that to not be the case.

There are now ways to tie directly into some MOTOTRBO systems at the IP-level, for dispatch, rather than having to use control stations. There are also ways of using this IP-connectivity to bridge MOTOTRBO systems into conventional analog systems without using control stations, as well.

Simplex (direct) operation is available in the digital mode. It has been for at least 3 years (that's about when I first started playing with a MOTOTRBO radio).

The two time slots on a repeater can now be trunked (Capacity Plus trunking). Multiple repeaters can be connected with an ethernet network to provide very nice, low-cost, single-site trunking systems (there is a limit as to how many repeaters can be connected together). There is a cost for each repeater, but the cost is less than what most LTR controllers cost and it's just a firmware upgrade for the repeater. There is no additional cost for the subscriber units.

Data can be sent on any time slot. There are pros and cons to different configurations, so a system must be 'designed' properly for best operation. Just as you pointed out.

The MTR2000 is going away (in fact, for UHF, it's gone, or will be very soon). It's being replaced with the MTR3000, which comes standard with MOTOTRBO.

You mentioned access to time to the repeater. I've found it to be faster than some LTR trunking systems. It's extremely fast. I'm wondering if that was improved upon over the last several years. There have been many firmware/software updates, adding functionality as well as fixing 'bugs' and just improving things overall.

Oh, one other interesting update: transmit interrupt. With the next firmware/software release, MOTOTRBO will support transmit interrupt on single-repeater systems, IP Siteconnect systems (multiple site, single repeaters), and Capacity Plus trunking systems. This allows a transmission on the system to be 'interrupted' by someone else, in an emergency situation.

John Rayfield, Jr. - CETma

When I first spotted this thread, I determined not to get involved. As it has progressed, I find I cannot resist. So here goes:

By way of background, I am an independent radio communications consultant. I don’t sell any radios or anything else other than my time. Most of my clients are police chiefs or fire chiefs who have concluded that they are not equipped and would therefore not be wise to deal with vendor shops on their own. Interestingly, some of my clients are radios shops, either who have encountered esoteric issues they don’t want to take the time to learn on their own or who want their best customers to be well advised.

Though no two systems are exactly the same (nor should they be), my public safety concentration means that I deal mostly with voted, repeated, wireline-controlled FM (primarily UHF) systems, which typically will have two transmitters, between five and ten receivers, one or two console-based dispatch points, and between 25 and 2,500 subscriber units. If cost is no object, I’ll start out recommending to anyone Quantar stations, XTL and XTS subscribers, a JPS voter and a Zetron console.

My experience with MotoTRBO is limited, but not nil. A couple of years ago, a Motorola shop for whom I do some work asked me to take a hard look at MotoTRBO; the owner wanted to know what it was so that he could decide in which situations it would make a competent recommendation to a customer. (Yes, there are reputable radio shops.) So he acquired a repeater, a couple of mobiles, and a couple of portables. We set the repeater up, first in the staging area and then at one of his sites, and put it through its paces.

MotoTRBO is a cross between a dedicated channel (“conventional”) radio and a trunked radio. It utilizes two digital data channels that share one 12.5 KHz F1D RF channel. If used for digital voice, both channels can be employed simultaneously.

User “channels” are entirely “logical channels.” That is to say, as with a trunked system, selecting a “channel” (sometimes a/k/a “talkgroup”) means selecting a group of users who’s equipment has been programmed such that when Subscriber A keys, all of the radios of the other members of the logical group will hear what he says and can, if they like, push the button and respond. Unlike a true trunked system, however, each “logical channel” is locked to one of the two TDM slots on the MotoTRBO RF channel, so that if you have two logical channels on Slot A, when one of them is using the channel, the other will get a busy signal. Also unlike a true trunked system, all of the talkgroup programming is done in the subscriber units; there is no “system controller.” This means that in order to added talkgroup members, one has to touch all of the subscriber units to update their programming.

When I looked at it, the MotoTRBO “repeater” was just a box containing a mobile radio, a power supply, and some backplane connections. By no means was this the equal of a Quantar or MTR2000, the minimum that I would specify for a police or fire radio system. At that time (I believe this has now changed), there was no provision for wireline control; all dispatch input was done via a control station. At that time (and I don’t know if this has changed), MotoTRBO had no capacity for multiple, voted receivers. Likewise, when I looked at them, MotoTRBO subscriber units were comparatively low end: certainly lower than Spectras/MCS2000s/XTLs or MTS2000s, XTSs. In fact, they appeared to be lower in build quality than the CDM/HT1250 line (which has proved to be far more rugged and reliable than anyone expected when they first came out).

MotoTRBO “repeaters” and subscribers have the capacity to employ analog F3E emission. This appears to have been provided to ease cutover, and when employed the analog function occupies the entirety of the 12.5 KHz FM RF channel. When used in data mode, MotoTRBO can be used to convey both digital voice and data, and the aspiration of the MotoTRBO “System Planner” is clearly that a MotoTRBO system would be used and useable for data functions such as AVL, POS, inventory control and who knows what else. I seem to recall that the data functions were limited to Slot B, and, as above, when they were using Slot B, no one else could use it (either for data or voice).

When used in digital mode, MotoTRBO makes no provision for “direct” (i.e., short range simplex communications, such as on the fireground), and for that reason its application in the fire service seems to conflict with NFPA 1221. The 1221 admonition against using digital voice on the fireground grew out of the experience of FDNY (and others, I believe), and may prove to be limited to Astro 25-based systems. However, the lack of access to “direct” ability, either for technical reasons or as the result of system planning, has cost the lives of firefighters and is something I would never recommend.

So, how does MotoTRBO work in the field? As with all radio systems, this depends hugely on the competence of system design, which is why I guffawed a tad at the OP’s solicitation of “in the box” quotes for equipment, sort of like buying a stereo system. In the tests we ran, a MotoTRBO “repeater” was hooked to a competent (albeit single site) antenna system located at a premier radio high site in the greater Boston area. We found area coverage was pretty good, particularly with the mobile radios (out to more than 20 miles with 99% DAQ voice). The sound of the digital voice (given an adequate signal) was excellent, much better than that of IMBE voice. Subscriber units were, however, a bit complicated for people (including some radio savvy people) to use, more like cellular telephones than two-way radios. And there was a distinct delay between key press and talk permit tone.

My opinion at the time (and I have no basis for changing it now, though I do acknowledge that some particulars may have changed) is that MotoTRBO was intended for a commercial or industrial application, covering a relatively compact and well-defined campus, trading a multiplicity of logical channels for some cumbersomeness in system programming and user interface. In such an application, and given competent system design, I thought (and think) MotoTRBO can perform quite well. I did not (and do not) believe that MotoTRBO was intended to be used in a public safety application – where you must be able to get through right now, where training has to conform to all of the other demands on the users, and where we radio guys have to remember that the radio is not a piece of artwork to be ogled and drooled over, but just a tool that, unless it makes the user’s job easier and safer, is useless.

End of diatribe; sorry for taking so much of your time.

RKG

You mentioned access to time to the repeater. I've found it to be faster than some LTR trunking systems. It's extremely fast. I'm wondering if that was improved upon over the last several years. There have been many firmware/software updates, adding functionality as well as fixing 'bugs' and just improving things overall.

MotoTRBO is (or was) an unsupervised (or "self-supervised") TDM system. Synchronization to frame the time slots is provided by a sync bit issued by the MotoTRBO repeater during an exchange and, by programming, continuing after an exchange for a short period of time (to accommodate immediate replies). My estimate at the time was that delayed key-up requests occurred after the sync dwell timer had expired, and the subscriber had to wait for the repeater to detect and respond to the need for a fresh sync.

In theory, the repeater could be programmed to issue the post-comms sync for a long dwell, or maybe forever, but that presents its own issues on a shared channel.

Baylink

Premium Subscriber
> Oh, one other interesting update: transmit interrupt. With the next firmware/software release, MOTOTRBO will support transmit interrupt on single-repeater systems, IP Siteconnect systems (multiple site, single repeaters), and Capacity Plus trunking systems. This allows a transmission on the system to be 'interrupted' by someone else, in an emergency situation.

To clarify: I assume the first talker will not be told he's been interrupted? The system is half-duplex on the RF air interface, right?

JRayfield

Yes, the sync for the times slots do come from the repeater and yes, there is a programmable time during which access time from a subscriber is faster. In CPS programming, there are several programmable time periods, and at least one of those is what I think you're referring to. But, even for the first access, the time required for initial sync is very fast. I don't have the exact numbers, but I'm sure that I can find that. And now that you've brought it up, I'm extremely curious to find out what that time period is.

Actually, as I think about this, I just realized that the worst-case access time that I've seen on a MOTOTRBO system is at least as faster, and if not faster, than the typical access time on a Smartnet system.

MotoTRBO is (or was) an unsupervised (or "self-supervised") TDM system. Synchronization to frame the time slots is provided by a sync bit issued by the MotoTRBO repeater during an exchange and, by programming, continuing after an exchange for a short period of time (to accommodate immediate replies). My estimate at the time was that delayed key-up requests occurred after the sync dwell timer had expired, and the subscriber had to wait for the repeater to detect and respond to the need for a fresh sync.

In theory, the repeater could be programmed to issue the post-comms sync for a long dwell, or maybe forever, but that presents its own issues on a shared channel.

JRayfield

The systems that I've been working with are all IP Siteconnect systems (multisite with roaming between sites) and the transmit interrupt capability for these systems just became available today. So I have not had time to try this feature on a 'live' system yet, but I believe the 'interrupted' user receives an indication that his/her radio is not accessing the system. I'll be updating my own system tomorrow and so will have what I need to 'play' with the new capabilities just released today.

The system is half duplex. But because it's TDMA, it can, in effect, operate as if it's full duplex, since there are two 'virtual channels' on the same RF signal. This is similar to some cellular technology - full duplex without a duplexer.

> Oh, one other interesting update: transmit interrupt. With the next firmware/software release, MOTOTRBO will support transmit interrupt on single-repeater systems, IP Siteconnect systems (multiple site, single repeaters), and Capacity Plus trunking systems. This allows a transmission on the system to be 'interrupted' by someone else, in an emergency situation.

To clarify: I assume the first talker will not be told he's been interrupted? The system is half-duplex on the RF air interface, right?

knowmototrbo

I've played with the feature quite a bit. If you get interrupted, one of two things will happen depending on your settings :
1) if you have tones enabled, you will get the Channel Busy tone played to you while you are still holding the key down and when you release you will hear the transmission and see your display updated with the new transmitter's info (if you have a display portable)
2) If you don't have tones enabled, you will just hear the transmission coming out of your radio and the display will be updated with the new transmitter's info, regardless of if you have the key down or not.

TX Interrupt will be released to Capacity Plus and IPSC modes in firmware release 1.07, suppose to be end of November 2010.

JRayfield

Thanks for the description of Transmit Interrupt. Sounds good.

Version 1.07 is out - it was released on Friday (day before yesterday).

Baylink

Premium Subscriber
I've played with the feature quite a bit. If you get interrupted, one of two things will happen depending on your settings :
1) if you have tones enabled, you will get the Channel Busy tone played to you while you are still holding the key down and when you release you will hear the transmission and see your display updated with the new transmitter's info (if you have a display portable)
2) If you don't have tones enabled, you will just hear the transmission coming out of your radio and the display will be updated with the new transmitter's info, regardless of if you have the key down or not.

So how, exactly, do they implement that?

Are the handhelds actually full duplex? Do they have a spare receiver deck dedicated to listening to the system's control channel? Those are the only 2 solutions I can figure, and both of them make the handheld half an order of magnitude more complex -- and therefore, you'd expect, *more* expensive; I gather Trbo's selling point to be that it's cheaper...

RKG

So how, exactly, do they implement that?

Are the handhelds actually full duplex? Do they have a spare receiver deck dedicated to listening to the system's control channel? Those are the only 2 solutions I can figure, and both of them make the handheld half an order of magnitude more complex -- and therefore, you'd expect, *more* expensive; I gather Trbo's selling point to be that it's cheaper...

MotoTRBO has no "control channel" (in the sense that SmartNet uses a control channel). I suspect the interrupt data is part of the outbound data overhead on the voice channels. (Similar to the way SmartNet II handles "priority monitor.")

JRayfield

Yes, sending data to a subscriber on the 'voice' time slot would work, since the subscriber is only transmitting 50% of the time.

They could also be sending data to a transmitting subscriber, on the other time slot. With two time slots on the same RF frequency, this can be used to create a form of full duplex.

By the way, there is a control channel on the new Connect Plus trunking system, just like with SmartNet and P25 trunking.

Baylink

Premium Subscriber
MotoTRBO has no "control channel" (in the sense that SmartNet uses a control channel). I suspect the interrupt data is part of the outbound data overhead on the voice channels. (Similar to the way SmartNet II handles "priority monitor.")

That's right, I knew that.

So the RF deck in those radios is fast enough that it can come up into *usable, locked-data* receive *in between every TDMA transmit slot*? Really? Wow; I wouldn't have expected that; clearly, RF has advanced a lot while I wasn't looking. :)

RayAir

Your experiences with MOTOTRBO are NOT the 'normal'. I've spoken with many users of MOTOTRBO (public safety users) and they've been extremely well pleased. And if you lost all of your communications for 4 hours and the service techs couldn't find the reason, then I suggest that you find another service shop.

As to your 'accusation' that the Case Studies were written by me, that is totally untrue. The case studies are written by freelance writers, who interview the dealers AND the end users. Where in the world that you get the idea that the Case Studies were written by me, I have no idea. You obviously haven't read any of the Case Studies that Motorola puts out.

I suggest that you stop making accusations that aren't true.

Sounds like someone has a vested interest in MotoTerrible (TRBO).

Digital isn't better.

JRayfield

From a technical standpoint, it can easily be proven that MOTOTRBO digital is 'better', in many ways and for many applications, than analog. If you have -facts- that prove otherwise, I would very much like for you to share them with us.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

Sounds like someone has a vested interest in MotoTerrible (TRBO).

Digital isn't better.

Status
Not open for further replies.