• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

I Need Advice for Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hello.

I just got a jeep commander and am going to install some radios for communication purposes. I just need some advice on which radios are the best for this kind of project. My bidget is $10,000

n8emr

hmm, troll or not? Ill bite.

Why the heck do you need $10K worth of radio's. I assume you have some idea as to who and why you need to communicate with? If not then spend a couple of grand on an consultant (me maybe) and we can figure out what your trying to do.

SCPD

QRT
10 Grand is not only the radios, but installation, and lights. Any advice on which brand or models to look for?

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
hmm, troll or not? Ill bite.

Why the heck do you need $10K worth of radio's. I assume you have some idea as to who and why you need to communicate with? If not then spend a couple of grand on an consultant (me maybe) and we can figure out what your trying to do.

Well you know he sold the Ford Focus to have more room for radios and woo woos

whacker-1.gif
whacker-1.gif
whacker-1.gif
whacker-1.gif

strobe2.gif
strobe2.gif
strobe2.gif
strobe2.gif

KC0QNB

For ten grand I would go with Motorolas, a computer and software to program them. good antennas and a professional install, with all the "extras".
Oh forgot a custom console, since Gamber Johnson doesn't make one "yet"

Last edited:

Astro25

You can often find new Fed Sig Signal Master arrowsticks for sub-$200 on eBay every now and then.
Got 10k for radios?

3 XTL5000s 1V, 1U, 1 700/800 and add a BCD996T for scanning purposes. A 900 MCS if you need that, too... and a LB CDM1250.

n8emr

I look at what I would get if I had ten grand.
Icom 7000 (maybe stick with a706) $1000-$1500
Screwdriver antenna, auto tuners, mounts. $1000
Icom ic2820 with Dstar option and dual aband antenna $1000
ICOM IC-ID1 1.2ghz Dstar $1000
Alinco 235(220mhz)/antenna $300
Kenwood tk-790/890 dual deck dual band commercial radio/antenna $500
Kenwood Tk-981 900mhz mobile/modded for ham $300
Digital/p25 trunking scanner and remote head/antenna $1000
Fleet audio/mic management system and headset $400
custom overhead console/cables/2nd battery HD alternator
all professionally installed to my specs $1500

All that and I still only over 2 grand left.

OOPs almost forgot, I need a CB also, $100

Last edited:

Viking1

the economy is tanking and this guy is gonna blow $10k on a radio setup? If your gonna just waste your money at least develop a coke habit or something respectable.....

Status
Not open for further replies.