I need help with CTCSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadiationX

I bought a pro99 scanner and there is a feature that has a CTCSS tone code deal i know how to use it but what is it, what dose it do, ive looked all over for info about what is dose but nothing clear, can some one please explain to me in english what it is????

Astrak

CTCSS is a subaudible tone sent with voice transmissions so that radio's on that frequency listening for that tone will only Recieve when that tone is received, so if someone who is not in your "group" is transmitting on the same frequency you are on but does not use the same CTCSS tone you will not hear that transmission. That is the basic idea of CTCSS.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Actually, the term 'PL' (Private Line) is a Motorola name - GE users, a long time ago, used to refer to this as 'Channel Guard', and there are other terms for describing the same thing.. Hobby folks pretty much adopted the PL usage because, to be honest, it's a heckuva lot easier than saying CTCSS :.>> 73s Mike

nashscan

A few years ago, before I knew about CTCSS or PL tones, I was monitoring my local PD, when I heard some kids trasmitting stuff on the frequency saying "SATAN LOVES YOU". The PD never replied back. I thought the PD had a policy of just ignoring signal jammers, but now I realize they didn't even hear the kids, because of PL tones!

Al42

Unless they did hear them (because the kids "found" a PD radio, or programmed their own radio with PL), but had a policy of ignoring them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.