SDS100/SDS200: I need help with my sds100 ASAP

brandonsd1234

My sds100 works fine all last week but out of nowhere today my departments talking because it keeps popping on my screen but nothing came out of speaker dose everyone have that issue happen to you I did try to figure out the answer but I don't know where I look for answer please help me

belvdr

No longer interested in living
I seem to recall an issue with a failing headphone jack causing this. I second @jtwalker's recommendation to plug in an external speaker or headphones.

tvengr

Well Known Member
My sds100 works fine all last week but out of nowhere today my departments talking because it keeps popping on my screen but nothing came out of speaker dose everyone have that issue happen to you I did try to figure out the answer but I don't know where I look for answer please help me
If using favorites lists, I would program the scanner again. When you Write to Scanner, highlight the box to Erase Favorites Lists on Scanner so that you start from scratch. It sounds like you may have changed something in the scanner.

LarryVavrek

Agree sound like encryption too. Try monitoring garbage trucks, maintenance guys. If you hear them then it’s encryption. That’s the way the hobby is heading.

brandonsd1234

I have figured out the issue of why I cannot hear anything on my scanner the answer is speaker went bad I don't know how I never knew speaker could go bad but I just use my earphones to see if it works but sadly it doesn't and I don't know how and why the speaker go bad but I wish the company tell us about the speaker but now I have to buy new one same one again

wtp

put the plug in and out a couple of times with the NOAA weather channel on and squelch all the way down.
and also think about using computer speakers if the speaker is bad.
and then it is a new base.

W5ATX

Premium Subscriber
put the plug in and out a couple of times with the NOAA weather channel on and squelch all the way down.
and also think about using computer speakers if the speaker is bad.
and then it is a new base.
^^^ this.

I was just going to say the same, scan some frequencies in the 162.xxx range that you know are broadcasting analog audio and plug in some headphones, then unplug them and see if the speaker comes alive, even for a brief second. repeat a few times and even try leaving the headphones plugged in the unit overnight. If the headphones jack is faulty as described above, the radio will think that there is a pair of headphones plugged into it all the time, so it will mute the internal speaker. after all is said and done, if the internal speaker still doesnt work there's a chance it was damaged somehow. never heard of one just failing, usually they will sound distorted first due to moisture, foreign objects on the cone, etc. or even worse, an object thru cone which breaks one or both of the tiny voice coil wires. maybe it suffered some unknown damage? worse case scenario, if it's out of warranty i think it's still a $90 flat-rate repair. so if you have any other issues with it, i.e. swollen battery, faded display, or reduced sensitivity related to a cold solder joint then it could be a worthy time to send her in. just my .04 cents (inflation lol).