I need to have my BC396D scanner reprogrammed. Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0MTY

Premium Subscriber
I'm getting old, y'all. I know I'm getting old because I can't figure out my BC396D scanner. Somehow I don't quite get it. I sent it in to someplace way back when I got it, and they programmed it for me. Since then, I was away on business, and the fella I loaned the scanner to messed it up some. I got home and found some stuff changed, so I bought a cable that's supposed to connect it to my PC. It fails to recognize the cable, so I can't mess with it myself. I'd rather just pay someone to set it up again.

Not finding any place that'll re-program it for me. It's got the APCO P25 card in it, needed for my location in Saint Paul MN and Ramsey County. If you know of someplace that can do that I'd be grateful for the assist. I don't have anyone or anyplace to ask, and I'm hoping this site's full of folks that can help.

I'll check here often, your kind advice is appreciated.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Not finding any place that'll re-program it for me.
Welcome to Radio Reference.

First of all, you'll need to determine the exact model of scanner that you have. Uniden did not make a model called "BC396D". The numbers would most likely indicate it's a hand held unit, and would probably be either a "BCD396T" or a "BCD396XT" (look at the ID tag under the batteries in the battery compartment). That being said, neither of those models required, or even had the capability of having a "APCO P25 card" (or any other kind of a card) put in them.

Scanner Master will do scanner programming, their ad is at the top of most every page here on RR. You can program your scanner by hand since you don't have a working cable, or you could also purchase the correct programming cable (the Uniden USB-1 cable) and you would also need to purchase programming software (or use the free 30 day trials) such as Proscan on your PC. There would be a pretty involved learning curve to do it yourself either way if you've never done it before. There are many online sources for help on programming your scanner. Should you want to give it a try, let us know and we can give you some good links to get you started. If you'd rather have Scanner Master do it, it would require shipping the scanner to them and paying the shipping costs both ways.

However, it's also possible that your scanner may no longer be compatible with the radio systems in your area if they have done any upgrades lately... such as Phase 2, DMR, NXDN, Simulcast, or even encryption (which no scanner can receive). The technology in your scanner is on the order of 13 - 17 years old now. Once you have identified exactly which model of scanner that you have, perhaps someone familiar with the current radio systems in your area area will chime in and advise if it's worth the expense, or even possible to get your scanner going again.

If your scanner is still usable for the systems in your area that you want to listen to, and if someone in that area is still using the same scanner that you have, they could email you a working programming file... but that would still require that you have a working programming cable and the same programming software that they are using.

If you could possibly contact someone in your area using the same scanner as yours, and they would be willing to meet in person, they could load their programming directly into your scanner.

Let us know, and good luck!

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Older USB cables are not compatible with Windows 10. In fact, many of the older USB to serial adapters aren't compatible. I had to get a newer USB to serial adapter to use with the cable that came with the radio to get ProScan to talk to my BCT15, 996T, 996XT, 396T and 396XT. This might be the answer to get the computer to talk to your radio.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the forums, OP. Seeing that you're a RR premium subscriber & once you get the issue sorted out with your cable I'd recommend using Proscan to program the scanner via its RR database import function (Yes the BC296D is supported). I always encourage folks to learn to program radios themselves rather than relying on the "kindness of a stranger" in the event something goes wrong you can easily make the correction(s) without having to send it back out to someone

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
First of all, you'll need to determine the exact model of scanner that you have. Uniden did not make a model called "BC396D". The numbers would most likely indicate it's a hand held unit, and would probably be either a "BCD396T" or a "BCD396XT"
i will guess bc296d.
Being that the OP mentioned a digital card, I also suspect it is a BC296D handheld or BC796D base/mobile. If a BC296D, there are cables advertised that do not fit that scanner. It has a special plug that is different from the rest of the Uniden scanners.

From Citywide173:
I had to get a newer USB to serial adapter to use with the cable that came with the radio to get ProScan to talk to my BCT15, 996T, 996XT, 396T and 396XT

The cable for the above scanners does not fit the BC296D.

Last edited:
Reactions: wtp

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
The above is is correct. It is not compatible with any other Uniden cable connectors (or common 3rd party connectors/adaptors). If the OP does indeed have a BC296D scanner, he may be out of luck as far as getting the proper cable. Joe Bearcat mentioned this in a thread about that cable earlier this year:

Yes, a 296 cable is going to be very hard to find these days.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I had to get a newer USB to serial adapter to use with the cable that came with the radio to get ProScan to talk to my BCT15, 996T, 996XT, 396T and 396XT
If the OP does indeed have a BC296D scanner, he may be out of luck as far as getting the proper cable.
I am fortunate to have a BC296D cable left over from programming a news department scanner many years ago. I know for certain that the plug does not fit the other Uniden scanners. Butel ARC250 software can also be used to program the BC296D and BC796D scanners. Being as rare as it is, I am going to hold on to that cable just in case I need it again in the future.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As I understand it, ARC250 may not be Win10 compatible and hasn't been updated in a long time. Best to stick with ProScan

Mike

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Being that the OP mentioned a digital card, I also suspect it is a BC296D handheld or BC796D base/mobile. If a BC296D, there are cables advertised that do not fit that scanner. It has a special plug that is different from the rest of the Uniden scanners.

From Citywide173:

I didn't read the second paragraph or I would have come to the 296 conclusion as well. My post was based on his statement of a 396 series and is still accurate and good information for people with those radios that have old USB cables.

wtp

1649299327357.png

that does not look like a regular USB plug, i looked at many of them tonight.
arkmood's cable is probably NOT right for the 296.
the real one is an odd 4 pin connector.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Good happy to be proven wrong...Mike
USB-to-serial converters for the BC296D/BC250D were always a hit-or-miss...
Mike, you are probably thinking about ARC780. It doesn't work on Windows 10. The BC780XLT is not listed on the new Butel website.

Arkmood, this USB to serial converter works great with my BC796D's. Insignia™ 1.3' USB-to-RS-232 (DB9) PDA/Serial Adapter Cable Black NS-PU99501 - Best Buy You will still need to use the BC296D RS232 serial cable with the DB9 connector in conjunction with this adapter for programming the BC296D.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
View attachment 119344

that does not look like a regular USB plug, i looked at many of them tonight.
arkmood's cable is probably NOT right for the 296.
the real one is an odd 4 pin connector.

Great find. I will add this to the wiki for these 3 radios if someone gets this cable and confirms it works in conjunction with a USB converter. This question is liable to show up again

Mike

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
I dont know, but I think we successfully have confused the OP and us a lot and may not be as helpful ?

Last edited:
Reactions: wtp
Status
Not open for further replies.