I Need To Know A Pro Viewpoint On The Uniden HomePatrol Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aries415

I am contemplating buying the Uniden Homepatrol Scanner. I am awarte that by usage of a zip-code, frequencies for that city will come up.. However; my question to anyone that knows is "if" this unit can be programmed with individual feeds like federal-frequencies; DEA, FBI, ect.from a computer? Is this unit worth it's price..

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am contemplating buying the Uniden Homepatrol Scanner. I am awarte that by usage of a zip-code, frequencies for that city will come up.. However; my question to anyone that knows is "if" this unit can be programmed with individual feeds like federal-frequencies; DEA, FBI, ect.from a computer? Is this unit worth it's price..
If, instead of "individual feeds", what you really mean is individual frequencies, yes, you can add your own frequencies via the software that comes with the Home Patrol (Sentinel). I've added a section of local Fed frequencies to mine, plus some that I suspect may, or could become, active.

In my case, the unit receives all the local systems as well as either my PSR-500 or BCD396XT, and was worth the investment to me. I'm sure you'll find some that agree, as well as others that disagree, with that comment. You would want to go to a better antenna than the stock, but other than that, the scanner comes with everything else you need (batteries, ac & dc adapters, usb pc interface cable). I did get a GPS, and found that worked well on a mid-range road trip.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I've done presentations for federal agencies as well as the radio communications tech group for a large statewide agency. The presentations were primarily on BCD996XT and BCD396XT, but I carried an HP-1 in just as an aside. In every case, the "aside" derailed my main presentation for 10-15 minutes and resulted in folks going out and buying one the next day (in one case driving from Tampa to Miami to do so). That said (and agreeing that the one example you provide is quite doable), you should base anypurchase on your own needs/interests. Plenty of details about what its capabilities are at both http://info.uniden.com/HomePatrol and in the dedicated community forums at HomePatrol.

pushnsteel

I can do you one step better. I'm with a governmental agency, working in communications, an use a HomePatrol in part of my work. Can tell you that this is the simpliest in programing that I have seen yet. Not only can you enter frequencies direct into unit, but if you know enough about the system you are entering and is not in the present database (non-public system) you can enter into Sentinel or ARC system to include EDACS, Motorola and P25. I've had to program alot of scanners in my day and this is the easiest I've ever seen (feel like a salesman).

Status
Not open for further replies.