I really screwed up...am I SOL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peculiar1

I'll get right to the issue...My Radio Shack Pro 96 was submerged in water for 20 min...I got it out took it apart blew it all dry...Now it will not scan or receive...

I can hook up to computer and upload to scanner...all the freq's show up, sound still works I can hear the beeps.....

Any suggestions on what got fried ? Can I fix it? Or do I need to send it in for repair..if it can even be repaired?

Everything seems to work but scan and receive...

Michael-SATX

So how much time went by from the time it got wet until the time you took it apart and dried it ?
If that happened to my Pro-96, I would pull the batteries ASAP, open it up and dry it our the best I can
with compressed air, then leave it appart for a week easy to make darn sure it's completely dry !!!
Then re-assemble it and do a quick test and if a no RX/Scan, those batteries would STAY OUT
for weeks .... while I happily use my Pro-106 :)) Parts of the circuits take time to completely dry out !!!

BTW ~ Sail by your local RS and have them print you out a replacement parts list just for grins :)
Have the RS person go to RSU parts lQQkup and key in your Pro-96 catalog number 200-0526
You will probably be shocked at all how expensive the main logic boards can cost !
Again, consider sending it in for repair only AFTER it still doesn't work after a few weeks !!!

Good luck, and remember, an RS repair estimate of $20 is probably a GREat deal considering the $$$
Speaking of dollars, have your local RS perform a simple "Product Availibility" District and Region wide
for a Pro-96 because you just might get lucky and find a new one on clearance for $200.97, heck just
2 of the main logic boards are something like $250 ish and $219 ish +/-. Even cQQler would
be if RS could find you a very deep clearenced Pro-2096 ( 200-0496 ) at some store still for ONLY $29.97 ...
I know I have lQQked in my RS region and they are all snapped up - imagine that :))

PS ~ Tell me that you did try to insert a paper clip in the little hole above the AC-Adaper plug
side of the scanner right next to the rubber hand grip to see if by some miracle a reset will work ?

Last edited:
DRYING TIME IS CRUCIAL!

ive dropped cellphones,pagers in toilets,into pools..

dry that sucker out ,,solid state is pretty durable,,
just keep the batts away,,sending juice through that
thing will cause any wet areas to short,,

good luck,,,

on a lighter note,,the silver lining,,

you may see a 106,,or a psr500 in you future...

oh,,

N Keep yer radio Away from the water,,,treat that sucker like a
gremlin,,..no water,,and Dont feed it after midnight!

Peculiar1

Oh man...I went to bed bummed,depressed..and kicking myself in the arse...However before that I heated my toaster oven up to 150 let it cool a bit then stuck the radio in a couple cycles..the last cycle was left in overnight.(off of course)....HAPPY DAYS are here again...woke up this morn turned it on and it is working perfect. To the above Question it was only out of the water for 1min before I had the batteries out disassembled and started to dry with compressed air...Thanks for all your concern and suggestions..and yes I was already looking for another one..LOL!

bootsfirst

Database Admin
Sticking wet electronics in a big bowl of rice works amazingly well, too. Just a tip for the future...

cg

Premium Subscriber
The most important thing is to disconnect the power as soon as you can. Not just shut it off but remove all power. Then open the case as much as you can to allow the water to evaporate.
Usually you can turn an oven on "Warm" with the door ajar and the temp will be around 100-130F. Use an oven thermometer and do not allow to go over 140F (that is the high end of operating range for Uniden scanners. It is great for the odd electronics that go swimming in fresh water.
If it is dirty water or salt water, you can wash it out with clear water and then dry it.
You always risk complete and total distruction of the device but unless you have some full coverage no-fault warrenty, it is usually the lesser of two evils.

chris

Peculiar1

Thanks again for the advice...My reply # 4 shows that I did the oven trick...I been listening all morning :))

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
A word of warning, don't EVER do that again! You got lucky this time but one little slip can leave your electronics looking like a grilled cheese sandwich. If you're in a hurry to dry something a hair dryer with the heat off positioned to blow cool air through it for an hour or so should do the trick.
"I got it out took it apart blew it all dry."
You were in too big a hurry, obviously it wasn't all dry. The hair dryer can sit there all day just to make sure, it really doesn't care how long it takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.