I see that when you shut the scanner off it says "saving/writing to the sd card".

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawman210

I see that when you shut the scanner off it says "saving/writing to the sd card".

What happens when you have your scanner wired to a power outlet in your vehicle and you just shut your vehicle off which kills the power to the unit immediately?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

RF23

Premium Subscriber
What happens when you have your scanner wired to a power outlet in your vehicle and you just shut your vehicle off which kills the power to the unit immediately?

You would probably lose the data and or get a corrupt SD card if it happened very often.

Maybe the 536 has some capacitor or something to let it finish writing because in the 436 if you do not have good batteries in it (on AC or not) it will refuse to use any function that will need to write to the SD card to prevent possible SD card corruption.

Last edited:
This has been already covered.

It does not damaged it.
You will lose resent changes .. like qk you open. Say you turn on .1 then turn off the car and back on .1 will be off.

Now let's say you turn on .1 and turn off the power knob it saves it and will be on the next time it comes on.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
This has been already covered.

It does not damaged it.
You will lose resent changes .. like qk you open. Say you turn on .1 then turn off the car and back on .1 will be off.

Now let's say you turn on .1 and turn off the power knob it saves it and will be on the next time it comes on.

Now that you mention it I do remember that tread and it did infer that you could start the vehicle with the radio(s) on but I do not remember it saying you should turn the radio(s) off during a card write operation. With that said I doubt if the wrecker drivers will pay any attention to "is the SD card being written to?" before shutting off the engine / power. If they do and it causes a power loss during a card write I am pretty sure it will eventually lead to a corrupt SD card. However, I think it can be wired in a way to avoid this and hopefully the professional installer is aware of the difference between a 996XT and a 536HP and will inform the wrecker drivers of any new procedures needed for turning off the radios or wire it in a way to prevent this from happening.

Therefore, I wonder why the 436 has this problem and the 536 apparently does not?

Indeed, I have 8 different electronic devices that use an SD card or a memory card like an SD card and ALL warn you NOT to disconnect the power during a card write.

Hopefully UPMan will be able to tell us the "Best Practices" on turning off the x36HP radios.

dkf435

This problem or quirk with EEPROM or Memory Card radios dropping data with power transients started with the AR8000,AR5000 EEPROM structure in the early 90s so this is not a new problem just one that is reaching more people.

Best practices is to turn radio off with power switch before starting or cutting power supply that will make a voltage transient.

In my Jeep Commander have ganged 3 50AH gell cells coupled to main battery and charging system through a Sure Power smart relay for the radios installed and never have a problem as they all float off their own powerbank..

David Kb7uns

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
You should never turn the power off to ANYTHING when saving.... This is basic electronics 101

Nobody is disputing that. The issue is when a wrecker who has 6 of these installed in his rig is about to shut down his truck after a long night of hauling and has to remember to shut off each scanner with the switch before he turns the key. Not sure if you're going to get that level of discipline from truckers, they're probably tired and it may be late at night/early in the AM. But I know from another thread (cdcomm?) has that issue and I believe he addressed the fix privately with UPMan.

Yes that's how I have my install. Everything I put in is on relays to kill power when the vehicle ignition is turned off.

For things that need more ampers use a continuous solenoid

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Yes that's how I have my install. Everything I put in is on relays to kill power when the vehicle ignition is turned off.

For things that need more ampers use a continuous solenoid

OK, thanks. I just wanted to check to see if you actually did this on a 536HP or if you were just speaking to what should theoretically happen.

lawman210

I have a control box that has 6 power switches with 10 amp fuses which are connected to a 40 amp relay. I can just hook the power to the vehicle accessory box and it will address the problem? When turning on and off the ignition that gives the units times to write or do you need to pause for a few seconds? Once the units power up on accessory cranking the engine doesn't cause a Power fluctuation that could damage the card or scanner? Lastly i guess you will need a fairly new battery when cranking the engine if you have several units installed and powered on?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
The following won't necessarily help avoid corruption of an SD card - IMO the radio would need an "ignition sense" wire, on which loss of voltage would tell the radio to initiate the shutdown procedure. The radio needs to be told to "start shutting down" - doesn't matter when you cut the power from it if you don't let it know it's gonna happen first.

But for those who don't want their radio to shut off with the ignition key, consider one of these:

BlackVue - Full HD 1080p Dash Cameras with GPS

APO3: Automatic Power Off 3 - APRS World, LLC

The Blackvue one has a 12V socket on it, and the APRSWorld one is bare wire. You wire them between your battery (or a fuse block) and the device you want to run, and it runs independent of your ignition. After it senses voltage dropping below a predetermined level, it shuts off power to the device after x number of minutes. I had the APRS one in my car when I had my ham rig in it, and it was set to 12.00V and 10 minutes, meaning when the voltage dropped under 12 (typically as soon as I shut off the ignition), the radio would shut off 10 minutes later.

lawman210

Ok cool so I hook this in between my control box and the battery/power wire and I am good? I would have a gps, cb, 2 scanners, cellphone cable.
How does this box let the scanners know to save to sd card when the box is ready to remove power?

I know I understand why people are so worried about turning the power of these. As long as you have it hooked up to an accessory wire it will be good

lawman210

Re: I see that when you shut the scanner off it says "saving/writing to the sd card".

It doesn't.

So the box doesn't do anything for you. If it only delays the shutdown by xx minutes. It would be as if the ignition was turned off with the driver only xx mins later

lawman210

Re: I see that when you shut the scanner off it says "saving/writing to the sd card".

I know I understand why people are so worried about turning the power of these. As long as you have it hooked up to an accessory wire it will be good

I don't understand why it would be good. Accessory wire still kills power when you flip it off. Let's say you have your 536 at the house plugged into ac. Reach over and unplug the wire from the wall. Does the 536 have a capacitor installed that allows the card to be written to? If not then yanking power may only not save any changes made but if for some reason it stated to write to Ur card as u were pulling power Ur card can be corrupted.

Status
Not open for further replies.