I-TAC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymatt1978

I hear ITAC1 (851.5125) regularly here in Cape May and I think it's Delaware but I'm not sure I know the state moved to 700MHz so I'm a bit confused

ecps92

ITAC1 for naming was retired years ago.

Now known as 8TAC91
https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/f...operability Field Operations Guide v1 6 1.pdf

Just because agencies may have moved to a different band, does not preclude them from keeping Interops Avail.
Many areas, use Tri-Stacks where V/U/8 are patched together at the one site.

Usually VTAC11 / UTAC41 / 8TAC91 [paired by the last digit, so 12 / 42 / 82, 13 / 43 / 83 etc]

I hear ITAC1 (851.5125) regularly here in Cape May and I think it's Delaware but I'm not sure I know the state moved to 700MHz so I'm a bit confused

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Just to clarify, it was more than the name that was retired, it was the frequency itself. ICALL/TAC referred to the pre-rebanding frequencies in the 866-868 MHz range. 8CALL/TAC were created by subtracting 15 MHz from the existing frequencies, but they co-existed as the long drawn out 800 MHz reconfiguration (aka rebanding) took place.

And you're right, many agencies try to program as many nationwide interop channels into their radios as possible, on as many bands as they have access to. All major manufacturers consider 700 and 800 MHz to be a single band for the purposes of building an RF deck, and so it's not uncommon to find both 7CALL/TAC and 8CALL/TAC frequencies in the same radio. In fact, many states have been just about harassing local agencies to program every nationwide interop channel into their radios, and list it as a requirement to obtain grant money for radios.

ecps92

How true, and then the exceptions who had not Rebanded but changed the naming prematurely

Just to clarify, it was more than the name that was retired, it was the frequency itself. ICALL/TAC referred to the pre-rebanding frequencies in the 866-868 MHz range. 8CALL/TAC were created by subtracting 15 MHz from the existing frequencies, but they co-existed as the long drawn out 800 MHz reconfiguration (aka rebanding) took place.

And you're right, many agencies try to program as many nationwide interop channels into their radios as possible, on as many bands as they have access to. All major manufacturers consider 700 and 800 MHz to be a single band for the purposes of building an RF deck, and so it's not uncommon to find both 7CALL/TAC and 8CALL/TAC frequencies in the same radio. In fact, many states have been just about harassing local agencies to program every nationwide interop channel into their radios, and list it as a requirement to obtain grant money for radios.

de784

Feed Provider
Delaware system is still 800 mhz. I have I tac programmed in I live on the west side. I haven't heard anything. There was a rumor that the state was moving to 700mhz but no signs of it

ecps92

Some folks add 700 vs moving entirely to it, keep that in mind

Delaware system is still 800 mhz. I have I tac programmed in I live on the west side. I haven't heard anything. There was a rumor that the state was moving to 700mhz but no signs of it

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Some folks add 700 vs moving entirely to it, keep that in mind
Delaware has two systems, the 800 MHz Motorola 3600 SmartZone system, and the new 700 MHz P25 system. It's a pretty safe bet that they will not be adding 700 MHz frequencies to the old 3600 system. Whether they actually start to migrate users off of the 3600 system and onto the P25 system is another question entirely, as currently it appears only the Dept of Corrections have active talkgroups on the P25 system.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The 13 site 700 P25P1 system does not have the frequency capacity nor tower site density to support public safety day-to-day operations. It's basically a statewide "interoperability" overlay that can connect with MESIN on the MD Eastern Shore, and a similar system in Southern NJ. It also appears to have single sites that support several correctional facilities, and *can* serve as a limited backup to the 800 system. The state intends to do a "technology refresh" (my guess is P25P1) to the 800 system - they have allocated roughly $6M a year for the past few years, and for the next several years for radio equipment. Contrast these expenditures to Maryland, who will ultimately spend over $300M to build a new 170 site statewide P25P2 system, and AA and Montgomery Counties who are spending ~$50 - $100M respectively to upgrade their county systems from SmartZone to P25P2.

DisasterGuy

The DE 700MHz P25 system has been around for many years, was competitively bid and awarded / built by Harris as a statewide interoperability layer. As mentioned, the state uses it primarily for corrections. The state intends to migrate the Smartzone system to P25 (still many years out) as a sole source / contract amendment to Motorola. The full costs arent yet known publicly however no significant funding has yet been allocated. The majority of funding spent so far has been to attempt to upgrade subscribers (with limited numbers done so far) to allow interoperability with Maryland systems and prepare for P25.

There are no connections between the Delaware 700MHz P25 system and MESIN. MESIN itself was disbanded last year, being retained only in Worcester, Somerset and Ocean City with the IP portion migrated to the Worcester / Ocean Cory P25 system to support VHF/UHF/800 national interop repeaters. Interop repeaters are no longer available on the remained of Marylands Eastern Shore.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The MESIN connection was mentioned in a press release when the contract was first awarded to Harris (then TYCO) back in 2009. Things change though. The state's capital budget shows ~$50M being spent on equipment (without specifics) to upgrade the 800Mhz system to "P25 interoperability standards" between FY17 and FY24.

"Delaware Contracts Tyco for P25 Phase 2 Statewide Network (2/3/09)
Tuesday, February 03, 2009
The state of Delaware awarded Tyco Electronics Wireless Systems a contract to design and deploy a statewide radio communications system for agencies represented by the statewide interoperability executive council (SIEC). The statewide 700 MHz Project 25 (P25) Phase 2 multisite system [note that this system currently operates in Phase 1] will be built on Tyco’s Voice, Interoperability, Data, Access (VIDA) platform to link voice and data communications over an IP-based network. The value of the contract was not disclosed.

Delaware’s P25IP statewide radio network will make use of 10 existing sites [ plus 3 DOC sites ] across the state with four channels at each site and is based on P25 Phase 2 technology standards. The system will link agencies with Delaware’s legacy 800 MHz radio system to other local, state and federal agencies including the South East Counter Terrorism Task Force system in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, as well as Maryland’s Eastern Shore Network.

“When Delaware’s SIEC set out with the goal of designing a statewide wireless network, our challenge was to accomplish this entirely within the funds awarded through the Public Safety Interoperable Communications (PSIC) grant,” said Bob Pedersen, director of the division of communications within Delaware’s Department of Safety and Homeland Security. “This system, and our partnership with Tyco Electronics, provides agencies in Delaware with the tools we need to effectively communicate today, along with options to accomplish our future goals.”"

Attachments

• delaware radio refresh.PNG
    delaware radio refresh.PNG
    220.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.