SDS100/SDS200: I think I made a mistake!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fasteddy64

So I sold my 436 and bought the SDS-100, expecting to be wowed. didnt happen.
I miss the 436. I miss the audio from the speaker. I miss the faster scan rate. I miss the simple, easy to read display.
Newer and fancier is not always better. I wonder if I can make a deal to get the 436 back??

Ed
KG5UN
Abilene, TX

joekodak

Premium Subscriber
I saw in a Facebook post, SDS100 inventories are very low or sold out. May be same for 436's. If you can afford it, buy a 436 then offer the SDS100 for sale. Or, contact the guy you sold the 436 to and offer an even up swap.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Sorry to see you are having troubles I am running 2 SDS100's 2 325P2's and 1 436 in my car all setup the same sharing the same antenna and the SDS's hold their own beside the 325's and 436 I did play with the SDS's filters and that made them a lot better than they were out of the box. In my local area my SDS's have a little better range even on VHF and UHF compared to the 325's.

fasteddy64

I saw in a Facebook post, SDS100 inventories are very low or sold out. May be same for 436's. If you can afford it, buy a 436 then offer the SDS100 for sale. Or, contact the guy you sold the 436 to and offer an even up swap.
Nope, even swap is out of the question, the money isnt right on that deal.
I tried to buy my 436 back from the guy I sold it to but he is definitely not interested.
I guess I will learn to like it or keep looking for a deal.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I guess I will learn to like it or keep looking for a deal.
Definitely keep it. Though I'm not seeing any P25 simulcast systems in your area, if you take the SDS with you to an area that does have a simulcast system or two in place, the SDS can deal with simulcast distortion and track those systems much better than the 436HP

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Yup, I changed it to the white with black text and find that I like that much better
Did you also change to "Simple Conventional" and/or "Simple Trunk"? I think "Detailed" is the default.

As far as scan speed goes, what filter settings are you using? If "Auto" is used the scanner will try the various other settings, and this slows scan speed down quite a bit.

fasteddy64

Did you also change to "Simple Conventional" and/or "Simple Trunk"? I think "Detailed" is the default.

As far as scan speed goes, what filter settings are you using? If "Auto" is used the scanner will try the various other settings, and this slows scan speed down quite a bit.
I am using the simple display.
Are you talking about the Global Auto Filter? It is set to Normal

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Yes you can set the filter to AUTO but that slows scanning. You can set it to GLOBAL then go to each system and set Custom or Global.
Yes I know it is a PAIN but you set each system not just GLOBAL and the scanner will shine.

fasteddy64

Yes you can set the filter to AUTO but that slows scanning. You can set it to GLOBAL then go to each system and set Custom or Global.
Yes I know it is a PAIN but you set each system not just GLOBAL and the scanner will shine.
Every system??
Holy crap.
Seems pretty ridiculous to me.
Makes me want to sell it even more!
Thanks for the info.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I think it is great that I can custom tune each system to pick up the best and not have to have well that is as good as it gets we had to average it out. With out having custom filters for each system is like having a guitar with 1 string and no neck or frets.

fasteddy64

I think it is great that I can custom tune each system to pick up the best and not have to have well that is as good as it gets we had to average it out. With out having custom filters for each system is like having a guitar with 1 string and no neck or frets.
Fair enough.
Glad it works for you.
Mine will be going up for sale.

budevans

Filters are there if you have a specific reception problem. If you don't need a filter, turn it off.

FYI, I have both a 436 and the 100. Besides being better at handling Simulcast, I've found the SDS to be much faster at finding the LCN's for DMR.

fasteddy64

Filters are there if you have a specific reception problem. If you don't need a filter, turn it off.

FYI, I have both a 436 and the 100. Besides being better at handling Simulcast, I've found the SDS to be much faster at finding the LCN's for DMR.
But how do you find the scan speed between the two?
The SDS-100 seems dreadfully slow to me.

budevans

But how do you find the scan speed between the two?
The SDS-100 seems dreadfully slow to me.
Most of the radio traffic here in Cuyahoga County is on one of the three P25 trunk systems. So there's no scanning involved with those trunk systems. Regarding conventional analog, it's a dying breed. Most of that traffic, that I used to monitor has moved to DMR and NXDN.

So I can't give you a good answer regarding analog conventional scanning. I'm sure others can chime in regarding their experience with it.

Last edited:

djeplett

The scan rate of the SDS scanners can be a little decieving in that I don't think it has the time to update the display with every frequency and agency change sometimes. When I have either of my SDSs scanning the same things as one of my others they stop at almost the exact same time and channel every time. Squelch settings make a big difference also. I usually have mine on 2 but an even tighter setting will speed it up some.

fasteddy64

Most of the radio traffic here in Cuyahoga County is on one of the three P25 trunk systems. So there's no scanning involved with those trunk systems. Regarding conventional analog, it's a dying breed. Most of that traffic, that I used to monitor has moved to DMR and NXDN.

So I can't give you a good answer regarding analog conventional scanning. I'm sure others can chime in regarding their experience with it.
Ok, thanks.
No NXDN here.
One little bus company is on DMR
The city is on an old EDACS sytem.
Still a lot of VHF conventional and a little bit of VHF P25 here.
I probably just bought more scanner than I really need.

fasteddy64

The scan rate of the SDS scanners can be a little decieving in that I don't think it has the time to update the display with every frequency and agency change sometimes. When I have either of my SDSs scanning the same things as one of my others they stop at almost the exact same time and channel every time. Squelch settings make a big difference also. I usually have mine on 2 but an even tighter setting will speed it up some.
Its not just about the display, its having it side by side with other scanners, particularly my Pro-197, it is lightning fast compared to the SDS100.
Its just not the right scanner for my needs. I should have done more research before making the purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.