• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

I think I messed up

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmartinfan

Banned
I bought a MAC back in May, wow after looking back I think that was a mistake. Nothing but issues. Its slllllllllloooooow, three different printers do not work on it. Including the lastest one I plugged into it last night a SamSung ML-2010.

Total POS ! ! ! ! !

And the MAC snobs say PC's don't work.

NeFire242

You should have bought a PC anyways if for nothing else "Interop purposes"... most of the world runs a PC. =)

OpSec

Code 21, Status 7
Database Admin
mmartinfan said:
I bought a MAC back in May, wow after looking back I think that was a mistake. Nothing but issues. Its slllllllllloooooow, three different printers do not work on it. Including the lastest one I plugged into it last night a SamSung ML-2010.

Total POS ! ! ! ! !

And the MAC snobs say PC's don't work.

What kind of Mac? While I don't own a Mac, many co-workers and my better half all own Mac's of some kind and don't have any issues with printers, scanners, digital camera's etc.

BoxAlarm187

I purchased my new MacBook about four weeks ago, and absolutely love it. I got mine configured with a a 100gig hard drive and 1gig of RAM, so I don't have a lot of issues with speed. I've found that the printers and other perihpials that I have used with it have worked flawlessly.

I haven't loaded a Windoze emulator on the Mac yet, and don't plan on doing it. I've got a 3 year old Gateway PC that I can run the Windows-specific software (IE: scanner programming software!) on, and so far, it's working well for me.

I have no regrets in my MacBook purchase, FWIW.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Got a whole slew of Mac's here (including what I'm typing this message on) and I've had no problems.

That includes hooking up many different printers.

jellotor

Even the interoperability arguement may gradually go away now that Apple bought into the Intel chipset. I've had all sorts of Macs over the years...a IIcx, a Plus, a 6100/60 (with the 486 motherboard in the PDS slot!) and even a Umax clone...my friend has a garage full of old oatmeal coloured Apple cases...my mother is a graphic designer with a G3 and a G4.

I'm currently refurbishing an Avid Media Composer that runs in an 8100/100...and I wouldn't even call that slow! Amazing the kind of things that old Mac could do with only 100 MHz of processing power...and a motion JPEG card.

STiMULi

Unless you have a specific reason for owning one why would you want to pay more for hardware, repairs, software, wish that there was software out there that did this, that, and the other thing.

For Video and Audio editing it can only be beat by a farm of Linux machines (and greater) other wise of much of what I do requires Windows so I would have to MAKE the computer operate in other than it's native environment. Are there any scanner programs ported for MAC?

Is there such a thing and a MAC emulator? :) I haven't seen one but there is probably one out there somewhere

runslow

Premium Subscriber
I'm a satisfied and long time MAC owner and have not had any problems with printers, digital cameras, page scanners, etc. OS X is a rock solid operating system and has performed flawlessly for me. This link may prove to be helpful:

http://www.apple.com/support/

Lots of answers to a wide range of questions.

lgentle

I also have an older G3 iMac and love it! (when I have it plugged in). When I first bought it, it only had 128MB megs of memory. When I loaded the OS, it was SO SLOW!!! Once I added a 512MB (768MB total), IT FLEW!!!! It seems that the more physical memory you have, the better they run; unlike Windows. The more physical memory you have the bigger it can make it's pagefile!

As for an emulator. Now that Mac's use Intel CPU's and chipsets, Apple has a public beta of Windows Bootcamp which you can load Windows onto your Mac. I just received my new MacMall catalog and they are now selling Mac's that can be pre-loaded with Windows XP Home or Pro. You can also go the other way; load Mac OS onto an IBM clone. I loaded Mac OS X 10.4.5 onto my Dell GX260. It runs great with 1GB RAM! After I loaded it though, I did a Software Update and it crashed my NIC. X wouldn't finish loading after I did the Software Update, so I reloaded it and didn't do any updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.