i think i need a better antenna for a digital 800mhz scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRSpero

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9550/5.0.0.320 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I have a handheld bearcat 396t and have never had a problem with it but the fire department that I work for has just switched over to 800mhz digital and is about 30 miles away and I can only pick it up now on a good day standing outside. Is there an antenna that I can put on my house that will help me get that extra couple miles. Or even better is there something I can make that is cheaper to make it work. I have already bought the portable antenna for digital 800 but it isn't helping.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Welcome to Radioreference JR.

At 30 miles your most likely going to need a base antenna installed on the roof or in an attic to get a line of sight reception. RadioShack carries some omidirectional antennas such as a discone that will work or you could try your hand at a making home brew "J" pole hanging on a wall with mixed, but sometime good results when cut to the correct band.

Take a look at the Scanner Antenna Wiki: Scanner Antennas - The RadioReference Wiki

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I use the RShack small 25-1.3ghz groundplane outside and in the attic with 9913 lowloss coax and i am able to receive the ILL-Starcom Digital 700/800 towers that are about 25 miles away fine....Ron in Joliet...PS: Sells for about $25.00

Status
Not open for further replies.