I thought a TRX-1 would decode anything but maybe not?

VA3WEX

Premium Subscriber
Have a TRX-1 which I like very much.

But it doesn't seem to decode everything. Sometimes I get stuff that sounds like a busy signal, but I think that's for encrypted things (City, Law Enforcement).

But other times I hear things are that like loud bursts of white noise static. It's on frequencies listed here as being Business (i.e. some of the Dot frequencies), and so I doubt its encryption. I suspect that's some digital mode that the TRX-1 doesn't do.

I thought the TRX-1 did pretty much everything... So, what could that be?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber

But it doesn't seem to decode everything. Sometimes I get stuff that sounds like a busy signal, but I think that's for encrypted things (City, Law Enforcement).

But other times I hear things are that like loud bursts of white noise static. It's on frequencies listed here as being Business (i.e. some of the Dot frequencies), and so I doubt its encryption. I suspect that's some digital mode that the TRX-1 doesn't do.

It is doubtful the "white noise static" you say you hear is a digital mode, especially on the Dot channels. My TRX-1 does a very good job decoding P25, phase 1 and 2, NXDN and DMR, which, along with analog, are the primary modes it is designed to decode. Frequencies, especially those heavily used like the dot, FRS or GMRS channels are subject to numerous forms of interference which causes static or what some call birdies.

While it might be easy to blame the scanner, I believe if you investigate further you will find there is probably an external reason for this noise. But, hey, the scanner doesn't have feelings so feel free to blame away, or sell it and buy a SDS scanner that is also supposed to do everything, but still gets interference on some frequencies.

Ubbe

You can set the scanner to either give a busy tone, be silent, or let you listen to the digital hash when it receives an encrypted signal.

Set the scanner to record that unknown burst signal and post here and we will probably be able to tell you if it just interference or if it is another digital signal, like a pager transmitter, that no scanner can decode.

/Ubbe

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
But other times I hear things are that like loud bursts of white noise static. It's on frequencies listed here as being Business (i.e. some of the Dot frequencies), and so I doubt its encryption.
Perhaps a weak decode? I'm not 100% certain that "Dot channels" have the same purpose in Canada as they do in the USA (business) but here they are often simplex (non-repeated) so you need to be in close proximity to the transmitting units to receive a reliable decode (a couple hundred yards/meters at most)

VA3WEX

Premium Subscriber
Thanks all. I'm not complaining, I have great fun with the scanner. I was just wondering what I was hearing. It may well be poorly-recieved signals of some sort--I hadn't thought of that.