SDR# I took the plunge and hoping not to drown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladynewtoSDR

Premium Subscriber
I am new to SDR and know absolutely nothing about it. I realize I have lots to learn but I am home most of the time because I am a caregiver for my spouse who is a disabled U.S Army veteran. I have always liked listening to scanner traffic. I have a brand new hackRF one still in the box, and a brand new raspberry pi, still in the box.

I am working with a 7 year old hp pavillion laptop (not my main computer). It has 750 gb hdd and 6gb ram.

About 2 months ago I managed to get ubuntu installed on it., but have been too busy to do anything with it.

What I would like to be able to do.... is listen to local digital police/fire channels and maybe some tow trucks or private businesses etc.

(I'm easily entertained).

Should I do this with with windows 10 (which is on my much newer regular computer--hp laptop; 4 gb ram, 500 gb hdd) or should I use the ubuntu (where I need to learn some Linux, maybe Python, and install gnu radio)??

Thanks.

slicerwizard

Not sure that a HackRF is the best choice for SDR-based monitoring. I think you'd be better off with an inexpensive rtlsdr dongle plus a compatible antenna, i.e. one with an SMA connector, and some of the Windows-compatible digital decoders.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Should I do this with with windows 10 (which is on my much newer regular computer--hp laptop; 4 gb ram, 500 gb hdd) or should I use the ubuntu (where I need to learn some Linux, maybe Python, and install gnu radio)??

Thanks.

I would argue that there is nothing wrong with learning some Linux and Python, its a really good gateway into learning computer programming. Considering the age of the computer, Ubuntu might be a better choice than Windows 10, but those specs 'should' still be enough for Windows 10, and there are methods to booting and using both, it just really depends on how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go.

Aside from using DSDplus, DSDplus Fast Lane, or Unitrunker to trunk track and control and RTL-SDR dongle (or other device) or using Unitrunker, there are other software applications available for trunk tracking in Linux.

Perhaps what it may come down to, more than anything, is what all kinds of radio systems are available in your area, and finding out which software supports that system type, but I would say that for the most part, you can find software on Linux that can do that particular system.

ladynewtoSDR

Premium Subscriber
I would argue that there is nothing wrong with learning some Linux and Python, its a really good gateway into learning computer programming. Considering the age of the computer, Ubuntu might be a better choice than Windows 10, but those specs 'should' still be enough for Windows 10, and there are methods to booting and using both, it just really depends on how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go.

Aside from using DSDplus, DSDplus Fast Lane, or Unitrunker to trunk track and control and RTL-SDR dongle (or other device) or using Unitrunker, there are other software applications available for trunk tracking in Linux.

Perhaps what it may come down to, more than anything, is what all kinds of radio systems are available in your area, and finding out which software supports that system type, but I would say that for the most part, you can find software on Linux that can do that particular system.

Thank you for replying.
I forgot to mention in my post that I have a friend with a ham radio who lives in the Florida panhandle, and I would like to be able to talk to him on it. Eventually.
The police and fire in this area use digital op1 and digital op2, to the best of my knowledge.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Thank you for replying.
I forgot to mention in my post that I have a friend with a ham radio who lives in the Florida panhandle, and I would like to be able to talk to him on it. Eventually.
The police and fire in this area use digital op1 and digital op2, to the best of my knowledge.

Hey, no problem. As far as transmitting with a HackRF, or anything like that to talk to others, just make sure you have a ham operators license. I know one thing for sure, and that's that I don't have enough information on things like that and can't help you with transmitting and talking to others, but there are plenty of people at this forum who can help with that. As for myself, I'm just a listener, and not a talker, so I can't advise anybody on those matters :ROFLMAO:.

Status
Not open for further replies.