I tried to find a post regarding this, Are scanners allowed on amtrack trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Specifically the empire east/west line to Portland,Ore. ?
Just curious for future reference, in case I make a trip that way.

Thanks for any info,

n9zas

kma371

QRT
I used my scanner daily during my commute on the train. Conductor even gave me the freqs and an old timetable. My suggestion is just be discreet about it (use headphones). I don't think there is any rule forbidding it.

BTW it's "Amtrak"

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Scanners on trains

I have used mine and my amateur HT on several trains. Use a headset to avoid bothering others and you shouldn't have any problems. With the possibility of railroads moving to some form of digital (NXDN?), there won't be much to hear. I have also used mine on the Megabus without any problem. Just remember to check the state you are traveling in if you do not have an amateur license.

k6cpo

I used my amateur HT as a scanner on a two-day trip on Amtrak's Coast Starlight from Los Angeles to Seattle. I didn't have a headset for it at the time, but most of the time I was in my compartment where others couldn't hear it. When I went into the public areas of the train, I kept the volume turned down to the point where I could barely hear to keep from bothering others. I never had any issues with ans of the several conductors on the train.

I'll be taking the Amtrak Sunset Limited from New Orleans to Los Angeles in September and I have purchased a headset for my HT just in case...

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
I used my scanner last year when i was on the Empire Builder and the Cardinal going to Cincinnati to meet my brother and do the Dayton Hamvention, never had any sqwaks from anyone on the trains at all, i did use my Ipod headset, so that was good. As has already been said, use headphones and ya should be good to go. Another bit to be aware of, when i was on the Cardinal from Chicago to Cincinnati they were in quiet hours, so be sure to use a headset and keep the volume low. Have a groovy trip on Amtrak, you`ll defenitely enjoy the ride :D. N9NRA

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
I've been riding Amtrak trains from California to Quebec and Washington State to Florida since the mid-1970s with scanners/monitors without once having a problem with crews or other passengers, but as has already been mentioned, always use earbuds or earphones and keep them turned down, especially if you're sitting right next to another passenger.

The Amtrak website itself says the same thing,
"To maintain a pleasant environment for all passengers, we require that when using radios, CD players, DVD players, TVs, and all other audio/visual devices, passengers use earphones or headphones, and that the volume be kept low.

"Also, in consideration of others, please switch cell phones, electronic watches, pagers, and PCs to silent mode.
http://www.amtrak.com/onboard-the-train-personal-electronic-devices
Many of my trips have included the Empire Builder between CHI-SEA (Trains 7/8) and CHI-PDX (Trains 27/28). A few times crewmembers have seen my scanner and given me tips such as "If you're listening to us, we change to Channel 76 from Spokane to Whitefish," but my experience has been that crews in the west tend to be more laid back about it than in the east.

In general, don't expect to hear a lot of radio traffic for your particular train most of the time, other than a quick "that'll do, Amtrak 27" and "Amtrak 28, highball Pasco" as the conductor radios the engineer that the train is ready to stop at/leave each station.

Specifically the empire east/west line to Portland,Ore. ?
Just curious for future reference, in case I make a trip that way.

Thanks for any info,

n9zas

Last edited:

dbsar

Premium Subscriber
Ditto. I was lucky cause engineer was on his last run b4 retiring, lots of radio traffic.

jaymatt1978

Bottom line don't cause any attention to yourself and you won't have any problems. I have had sc anners on a lot of Amtrak trains and never had trouble. Also use earphones to not to distrub other people

Darth_vader

"but as has already been mentioned, always use earphones and keep them turned down, especially if you're sitting right next to another passenger."

Which, really, is just common courtesy on any form of public transportation, be it Amtrak or a city bus.

In fact, like Amtrak, headphone use is mandated in C-Tran bylaws. Now, if only they would do something about all those damned cell phone yakkers on the #4, #37 and #80 routes during c/rush hour...

omrail

I was on the Empire builder back in November and had my scanner on with no headphones but Had the volume low. My room was directly across from the sleeping car attendance room and he had no issues with it. In fact we were actually talking about the radio at one point. I would say just be respectful of everybody around you and you should ok.

Disclaimer The sleeping car tenant as well as the rest of the crew know I was a conductor for another railway.

Status
Not open for further replies.