I upgraded my 996P2 with DMR and not hearing alot but its reading it?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drumbum

The control channels I have found usually come up CAP or CON and single frequency systems DMR

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Drumbum

Also the control channel at least on a CON system does have voice, I have figured a couple multi site systems out the control was LCN 1 on all of them around here

Drumbum

I have mine on 8 but that was default on the bcd436, UPMAN may know as I don't have the scanner you have

cg

Premium Subscriber
You could post a few of the frequencies and perhaps some local might be able to ID the user/use

chris

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber

I can go on and on. But for now im calling Scanner Master!

Drumbum

I've heard voice on every DMR control channel I have ran across so far in my area

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire

So just to clarify:

You have a 100ft tower?
You have a $400 scanner?
You paid $60 for the DMR upgrade of said scanner?

But you can't (or won't) spring $10 for a RTL-SDR...??? I'm confused! :confused:

SDR# Software == FREE
DSDPlus == FREE (though the free version is pretty limited)

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
so just to clarify:

You have a 100ft tower? Yup
you have a $400 scanner? Yup
you paid $60 for the dmr upgrade of said scanner? Yup

but you can't (or won't) spring $10 for a rtl-sdr...??? I'm confused! :confused:

Sdr# software == free
dsdplus == free (though the free version is pretty limited)

i never said that!

zwc

Premium Subscriber
Set up and scan DMR "systems". Consult the RR database for your area. You will have to program both the correct frequencies and corresponding LCNs for each system.

When I "search" for DMR signals my 996P2 stops on a lot of DMR hits with no audio. Usually it just displays a color code. Occasionally it will play audio, but usually it doesn't. These frequencies are known to be "Control Channels" because my SDR dongle also doesn't receive audio on them, just a continuous DMR signal.

When I scan DMR "systems" I've programmed I get a lot of audio transmissions and NO hits without audio. Set up the system with "ID SEARCH" and it will only stop when someone talks and you don't have to know what their ID is in advance. Press MENU, then ENTER to save the ID once it's displayed.

My DMR threshold is set to AUTO.

Paul Opitz/UPMan posted this on the Uniden Wiki page relating to the 996P2 DMR upgrade:

quote:

DMR Reception in Custom or Service Searches:
During a search, when the scanner stops on a DMR transmission, the following information will be displayed:
DMR -- for DMR One-Frequency systems. The scanner will also display the current slot number (S1 or S2) and the received color code.
CON -- for MotoTRBO Connect Plus systems. The scanner will also display the current slot number (S1 or S2) and the received color code.
CAP -- for MotoTRBO Capacity Plus systems. The scanner will also display the current slot number (S1 or S2), and the received color code.
DT3 -- for DMR Tier III Trunked system. The scanner will also display the current slot number (S1 or S2) and the received color code.

Programming and Using DMR and MotoTRBO Systems:
There are three different ways to program DMR/MotoTRBO, depending on the type of channel and what you are trying to do.

If you are trying to discover the correct settings for a new system, program the channels as conventional channels:
MENU -- > Program System --> New System (or scroll to existing list to use and press E)
Conventional, then E/Yes to confirm
Edit Name, if desired.
Edit Group -- > New Group
Edit Name, if desired.
Edit Channel -- > New Channel then input the frequency.
Set Audio Type -- > Digital Only then set Search (for any Color Code) or Set DMR Color Code and select the code used by the service.

Of course, you can also set any of the other settings (quick keys, number tags, delays, etc), but above is the essential settings to use. Repeat for each channel.

During conventional scan, when the scanner stops on a DMR transmission, the following information will be displayed:

DMR -- for DMR One-Frequency systems. The scanner will also display the current slot number (S1 or S2) and the received color code, if you selected Search when programming the channel.
CON -- for MotoTRBO Connect Plus systems. The scanner will also display the current slot number (S1 or S2) and the received color code, if you selected Search when programming the channel.
CAP -- for MotoTRBO Capacity Plus systems. The scanner will also display the current slot number (S1 or S2), the received color code if you selected Search when programming the channel.
DT3 -- for DMR Tier III Trunked system. The scanner will also display the current slot number (S1 or S2) and the received color code if you selected Search when programming the channel.

Programming a DMR One-Frequency System:
If you want to follow and/or alpha tag specific talk group/slot combinations on a DMR frequency, then you must program the frequency as a DMR One Frequency system.
The following is a supplement to the Owner's Manual. It only covers the settings that are unique to a DMR One-Frequency system.
MENU --> Program System --> New System --> DMR One Frequency
Edit Site --> New Site --> Set Frequencies --> New Frequency
Enter the frequency, then press E.

If you want to limit reception to only transmissions on a particular color code, select Color Code Option, then Set DMR Color Code and set the color you wish to use.
Repeat for additional frequencies (rare for DMR One-Frequency Systems).
Repeatedly press MENU to return to the system menu, then select Edit Group if you wish to program Talk Group/Slot Channels. Otherwise,select Edit Sys Option and set ID Search to On.
Select New Group --> Edit Channel --> New Channel
Input the TGID.
Set TDMA Slot, then select Any for either slot, 1, or 2.

Programming a MotoTRBO Connect Plus, Capacity Plus, XPT, or DMR Tier III System
The following is a supplement to the Owner's Manual. It only covers settings that are unique to DMR Trunked systems.
Program as MotoTRBO.
At the Site level, enter the frequencies. As you enter each frequency, you will be prompted to enter an LCN:
You must enter the correct LCN.
Enter a color for each frequency, if desired. Entering the color used by the system for that frequency will help to prevent cochannel interference. It is similar to NAC or CTCSS/DCS.
At the Channel level, enter the Talk Groups into channels as you would other types of trunked systems."

Unquote.

Here's a link to Paul's complete post: http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/DigitalMobileRadioUpgradeforBCDxxxP2

Hope something here helps!

-ZWC

Last edited:

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
Actually, you did, in post #20 of this thread.

EXCUSE ME!!!

He asked me if I had a DSD and I said no, Not NO im not gonna buy one. :roll::roll::roll::roll:

ZWC has giving me a great read and that is where im gonna start tomorrow! Thanks for everyones help! God Bless

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.