I used to be able to receive Montgomery County trunking ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
During the design phase for FIRST, the state cut back on towers in MontCo to save money, stating that they would use ISSI to make up for coverage holes. If you look at the state's tower site plan for the county, the west towards the Potomac River lacks coverage - there is only one site west of I-270, and that site is on Persimmon Tree road near the Beltway. MontCo however, is building four new sites west of I-270 more or less near the Potomac River (an area of poor coverage.) The were testing ISSI a few years ago by linking the Baltimore Simulcast cell with PG - not sure if that connection is still up.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Yeah that's why I said I'd never seen an operational deployment of inter-system roaming. The testing I'm familiar with; operational implementation I have not yet seen... and from class experience it's a mess to set up for real operational use.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Well, they have said that the NCR / Southern Md Zone would be the most complex - maybe that's part of what they were hinting at.

Mr_Boh

Yeah that's why I said I'd never seen an operational deployment of inter-system roaming. The testing I'm familiar with; operational implementation I have not yet seen... and from class experience it's a mess to set up for real operational use.

PG allows SHA to roam from FiRST onto their system.... Not public safety mission critical purpose, but used daily.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
Their is one that I can see where a monkey unit might need to roam onto the OC system is after a major storm hits the eastern part of the state and monkey sends some units to OC for a week or 2 of mutual aid. By have access to the MD 1st system that might be programed into their radios unless they take a p2 portable with MD 1st TG's programed into it would be one way for monkey to work in the eastern shore. Of course the p2 system would have to revert to P1 in order for the mobile units to work. I do remember a couple of units from 742 were dispatched to Ocean city for 3 or 4 day detail at 34th and Coastal Hwy

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Their is one that I can see where a monkey unit might need to roam onto the OC system is after a major storm hits the eastern part of the state and monkey sends some units to OC for a week or 2 of mutual aid. By have access to the MD 1st system that might be programed into their radios unless they take a p2 portable with MD 1st TG's programed into it would be one way for monkey to work in the eastern shore. Of course the p2 system would have to revert to P1 in order for the mobile units to work. I do remember a couple of units from 742 were dispatched to Ocean city for 3 or 4 day detail at 34th and Coastal Hwy
The cache radios, and likely MC's radio are programmed with the MD TAC TGs which are hosted on the FIRST system. So theoretically, when a MCDFRS unit is sent to OC, they would switch their radios to the MD TAC channel zone, and operate on the FIRST system directly. No need for ISSI. MEMA / OCOEM could then patch the MD TAC TG to an OC local TG if required. The model that you suggested would require ISSI connections from multiple jurisdictions (not only MC would be sending resources) to work - probably not enough ports / system resources.

Last edited:

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
You are right it would require a lot of ISSI connections and i do not know if monkey has programed the MD interops channels into the portables that they have now. When they make the switch from smartzone to P1 or P2 it would really be easier for them to have coms with OC/Worcester County plus being able to talk to Atlantic General Hosp in Berlin,30 miles away or PGH in Sal. for any trauma pt..

Status
Not open for further replies.