I want a NMO Multiband Antenna for my new BCD996T. What's Best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

STiMULi

I am a ham and I currently use a dual band Ham antenna with great results as my scanner antenna.

BUT!

I have not really cared a whole lot about 800 mhz previously and now I know it's time to give a damn.

I have done some research and found a few antennas. One is an UGLY mobile discone from Diamond. I can not see this on the roof of my STi. Another was the Larsen Tribander. It is about 16 inches long and seems by the specs to be a decent antenna. I saw the Spectra by Austin but it seems to be over priced and ugly. I want an antenna that will not blow over at Montana* speeds (no comments please :)).

I also found the Diamond NR2000NA that is a tribander but the 3rd band is 1.2 ghz. I do not know enough about antennas to know if and how it could be modified for best reception in the 800 mhz band.

(* Insert Preferred Speed here)

What do you guys suggest!

RISC777

STiMULi :
I've been using a Maxrad 1/4 wave permanently mounted. It ships 24" but the height will change depending on how you tune it. It's a unity gain, but the spec.s of 118 to 940 MHz gets me in my area great reception (VHF, UHF, and 800). Mounted it myself, no leaks, freeway speeds don't affect it, touchless car washes haven't touched it. And for the $7.00 I paid for it (less mount, cable, etc.) it's been well worth it.

For tuning it ships with a chart for angle of tip to edge of the surface you've mounted it to, then you know how much to trim off. The ball for the top is kept on with a set screw, so that's no issue. Stainless steel material, but very easily trimmed.

That Larsen NMO150/450/800...if anyone's showing it for more than $27.00, you're paying too much. :)

Dang, that Diamond NR2000NA is uggggly. :eek:

The image is the Maxrad.

Attachments

• maxrad.jpg
    maxrad.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 429

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'd look into the NilJon, which does use a NMO mount. However, at Montana speeds, I can't help but thinking a controller at your local airport might make a mistake :.>>

73s Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.