I want to make this antenna or one better in a similar form-factor, but I need some pointers. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

didymus

Hello,

The form-factor of this antenna is perfect for what I need it for. There might even be a way to improve on it, but I do not know what that might look like. The antenna would be for wifi and I'd like it "stubby" like this as to avoid brush/trees because it would be mounted on the roof of a vehicle.

Would have *two* antennas like this improve reception in any way? I know there are some wifi adapters that have 2 antennas. I'm not sure why they have that, but I've seen various "industrial" wifi devices that have had even more like 6. What does adding more of the same antenna do exactly? Just improve quality of reception or also increase somewhat in overall range?

What should I be reading on in order to make an antenna like this or, perhaps, an even better one?

I'm okay with looking at a picture and just sort of copying what I see, but I want to at least understand some basic general principles so I'm not totally flying blind. Anyway, that is why I am posting this here.

Any constructive input is really appreciated!

Thank you

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
- You can purchase pre-made WiFi antennas that are smaller and stick them on your own mag mount.

- You can do multiple antennas, but it's not as easy as just 'T'ing" them together with a coax adapter. The units you see with multiple antennas are either multiple radios paired up on different bands (2.4GHz, 5.8GHz and now some with 3.5GHz). Or they are a diversity receive system where the radio picks from two different receivers/antennas to get the best signal. They don't have anything to do with really increasing range, other than just picking from the strongest available signal. It might improve coverage a bit, but that's it.

If you want to run multiple antennas, your best bet is to get a WiFi access point that has multiple antenna ports.

Ubbe

I know there are some wifi adapters that have 2 antennas. I'm not sure why they have that, but I've seen various "industrial" wifi devices that have had even more like 6.
They are using diversity, one receiver for each antenna, to be able to use the antenna that has the best signal. Some WiFi adapters have gimmick antennas that are just connected together that do not enhance any signals.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.