• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

I want to personally thank...

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
…the a$$hat that thought holding the weather head on with a ty-wrap was a good idea.
They never fail on a warm sunny day in June.
Got a call from our PD at about 4pm. Someone found an odd metal object outside the building. Someone figured out it was the top of a weather head. Only weather heads on the building are used as coax feed throughs. They are concerned that it is raining, and expect to rain hard for the next few days. Missing weather head is a bad idea.
So, I respond.
screws are corroded into the aluminum weather head. I had to drill new holes. Tap said holes. Install new screws.
Still raining. But now the added benefit of dark and cold.
Steep pitch roof. Wet roof. All the antennas are set down the steep ridge line of the rooftop. Roof is wet. At least there's a safety cable.
Into the full body harness, climb up the ladder, out onto the roof. Climb around antennas to get to the weather head that's missing its head. Of course some installer decided that fixing it wasn't important and one ty-wrap to hold it on was sufficient for the "tail-light guarantee".
Attach the top, start screwing it down, drop the screwdriver down the roof and it disappears. Fortunately I don't hear anyone yell "OUCH", so I figure I'm good.
(dropping a screwdriver off the roof and onto a passing police officer sounds like the plot for a Arlo Guthrie Jr. song)​
Finished up with a leatherman tool. Managed to not drop that.
Climb back along the roof peak. Still raining. Still cold. Still dark. Wind my way around the other antennas. Silently cursing the moron that designed the facility. He should have been tarred and feathered, then horsewhipped. Back down the hatch. Out of the harness. Everything back in the truck. Then go look for the screwdriver. Found it, but it's inaccessible on a section of roof I'm not going to climb in the rain.

I want to personally thank the jackwagon that figured a ty-wrap was "good enough". These things always fail at night, in the rain. I also want to personally thank the "expert" architect that decided a proper tower was "ugly" and putting everything down the roof peak was a great idea.

Sure beats sitting in the office, though.

K4EET

Chaplain
Hey @mmckenna, you’re the best! That is why we pick you for these mission critical jobs to fix the screwups of the low-life that try to make your job miserable. After all, who wants to be sitting in the office on a rainy, cold and ever darkening late afternoon? Oh, and by the way, when you’re done, take the rest of the day off. You deserve it!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hey @mmckenna, you’re the best! That is why we pick you for these mission critical jobs to fix the screwups of the low-life that try to make your job miserable. After all, who wants to be sitting in the office on a rainy, cold and ever darkening late afternoon? Oh, and by the way, when you’re done, take the rest of the day off. You deserve it!

I'll take that over any budget meeting I've ever been stuck in.
Great view from up there.
My biggest beef is leaving the screwdriver behind. I take pride in my tools and losing one is painful.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
For the win:

24111.jpg

I've had one of these for 20+ years now. Found it left behind at a site. Saved me twice in as many weeks.

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like it was a white zip tie.
Same Larry Lowes types who use white jacketed cable wires on outside house wraps so it blends better, and in 5 years when it is cracked and sucking water, blame the cable company for installing it ( along with their crushed on 3 piece archer F connectors and gold splitters )

WB5UOM

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like a day in the life of a Radio Technician.
Brings back a dark badly storming day here in 1985 - large un named oil company with a new Company man trailer on the drill site.
I figured I was home free as there was no way to mount the antenna on the crank up tower without some welding... (come back later - right?)
Company man told me to wait... He went and got a welder who then proceeded to tell me that he would not normally do this in this kind of bad weather BUT he wanted to see ME put the antenna up per the Company mans instruction.
I was a new hire at that time - when I got back to the Office my Boss said I did not have to do that. Go figure.

And Yes -- Duct Tape would have been the correct choice.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Duct tape was something that crossed my mind. If I hadn't been able to reattach it, I would cover the pipe with duct tape. But to make my life hard, I made sure I didn't put it in the bucket.

Black ty-wrap, but not done right.
"And I would have got away with it, too, if it wasn't for you pesky radio techs!"

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Reminds me of a scene from the Boondock Saints...diversity of a certain word.

And I've certainly put that scene to shame at a customer location looking at the hop dumpster fire left by the previous shop.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I will never claim to be a radio professional, but some of the stuff I have seen on new construction recently are things that even I know are way wrong.

I hope you get your screwdriver back. If there is anything worse than loosing a tool on site, it is knowing exactly where it is and not being able to get to it safely before the rust sets in.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I hope you get your screwdriver back. If there is anything worse than loosing a tool on site, it is knowing exactly where it is and not being able to get to it safely before the rust sets in.

If not, there will be a candle light vigil held on Friday.

I'm going to go back with a length of conduit and see if I can liberate it. Never leave a fallen tool behind. We look after our own. I'll gladly spend a few hundred dollars worth of time to recover that $9 screwdriver.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
If not, there will be a candle light vigil held on Friday.

I'm going to go back with a length of conduit and see if I can liberate it. Never leave a fallen tool behind. We look after our own. I'll gladly spend a few hundred dollars worth of time to recover that $9 screwdriver.

A piece of butyl wrapped around whatever will reach the item has recovered many things for me. Tools, phones, pagers (yeah, I’m old), keys and even a wallet.

mastr

You didn't have a trash bag and a couple more ty-wraps to last until the weather was better?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You didn't have a trash bag and a couple more ty-wraps to last until the weather was better?

I carry a roll of duct tape in the truck. 25 years now and I've never needed it to do a repair.
I don't cut corners. I do it right the first time. If I'm hooking in and climbing out there, I'm going to do it right.

mastr

I agree with that, but also despise working in the rain. Seems to me that rain just helps things to go wrong somehow.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I agree with that, but also despise working in the rain. Seems to me that rain just helps things to go wrong somehow.

I get it.
I'm kind of the opposite. I get bored working on sunny days when it's a perfect 75º. It's too easy.
I've had jobs where working in truly nasty conditions and I got to the point where I enjoyed the challenge. I've done everything from installation of navigational aids in the Bering Sea to work in the desert, climbing towers on 110º days. It's all part of the experience.

And part of the experience is getting to complain about it.