• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

I want to personally thank...

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
My biggest beef is leaving the screwdriver behind. I take pride in my tools and losing one is painful.
For the win:
I've had one of these for 20+ years now. Found it left behind at a site. Saved me twice in as many weeks.

I can relate; I hate misplacing or losing my tools and have enough invested in them that I won't even loan them out. I'm the happy owner of a decent Kobalt ratcheting multi-tip screwdriver that a Motorola install tech left behind at one of our sites when they installed the system.

Price for the thing at the time was around $25 or so, and assuming everyone else is about their tools the way I am about mine, I called the install shop to ask their techs if someone lost a screwdriver.

Nobody 'fessed up, so it became mine by default. It's been a godsend screwing rack screws in/out if I didn't have my drill handy; I've accidentally left it at sites a couple of times since, and went back the next day to rescue it from a fate worse than death.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I got a phone one day from a service provider. He found my knife which had been missing for a year or two. Turns out I left it at a site during a GTR8000 ESS upgrade. He knew it was mine as soon as he saw it, grabbed it and shipped it out (as I had moved out of the area).

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
I'd bet that the chief of police and or his/her designee spec'ed out the building and said no to the tower.

Years ago, we were told that our north substation was going to be a duplex fire station and a PD station. The FD side was well designed and purposeful. We got a building that had a 1950s era line up room with cheap one way glass, a useless booking area, and no holding cells. We were supposed to handcuff prisoners to a metal D-ring bolted to a slump block wall. No separate adult / juvenile booking areas as required by the USSC.

None of those features could be utilized and over half the station was useless to us. Who designed it? A moron of a Lieutenant whose sole function was generating forms for everything else. The architect fought with him, but the city listened to only him because he was a Lieutenant!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I can relate; I hate misplacing or losing my tools and have enough invested in them that I won't even loan them out. I'm the happy owner of a decent Kobalt ratcheting multi-tip screwdriver that a Motorola install tech left behind at one of our sites when they installed the system.

Price for the thing at the time was around $25 or so, and assuming everyone else is about their tools the way I am about mine, I called the install shop to ask their techs if someone lost a screwdriver.

Nobody 'fessed up, so it became mine by default. It's been a godsend screwing rack screws in/out if I didn't have my drill handy; I've accidentally left it at sites a couple of times since, and went back the next day to rescue it from a fate worse than death.

I scored one from the Motorola tech back when we ran a Type 2 system. I still have it in my desk drawer. Guy never came back, but that was about the time I tossed that system.

I think some people just don't care about their tools and will just scrounge a replacement when they discover it's gone. Or, run to the hardware store.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'd bet that the chief of police and or his/her designee spec'ed out the building and said no to the tower.

Was not the Chief. I was involved in the project. We had some people on the team that shouldn't have been, that's for sure, but the Chief wasn't one of them.

It came down to stupid people worried about aesthetics. Sometimes people complain enough that you just have to give in and let it go.
But the guy that designed the place wasn't much of a help. He was worried more about his image.

jhooten

I scored one from the Motorola tech back when we ran a Type 2 system. I still have it in my desk drawer. Guy never came back, but that was about the time I tossed that system.

I think some people just don't care about their tools and will just scrounge a replacement when they discover it's gone. Or, run to the hardware store.

Usually they are working for a company that buys tools for them. At the end of their fiscal year, knowing they were going to get new tools soon I've had contractors drop like new tools in my tool bag. When I called up others to tell them they left something at the job site they would say "it's not worth the gas/time to drive back to get it."

If I broke a phillips bit I had to beg to get a replacement.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
Did a site a number of years ago where we had to install a 4th "dummy" antenna so everything would be symmetrical.
Kind of like 4th smoke stack on Titanic, it was just for show although I heard it did provide some ventilation for the men's smoking room

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Kind of like 4th smoke stack on Titanic, it was just for show although I heard it did provide some ventilation for the men's smoking room

Ventilation, housed the kennels and some other things. Not just limited to Titanic though as both Olympic and Britannic had their fourth funnels as dummy's. You see this all throughout the age of the ocean liners as the public generally equated more funnels to more power and speed but as we get into the "modern" (and finial) generation of ocean liners we see more emphasis on streamlining and reducing the funnels to only what is needed. A great example, SS America started out with two funnels but when Chandris reacquired her they removed the forward (dummy) funnel due to it being corroded to the point of not being salvageable.

meb

Was not the Chief. I was involved in the project. We had some people on the team that shouldn't have been, that's for sure, but the Chief wasn't one of them.

It came down to stupid people worried about aesthetics. Sometimes people complain enough that you just have to give in and let it go.
But the guy that designed the place wasn't much of a help. He was worried more about his image.
Moved a 50 foot tower to a new PD building. Had 40 foot up when two town board members stopped by. They said not to add the last section. they called later very mad wanting to know why we did not stop at 40 feet. We had a time telling them that the 12 db ant. had to be placed on top. One of them asked me if the the ant. was truly needed. Same group had only 3 outlets in the radio room.

bharvey2

Oh man, this should be a permanent forum heading. I could probably quit my job and write full time. I have a knack for running across work done by people who appear to try to "outstupid" one another.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Well yeah, it's the newest fad: wireless outlets.

The same PSAP that has this silly antenna setup also involved an electrical contractor that tried the "wireless outlet" trick on us. When we moved in, we found several outlets that didn't work. Since I'm not officially an electrician, I kicked it over to the right people.

They checked with their meter, no juice.
Take the outlet cover off.
Remove the outlet.
Yep, no wires going back to the panel.
Found a bunch like that.

Electrical contractor didn't do their job.
Inspector didn't do their job.

Whole place was little Charlie Foxtrots like that.