• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

I was bored...and had paint. Result: Custom radio covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
DSC_0457.jpg

Basecoat/clearcoat automotive urethane finish.

This is what happens when I've got spare paint and a little too much time on my hands.

I guess I could sell custom cover painting services. 50 bucks minimum, or 10 bucks each
with a minimum of 5 in any given color. You provide the cover, or I sell you one. I have new 5100
covers available. (scan model)

Some flaws show up that aren't really there. Due to the angle of the flash, some fingerprints are even visible.

This was just a trial run. I can certainly make a better fire engine red.

Elroy

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
I do have gold but didn't bother to try it out.

In my "other" life, I build guitars and do my own paint work, hence the availability of certain colors.

I need a better red, something really classy for the firemen who want to match their radios to their
vehicles. And a metallic pink/magenta for the "girly girls" working for the county. And let's not
forget a nice bright green for the forestry guys!

Elroy

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
If there's an actual MARKET for it, and it's moderately profitable, sure. Why not?

I'll paint MOST colors at the rate of 10 dollars per cover, with a 5 cover minimum per color,
and it's OK to combine your order with someone else's. But you provide the cover to be painted
for that price. I can provide good used system model covers for 50 bucks each, painted, or brand
new scan covers for 50 bucks each, painted.

I disassemble the covers as far as is required to do a good job. The LCD window is masked off, as is
the LED light pipe, all the buttons are removed, and the side connector, as it turns out, is such a poor
surface to paint on that I just paint right over it. Thirty seconds of scraping with a fingernail removes
100 percent of the paint from it. I shoot a two part basecoat/clearcoat system, and the covers are
dry and cured enough to handle in about two hours or so. I can shoot them thin, so the texture of
the front is still pretty evident, or I can shoot a thicker clearcoat for a full smooth gloss effect, which
is preferrable when painting a used cover as it hides the wear.

Of the ones shown, the dark blue one and the silver one came out best. I used a broken cover for
the light blue one, and I should have used a good one because otherwise it might be my favorite,
and in part because it's in a totally custom color, which I created five years ago to paint the guitar
I built for my nephew at that time. Here it is:

DSCN2223.jpg

Not bad for a 13th birthday present!

Elroy

Last edited:

ROOFLIFECO

Premium Subscriber
DSC_0457.jpg

Basecoat/clearcoat automotive urethane finish.

This is what happens when I've got spare paint and a little too much time on my hands.

I guess I could sell custom cover painting services. 50 bucks minimum, or 10 bucks each
with a minimum of 5 in any given color. You provide the cover, or I sell you one. I have new 5100
covers available. (scan model)

Some flaws show up that aren't really there. Due to the angle of the flash, some fingerprints are even visible.

This was just a trial run. I can certainly make a better fire engine red.

Elroy

One Word.....STUNNING!

You do awesome work Chris! The fire engine red is so cool. Keep up the great work! Post any other pix of previous projects that you might have. We'd love to see it!

Status
Not open for further replies.