I would like to hear from folks that are satisfied with there SDS200?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
I for one have both the SDS100 and 200 and will say they both perform well for me. Are they both 100% to my satisfaction no but I would buy them both again. I was just wondering if there are any positive reports out there, as I read through R/R it seems I read about users with multiple problems. Yes I hear a hum from my speaker but only after I was told it was there and I had to put the speaker very close to me ear to hear it. Keypad would I like it brighter Yes, but mine is still very usable the way it is.
So are there any other users that are happy with there SDS200? I think that if I was dissatisfied as many users seem to be I would have sent it back to my place of purchase by now and not agrivate myself day after day. You should never have to trouble shoot or buy anything to fix a problem, not for the money you have spent. Only exception may be an antenna!
I have a buddy that got one the same day I got mine and yes there is a slight difference, his keypad is brighter and I didn't really hear a hum from his speaker.
I wonder why Uniden hasn't put out a statement by now explaining in detail what there feelings are, and I don't mean it's in Spec. or it's Normal, if they have and I missed it please direct me to it. Thank You

Moderator if this doesn't belong here please move it. Thanks

bagmouse7

Premium Subscriber
No problems and I am having a lot of fun playing with mine, that’s what this hobby is all about, right?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
No problems with my SDS200. I do not have the hum. The keypad backlight is dim, but usable in a dark room. However, mine will be used as a base, so no issue for me. If it was in a vehicle, it might be too dim as your night vision is impacted not only by street lights and your dash lights, but also from headlights from oncoming vehicles as well as those close behind you.

I will say that the 200, so far, is more sensitive than I expected. Using a telescoping antenna, I'm hearing some signals that are missed by other scanners I own. I've heard one P25 TRS, on the other side of the county from me, that I was not hearing on scanners connected to external antennas, nor on others using one of the 800MHz antennas (Radio Shack or Remtronix).

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
My SDS200 is quickly becoming my favorite scanner in my shack. Love the dazzling display, great reception, and the formidable stance on my desk. I do not have the issues that others are reporting - the hum in the speaker, dim backlight, analog weakness, etc. It performs flawlessly on my local Ohio MARCS digital simulcast P25 Phase 1 system, as well as vhf/uhf. The audio is on par with high fidelity FM radio and I am not even going to purchase an external speaker - first time ever for me. I can hear it very well blended in with the other scanners. I am considering purchasing another one for the RV for my upcoming trip to Alaska in July. I am more than satisfied with my SDS200 and it's performance, and I wish everybody could say the same. It's one fine radio

JD
kf4anc

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
Mine has a hum you can hear in a very quiet room and the keypad could be brighter. other than that, awesome scanner. i dont regret buying it. it pulls in distant signals very well, at least for p25 systems. have not really tried it for conventional stuff yet. i recommend it. you just have to roll the dice that you get one without the LOUD hum.

Attachments

• IMG_0798.jpg
    IMG_0798.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 81

94caprice9c1

I have had mine for about a week now and am completely satisfied. The reception is far superior to the 536, 436 and the 325. Great scanner. No speaker issues, the keypad is a bit dim, but that is a non issue for me.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Sold 2 of the 536 scanners which I never really liked along with a 996XT. Bought the SDS 100 with the small battery and all the first issues. Now I have the SDS 100 and two SDS 200's and they all work fine. Would I prefer the LAN on the rear YEP. Is the keyboard too dim, not really. Noise in the speaker, not on these two that I can hear. Overall, I really like the 200's works fine on VHF and UHF and especially Simulcast.

marksmith

Have a 100 and 200, Both as soon as they were released.
Have owned every scanner Uniden has ever made and many from other manufacturers. These two units are significantly more useful in areas served by simulcast systems. I have several around me that are 5-bar strength, but the 436 or 536 couldn't read them, These two radios will receive them flawlessly and also receive some systems that the others would not simply due to range.

These are excellent radios. I can receive over a dozen large trunked digital systems (Motorola, as well as Phase 1 and 2 digital) very cleanly in my area, but if I were in the middle of western Pennsylvania or somewhere where most systems are still vhf or uhf simplex or repeaters, these radio would not be worth it and many others in much lower price ranges would suffice.

Having the systems to be able to utilize these radios, they are great.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I'm completely satisfied with my SDS200. It's a great follow on product to the 536HP. The display is great, audio is loud and clear, and it's just easy to use.

I was on the road for a few hours yesterday and since my wife was with me and doesn't care to listen to the scanner, I had an earphone in. No annoying noises at all, just nice clean audio.

I'm just waiting for some of the legions of unhappy owners to start listing them super cheap so I can get one for the house. ;)

ke0hfc

I own both and would buy them again. I'm gifting my 436 to a family member and may replace my 536 with a 2nd 200. No hum, the backlight is fine (in console mobile application). Like others, there are things I'd like to see tweaked, but it works just fine.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Love the SDS 200 with the GPS
d9f4c71bc1903e53b557027020f3de80.jpg
eb35afd001c227600655f9af4064ec50.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jharr465

Premium Subscriber
I'm an early adopter of both the SDS100 and the SDS200 and I am very happy with both. Are they perfect? Nope! Do any of the shortfalls of either make me regret my purchases? Nope! I use both every day and they do what I need them to do. I'm glad I bought them and will certainly buy the next model from Uniden that looks like it will suit my needs.
John
KD4GAW

garys

Premium Subscriber
Is that the GPS from "mancow"?

Oh, I was able to generate a high pitched whine from the radio today. I made some changes to the display settings and some systems in Sentinel. I grabbed a random SD card from my stash and loaded the data onto it. I stuffed that into the radio in my truck and turned on the scanner. While the FLs were loading, I heard a high pitched, but very, very faint whine. In fact, if my ear wasn't within about six inches of the external speaker, I wouldn't have heard it at all. It was there, even more faintly, while the scanner was scanning, but not receiving any signals.

There is no way I could hear it when the engine was running.

When I get a chance, I'm going to swap the original card back in and listen for the whine.

It seems that it might be SD card or maybe processor related. It's no where near as loud as some people have complained about.

Last edited:

Kevinbb

PSAP-Retired
Premium Subscriber
Had my 200 about a week. No problems other than the dim left side keypad light. I'll be using it as a base. Reception is superb even a tad better than my 100 across the board. Reluctantly got rid of my 996P2 that was one heck of a scanner. Very happy with both the 100 and 200, just have to work some more overtime to replenish PayPal

SlyFerret

I'm a week in now with the SDS200. Very happy. I'm able to pull in everything that I wanted to listen to. Audio quality is great. Reception/decode is great, even for distant sites that I had no expectation that I'd be able to pull in. I'm using a little 800MHz rubber duck, so i'm pretty impressed.

I was worried that I would hate the DB based programming model, but I've quickly found that I really like it. I still have all the control that I want to have over how my scan lists/quick keys are set up and I don't have to key in a ton of frequencies or talkgroup IDs like I used to have to do with my old radio shack scanner.

-SF

garys

Premium Subscriber
One thing that I don't know if I can do or if I just haven't figured out yet. I'd like to have my conventional display set to "Simple" and my trunked display set to "Detail". I don't see a way to do that, but it's not a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.