i0 on trunking systems/scanners, what is it and what do I do with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do I use the i0 talkgroup? Is it an I-call talkgroup id? What and how do I-calls work? And how do I utilize it on trunking scanners?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
That is the wildcard ID. It will allow I-Calls to come through. An I-Call also referred to as a private call is a call between two units where only those units can hear each other's traffic. It is private on the radio system but can be heard by scanner listeners provided it is not encrypted.

I program an "I0" at the top of my talk group lists and lock it out. If I hear a unit request a private call I scroll to it and unlock it.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Program it in and see. Do you normally see radio IDs when someone transmits? If you see two IDs separated by a hyphen and they swap positions during the conversation that indicates a private call (I-Call).

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It's not weird at all. Most systems don't allow unit-to-unit transmissions, as they waste valuable system resources.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Is "I-Call" the same as "ID search"?

No, "I-Call" (also called "Private Call") is a private call between specific radios. A system that has this feature enabled allows one radio to call a specific other radio for a private conversation. Other radios will not tune into the conversation. The I-Call ID is the same as the receiving radio's ID, and the ID switches back and forth between the two radios depending on whose turn it is to receive.

bee

I have the 436, 536, and HP 2. Do these three receive I-calls?

If so, how do I program them so the will receive I-CALLS?

Thanks

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
I have the 436, 536, and HP 2. Do these three receive I-calls?

If so, how do I program them so the will receive I-CALLS?

Thanks

Yes, you program "i0" as a talkgroup as mentioned in the original post. It acts as a wildcard and will catch any private calls. Keep in mind that a majority of systems have private calls disabled, so you might not hear anything since there is nothing to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.